Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > CBs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8617 Times on 3734 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

In 1999, installed one in my lady's car and my truck. Lighter plug works, or the lead for accessories. We were moving from CO to VA, and driving both vehicles. Used the CBs so we could talk directly (In about a mile we are going to take exit 153, so start moving over to the right. I wanna go potty- can we stop at the next exit?)
Worked out well- we just found a quiet channel and stayed to ourselves.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #12

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I got an old one for free and figured why not.
I got an antenna from radio shack, and spent a day installing it.
I have a Ford Escape, so it's weird, but I can find my car better (tall CB antenna).

Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1540 Times on 941 Posts
Likes Given: 7834

Both of our trucks have a $34 Cobra 19 ultra III in them, and are running Firestick antennas. Clamp mount on the hood edge on the F-150, and roof mounted magnetic unit on the Dakota. Power wise, the F-150's unit is wired into the battery power (constant 12 v) for the Sony CD player in the dash, and the radio's ground wire. In the Dakota, I wired the hot to a 12 v constant circuit that is not used in the fuse block, and the ground is run to one of the fuse block ground screws.

Since I have access to an SWR meter, I took the time to tune and match the units to their antennas. Anything under 75 feet in distance is too strong to pick up clearly, but we both have about a 6 mile range with the squelch set at about the halfway point. On flatter areas, we get more range, hilly, we get less. Cities, we don't even bother doing anything more than monitoring most of the time, and that is only on the major highways. We love them on long trips, such as cross state moves where both trucks and the trailer are needed.

If you are just getting into the CB thing, the little Cobra unit is good, if you are heavy into it, and have deep pockets, they are adequate. There are bigger and better units out there, but they run anywhere from $100 to $300+. If you are looking for bigger and better go to your nearest Pilot, T\A, or other truck stop\travel center. There are some pretty cool options in the trucker store, and most of the truckers out there will gladly help with your questions if asked.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8617 Times on 3734 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

And here's how you can spot an OLD CB radio user-

KADW 4901

Those were my CALL LETTERS from my LICENSE for my CB.

Yep- at one time, you were supposed to have a license, issued by the FCC, to operate a transmitter.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1785 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

I used to run a CB back in the halcyon days of yore but I haven't used one in years (probably should get one).

Not to derail but does anyone run FRS or FRS/GMRS transceivers? I own 2 Motorola Walkabout 250's with the optional headsets (had 3 but I gave one to my ex BIL), used them for 4 wheeling when we were within a mile or so of each other also used them at work at the newspaper I was a manager at, so I could talk to my loading dock people if I was up front or they were out on the lot.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 490 Times on 302 Posts

Yes I have on there good but. They are not the top of their line .
If you hard wire it in take it to the fuse box . That's what I did .
Second make sure you also have a good ground when you mount your antenna.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #17
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
I used to run a CB back in the halcyon days of yore but I haven't used one in years (probably should get one).

Not to derail but does anyone run FRS or FRS/GMRS transceivers? I own 2 Motorola Walkabout 250's with the optional headsets (had 3 but I gave one to my ex BIL), used them for 4 wheeling when we were within a mile or so of each other also used them at work at the newspaper I was a manager at, so I could talk to my loading dock people if I was up front or they were out on the lot.
Got a set of 4 mid-level cobra units. We use them for hunting, off-roading, and for convoys on long trips where one or more vehicles in the group do not run CBs. The downside, one of the CB users has to play messenger to the other mosyt of the time, but this only happens when we have 5 or more in the group.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #18
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And here's how you can spot an OLD CB radio user-

KADW 4901

Those were my CALL LETTERS from my LICENSE for my CB.

Yep- at one time, you were supposed to have a license, issued by the FCC, to operate a transmitter.
My uncle still has his old CB licence kicking around in his wallet too. Saw it while he was showing ID to pick up some pistol rounds.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 725 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Got a portable, hand held. Magnetic antenna for the roof. Goes on and off vehicle with ease. I get all the smokey info when I travel.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
and here's how you can spot an old cb radio user-

kadw 4901

those were my call letters from my license for my cb.

Yep- at one time, you were supposed to have a license, issued by the fcc, to operate a transmitter.
kmy-6627 was mine if I remember right.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 09-21-2013 at 01:55 AM.