Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Challenge coins? does anyone collect and/or trade them?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/challenge-coins-does-anyone-collect-trade-them-92701/)

DrFootball 06-22-2013 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some background: In WWI an American Pilot was shot down(rumor has it that it was the famous Edward Rickenbacker but no one has ever been able to confirm) over the French trench lines, and was recovered by the French, who thought he was a German Flyer , when he said "Look I'm an American" and produced a "Coin" with the American Flag on one side and the insignia of The American Flyers one the other...and thus, challenge coins were born...

One of my Uncles was a WWII & Korean War Marine Corps Pilot, and later would become one of the Orig. NYPD Flight officers..He also taught me how to fly(at age 12). The first coin I ever had was from the AF Museum @ Wright/Patterson AFB, that another cousin gave me(who would go on to be CH.of Staff Of the USAF-Retiring last November after 42 Years...) Over the years I collected other coins, but I didn't begin displaying and trading them until this last year when My Wife & I bought our house and started a "Memorial Wall" to Both our Fathers-Hers was a Combat Eng. with the 25th Inf. Div. In Korea & then a NYPD Officer for 28 years, Retiring as a Supv. Lt. MY Dad Served as an Artillery Battery Sgt. In Korea (2 Years of Combat) and then began a Reserve Career that lasted until 1984, Including a Trip to Vietnam in 1965(as a criminal Investigator), and concurrently was also a Federal LEO(Post Office Police/Postal Insp.) until his passing in Late 1987(he was Also a Lt. at the time of his passing). Front of my display-from left to right: 4 of the Helicopters I flew, the Mh/UH-60 Blackhawk, UH-1 Huey, AH-1 Cobra, and the Kiowa Warrior(OH-58D), US Army Combat Action, Vietnam Memorial Wall coin, US Army Aviation Coin, IAVA.Org coin. Rear: Decoration coins-PH, Bronze Star, Silver star, DFC, Soldiers Medal, Air Medal,(still missing a few! Not even Medals of America Makes Army Comm. Or MSM Coins!) and My Unit Coins-1st Cav, 160th Sp.Ops Av. Batt./Grp.(now a Regt.) and 10th Av Brigade/10th Mtn..... I also Carry an Oval shaped US Army Aviator Coin in my right pocket.....and trade The Army Aviation Coins & Army Veteran Core Values Coins to get others which go in a different display(I have extras of those)....
Attachment 107131

sniper762 06-23-2013 12:32 AM

the name "challenge coin" means that if you have been issued a unit's coin (log kept of all recipients} and are CHALLENGED by a fellow recipient (usually at a bar). then you must display it.....if not, you must buy the challenger a drink.
'

JW357 06-23-2013 05:08 AM

Nice collection football. I myself only have one. It is President George W. Bush's Commander in Chief coin, given to me by the man himself. Ill post a picture tomorrow when I'm off work.

It is probably my most (sentimentally) valuable thing I own. Except for my wedding ring.

DrFootball 06-26-2013 10:11 PM

Awesome!!

Outstanding JW! We met Mr. Regan & Mr.Bush Sr. when they "Greeted" us at the WH...I was Still recovering from my injuries and My PT & Critical Care Nurse both wanted me in a Wheelchair,..but I got a few of the Boys to get me a Pr. of Crutches!!!:cool:

JW357 06-26-2013 11:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball
Outstanding JW! We met Mr. Regan & Mr.Bush Sr. when they "Greeted" us at the WH...I was Still recovering from my injuries and My PT & Critical Care Nurse both wanted me in a Wheelchair,..but I got a few of the Boys to get me a Pr. of Crutches!!!:cool:

Sorry. Completely forgot to post the pictures.

Attachment 107679

Attachment 107680

DrFootball 06-26-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWSchramm

Sorry. Completely forgot to post the pictures.

Nice! hope you keep it in a safe secure place...

scottmac 06-26-2013 11:36 PM

I have a coin from R. Lee Ermy while he was on a Glock tour. I told him I was a Corpsman at LeJeune, and he palmed it to me when we shook hands goodbye (with a Semper Fi!).

I have one from Sig too, good for some discounts.

rhyno13 06-26-2013 11:42 PM

I have mine (somewhere) from my military unit issued to me in the early 80's.

DrFootball 06-26-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmac
I have a coin from R. Lee Ermy while he was on a Glock tour. I told him I was a Corpsman at LeJeune, and he palmed it to me when we shook hands goodbye (with a Semper Fi!).

I have one from Sig too, good for some discounts.

Nice! I'm still trying to find My US Army Shooting team Coin from the 3 years I was an "Auxilliary" team Member....

sdiver35 06-27-2013 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a couple from my time in the service and one from my grandfather.