Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   changing rotors and pads (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/changing-rotors-pads-91647/)

rurak 06-02-2013 04:22 PM

changing rotors and pads

I've got a 2010 f150 4x4. How difficult is it to change front rotors and pads? I've never done brakes but I have mechanical skills. Do I need any special tools? Is it something I shouldn't attempt because its a 4x4?

dragunovsks 06-02-2013 04:43 PM

Ive never done it on a truck as new as yours but Ive done mine for years.

My 04 F150 has bolts, look to be about 14mm, that hold the calipers on. Unbolt the calipers and set them behind the rotor on the hub, I try not to let them hang by the brake hoses. Your rotors should slide right off, slide on new rotors. Pop out the old pads. I use a bar clamp to push the piston in the caliper back because you'll need the extra room to put on the thicker new pads. Snap in the new pads and bolt the calipers back on.

Unless you loosen the bleeder valve you shouldnt have to bleed them when you're done because you havent introduced any air into the system.

Ive done the brakes on my own trucks, my parents cars/trucks, my brother's and sister's cars and my wife's cars.

Disc brakes are super easy to do, drums are a little more difficult but still not bad.

dragunovsks 06-02-2013 04:47 PM

Also, some auto manufacturers require a tool like this to remove the calipers. Its basically just a hex bit in a socket. This one is for dodges, its required to remove the calipers on my 01dodge dakota. Ive also used it on my mom's 01 durango and my dad's avenger.

dragunovsks 06-02-2013 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry forgot to attach a pic

Attachment 103808

rurak 06-02-2013 04:50 PM

So I don't have to touch the hub or anything besides the calipers and rotors? The truck is still under the 3 year 36k warranty till july but I am not sure if brakes are covered

dragunovsks 06-02-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak (Post 1265511)
So I don't have to touch the hub or anything besides the calipers and rotors?

You shouldnt have to

derpie 06-02-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak (Post 1265511)
So I don't have to touch the hub or anything besides the calipers and rotors? The truck is still under the 3 year 36k warranty till july but I am not sure if brakes are covered

Brakes and rotors are wearable items and aren't covered by warranty.

rurak 06-02-2013 05:30 PM

That's what I figured. Is there a way to tell what rotor is warped? When I hit the brakes the steering wheel wobbles ..

DFlynt 06-02-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak (Post 1265556)
That's what I figured. Is there a way to tell what rotor is warped? When I hit the brakes the steering wheel wobbles ..

Only good way to check for warping is have someone that can machine the rotors to check.

dragunovsks 06-02-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFlynt (Post 1265560)

Only good way to check for warping is have someone that can machine the rotors to check.

Agreed, I tried to check the rotors on my wife's Escape by laying my carpenter's square across from one side to the other. Apperently it wasnt enough to detect this way but enough to cause the shaking when the brakes were applied at speed.