Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Charcoal smoker........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

Default Charcoal smoker........

My son bought me a charcoal smoker for Mother's Day. I'm crazy excited about it. I'm going to put it together today and season it per the instructions. And it's more compact than my Weber Kettle grills so I might bring it to the Shoot and Hoot if anyone would like to grill something for lunch there.

I know this isn't a very advanced smoker but I'm still so excited about it.

Now, I need ideas, tips and hints from all you experienced smokers on how to smoke a brisket, chicken, turkey, etc. I never had successfully grilled ribs until you guys here taught me how to do it. I've never had a problem grilling ribs since. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/need-advice-grill-masters-43128/ I precooked the ribs in the oven in a roasting pan with a separate pan of water in the oven then flavoured them up on the grill.

Now I need your expert advice on how to get into smoking. Start me off with something easy. Also, my son gave me a bag of apple wood chips to use, too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

Im a hickory nut thats all ill use realy,
I soak my wood in water,
Every grill ive messed with is a bit differant on its fire little over 200 cooking temp is what I look for an lots of time
I do ribs, whole chicken , some deer now an then

Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
Im a hickory nut thats all ill use realy,
I soak my wood in water,
Every grill ive messed with is a bit differant on its fire little over 200 cooking temp is what I look for an lots of time
I do ribs, whole chicken , some deer now an then
Yes, but...............how? Give me hints and tips on what I need to do to be successful.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

Well I try to give my self about 8 hours, its hard to explain just keep a close eye on the charcoal, your gana have to add to it, I check my stuff about every 30 mins check water level, an fire
Soak your apple wood overnight when you check your fire an stuff just add a couple more pieces. I like to use chunk wood not the chips they burn up to fast for my taste.
You will be successful.

What kinda smoker did you get? Im guessing you got the stand up tube type?I say tube I mean tall an round. If so there great little grills
Just build a fire like normal put your water pan in it, I use a pitcher to add water
The closer you can get your food to the water pan the better
It realy turns into a taste thing on how much smoke you like, differant wood taste differant
trial an error its great fun

Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6063 Times on 3328 Posts
Likes Given: 11615

There are some good recipes on this website. It gives you temperature and cooking times for different meats, too.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/

Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #6

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

First of all, I don't feel I am qualified to give advice to someone else -- everybody has their own views on how to smoke meat, and there are a lot of variables. As was suggested above, you can find more specific recipies on the internet.

Also, I don't have your type of smoker. I have the barrel type charcoal grill, with the attched firebox for smoking. '

For an example, here's how I smoked some country style ribs this weekend: I coated them in a dry rub, containing chili powder, red pepper, onion powder, sea salt, and garlic. I then sprinked brown suger over them, and wrapped them in two layers of foil. I cooked them in the foil at about 250 degrees for about 45 minutes -1 hour, then unwrapped them and exposed them directly to the smoke for about 30 minutes. This kept the ribs from drying out from extended smoking, but still allowed a good glaze to develop in the ribs.

I like pecan wood when I can get it.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I try to keep mine between 200 and 210. My next smoker is going to be a Traeger XL http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills# I have a home build one now. That I can do a whole hog in.

I use a Weber Smokey mnt cooker to smoke cheese in works great. Just put some kingsford in the bottom of a soup can and dry and wet chips on top. Keep the temp just below 100 and let them sit for 2 to 4 hours depending on how much smoke flavor you want.

Last edited by gunnut07; 05-14-2013 at 01:00 PM.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I like pecan wood when I can get it.
My son gave me apple wood chips but I can get pecan, cherry, hickory, mesquite.

I think I don't understand how to keep the temp at 200 degrees. I think it might be by trial and error with how much charcoal you put in the smoker, right?
racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

When I started out with a smoker I just used enough charcoal to get the fire going. Then I put wood on it. and let it smoke away.
http://youtu.be/A5xRxY7YpBI

Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My son gave me apple wood chips but I can get pecan, cherry, hickory, mesquite.

I think I don't understand how to keep the temp at 200 degrees. I think it might be by trial and error with how much charcoal you put in the smoker, right?
With my grill/smoker you can make marginal adjustments to the heat by opening or closing vents; however the main way to control the temperature is the amount of charcoal you use. If you are smoking something that takes several hours, like a brisket or turkey, you will have to add charcoal from time to time, and keeping a constant temperature can be difficult. The temp WILL vary some -- it's charcoal. But I say don't worry about it overmuch, just have fun learning it and over time you will discover what methods work best for you. Start out with something simple and cheap, like ribs or chicken. If you add meat + fire you odds are you will wind up with something edible.