A change of perspective

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A change of perspective

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default A change of perspective

Some years ago, the house I lived in was literally across a fence from a military airport. We were constantly serenaded by the sound of choppers. I found it very irritating--till one summer evening when we had some friends over for a cookout. Every few minutes, conversation had to stop for the deafening sound of a Chinook or a Huey (this was a while back) passing nearby. Everyone was growing more and more annoyed, except for my friend Bruce, a Vietnam vet, who invariably just smiled. Finally, after one particularly loud pass, I asked him: "Doesn't that noise BOTHER you?" he grinned and shook his head. "Oh, no, man," he said. "If you've ever been pinned down in the jungle with an empty clip--that's the most beautiful sound in the world."
The sound of choppers hasn't bothered me since. Perspective is everything.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thats a great post.

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton

www.sabrearms.com
www.sabrearmsairsoft.com