You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Cell Phones & Stupid Do Not Mix!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5492 Times on 2580 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

Default Cell Phones & Stupid Do Not Mix!

Can Cell Phones be a distraction?
As I was driving home yesterday from Alabama pulling my school trailer after teaching this past week. I could hardly believe what I was observing while driving East on I-40 at 70 MPH!
A guy was walking in the grass on the edge of the Interstate. Then walked right out in front of me around 125 yards in my lane of East bound I-40 East of Nashville close to Lebanon Tennessee. At 70 MPH. it does not take long to close on a person who walks out into your lane of the Interstate unexpectedly!
What I observed, he was so evidently entranced with his Cell Phone conversation he seemed totally oblivious that the Interstate was even there. As I approached I assumed he would stop when he got to the edge of the road. “NOT”! As he continued walking onto the berm of the Interstate and directly into my lane. I began to slow rapidly and blew my horn. Thinking from law enforcement experience that the person might be going to attempt suicide by walking out in front of traffic on the Interstate, I began to think of a plan to miss him. At that time I blew the Horn as stated! The guy seemingly oblivious to any of his surroundings, jumped like he had been shot. (My bet, he WET HIMSELF?) And then without thought ran out of my slower lane on the Interstate and directly across the East bound “Fast Lane” and into the median! I thought my God, what if there had been a vehicle in the East bound Fast lane coming upon or passing me? Guess the old saying applies! You can't fix STUPID!; WOW!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Liked 2711 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I drive the interstate to work every day. Nothing surprises me anymore. Texters are common. You will see someone weaving from emergency lane to over the line and finally get where you can pass them and you already know you will see the hand-held device, or see them looking at it in their lap. Some of these people are MY age to! The kids, I know, are stupid and immortal, but folks my age are old enough to know better.

I passed a guy a couple of weeks ago that had a paper-back book open on the steering wheel, happily reading away. I am seeing a lot more professional drivers doing the weaving and bobbing thing too. I don't know if they are sleeping or texting.

A man I work with rides his bicycle to work every day. He has run down twice. The last time was by an emergency vehicle. The driver said he did not see him because the TV (dispatch) screen was blocking his view and his partner was texting.

If we don't get self-driving cars soon it will become too dangerous to travel on the highways. If the Russians pulled some of their magic and shut down cell towers, 90% of the country's people would panic, or just freeze in place, not being able to update their freaking facebook. I can envision them standing, stupidly, tap, tap, taping on a dead screen.

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 03-18-2017 at 05:58 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 231

As soon as cell phones became the norm, I said to myself, "I bet people will die because of them because they will tempt people to do two things at the same time....and one of those things will require full attention. Many people don't have the common sense to realize this."

Recently, I was waiting to make a right turn. A pedestrian was standing at the curb. When the light turned green & the "Walk" signal showed, I waited for him to cross, but his head was down, looking at his phone & texting. After a few seconds without him crossing, I started to make my turn & that's when he looked up & started crossing. When I hit my brakes, almost hitting him, he looked at me as if, "Hey...what's wrong with you?" Reminded me of that woman in China who walked into an open manhole while texting.

The funniest: A woman was waiting in the middle of the street to make a left turn into traffic. Her head was down in her phone while her car was rolling into traffic. When a huge bus honked at her, she looked up just as the bus was about to hit her. The look on her face - mouth hanging open, shocked... Priceless.

By the way, it's OK to kill someone while driving & texting...PROVIDED YOU'RE A POLICE OFFICER. Read about this moron:
http://www.businessinsider.com/police-officer-will-not-be-charged-in-killing-of-napster-executive-2014-8

Last edited by Dakota1; 03-18-2017 at 06:02 PM.
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 03-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

Liked 4315 Times on 2515 Posts
Likes Given: 6692

i hate cell phones!

i detest idiots so glued to them, that they are oblivious to everything else going on around them.

i detest being in restaurant trying to enjoy a meal with my wife and some inconsiderate a**hole feels the need to talk loudly on his cell phone about nothing of any importance.

i detest being in line at the store, waiting to check out, and the idiot in front of me is more concerned with their conversation on the phone than checking out, and holding up the rest us behind them.

i really hate some moronic a**hole who dang near hits me with their vehicle because they are talking on their cell phone or texting.

did i mention i hate cell phones, and the idiots who abuse them?
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #5

Liked 2711 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
i hate cell phones!

i detest idiots so glued to them, that they are oblivious to everything else going on around them.

i detest being in restaurant trying to enjoy a meal with my wife and some inconsiderate a**hole feels the need to talk loudly on his cell phone about nothing of any importance.

i detest being in line at the store, waiting to check out, and the idiot in front of me is more concerned with their conversation on the phone than checking out, and holding up the rest us behind them.

i really hate some moronic a**hole who dang near hits me with their vehicle because they are talking on their cell phone or texting.

did i mention i hate cell phones, and the idiots who abuse them?
And then there is the asshat who is in front of you in line scratching lottery tickets while talking on his cell phone while you wait. I despise the lottery as much as the cell phone.

Carl Sagan
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #6

Liked 4315 Times on 2515 Posts
Likes Given: 6692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
And then there is the asshat who is in front of you in line scratching lottery tickets while talking on his cell phone while you wait. I despise the lottery as much as the cell phone.
you got that one right!

i buy $5 worth of scratch-offs twice a year. if i win, fine, and if not, no big deal, but that's my limit. i usually at least break even though!

but i buy mine and go sit in my car and scratch them off.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 02:33 AM   #7

Liked 6921 Times on 3415 Posts
Likes Given: 2149

Cellphones are great... Too many bike helmets and safety warnings have allowed the weakest among us to thrive.
Cellphones were invented to bring balance back to the equation.

Galatians 5:22-23

Pray for the hundreds of thousands of innocent people being killed by Islam across the world.
People Like This 
Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 AM   #8

Liked 2443 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 4075

This is why all CDL drivers are required to be hands free to use a cell phone. I really don't understand why that law isn't applied to everybody. Admittedly you look stupid with a headset on talking to the empty windshield, but stupid is better than dead, and they do work. I'd like to see some of our fines applied to some of these idiots.

How about a "national stop the stupidity" day? Every police officer that sees a cell phone being used in a vehicle gets to write a $1000 ticket. No need for any other reason to make the stop. If you can't pay it, your cell phone gets shut off, and you don't get another till you pay up. Wipe out the national debt and at least some of the cell phone stupidity at the same time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Cellphones are great... Too many bike helmets and safety warnings have allowed the weakest among us to thrive.
Cellphones were invented to bring balance back to the equation.
I like that! Thats why my nephews and niece got legos for christmas. If they can keep from choking to death they deserve to get a year older...
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (15.1 KB, 34 views)

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 03-19-2017 at 02:51 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #9
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
This is why all CDL drivers are required to be hands free to use a cell phone. I really don't understand why that law isn't applied to everybody. Admittedly you look stupid with a headset on talking to the empty windshield, but stupid is better than dead, and they do work.
The hands free laws are feel good bullsh!t passed by politicians that want to look like they are doing something without actually annoying drivers or cell phone companies. The problem isn't what your off hand is doing, it is what your head is doing. Your hand doesn't distract you from driving, your mind on the conversation instead of what you are doing does.

As for texting, I tried it once on the theory that I am a professional and should be able to handle distractions better than the average driver. I have been dodging distracted drivers since 1983. It ain't possible to text and drive safely except how I do it. So here is how you text and drive, when the phone rings you hand it to your daughter, she reads you the text, and types in your answer. Your left hand never leaves the wheel, your right hand never leaves the shifter, and your eyes NEVER LEAVE THE ROAD!!! This is the only safe way to text and drive. Learn it, Live it. You may substitute a son in this process if you don't have a daughter, but I only have a daughter so I am prejudiced!!!
People Like This 
Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 AM   #10

Liked 3449 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 508

Cell phones have made motorcycling a whole new adventure. People are oblivious enough with out a cell phone adding another layer of distraction. What really gets me is that most cars built since 2008 have Bluetooth, at least mine do. Even if they don't, a Bluetooth speaker that you clip to your visor can be had for as little as $20. Nearly all aftermarket stereos have Bluetooth built in as well. There really is no excuse for having a phone glued to your ear anymore.

Also, I'm still waiting to see the text message that's so important that its worth someone's life. I swear, compulsive texters are like rats in a lab hitting the button for their fix.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-19-2017 at 11:44 PM.
People Like This