changing rotors and pads - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > changing rotors and pads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I am a mechanic for a living. If I was talking to a fellow mechanic that hasn't. done it. If say its easy as hell but that person would already have knowledge of how the brakes work. But since you have no knowledge of brakes I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. People often tend to not do something right that will just cause more problems in the long run. If you must do it yourself. Use a wire brush to clean the caliper bolts and mounting bracket bolts. Use blue lock tight when putting back together. Make sure to re grease everything. Also don't re use the old axle nut. You need a c clamp to compress the piston on the caliper, and if its the screw type you will need a screw type piston compressor. Good luck. Oh also you can go about 50 and hit the brakes hard if your steering wheel vibrates side to side while slowing your front rotors are warped.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Last edited by gearhead396; 06-02-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Called the dealership I bought it at and they are going to cover the rotors under warranty

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #13

Liked 375 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm an ex mechanic and your rotors are warped if they are wobbling under brake pedal pressure and the only 2 ways to fix this is either get the rotors machined and new brake pads fitted or replace the rotors and brake pads.

If the dealership is going to cover these under warranty then I'm guessing they'll probably put new rotors and pads on.
Depending on mileage I'd ask them to re pack the wheel bearings as well and also to make sure they replace the bearing hub seal as well(which they should anyway, seals are considered consumables).

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence