Cataract surgery
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Cataract surgery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7176 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Default Cataract surgery

Okay, folks. I have been having extremely blurry vision in my left eye. I figured it was time for glasses as I couldn't see near or far with my left eye. I went to the eye doc for a dilated eye exam and was told I have a large cataract on my left eye occluding my vision and a smaller cataract on my right eye that hasn't impaired my vision yet. I was not expecting news like that and I was very scared. There were two cataract surgeons at the eye institute where I go but one is moving out of state and isn't taking new patients. So, my consultation appointment is August 10th with the surgery happening some time after that. Balota will be coming to comfort me, soothe me, hold my hand and take care of me for a few days. I'm going to beg the doc to do both eyes at once so I can just get it over with. I don't think they will but I'm going to see if I can talk them into it. I will have wonderful help at home during that time. I think the recovery time is quite short but I'm not sure.

Do any of you have personal experience with cataract surgery? Please share your experiences with me.

This is the place I'm having it done. http://www.hauser-ross.com/

Balota and I used to talk about a future of trips to Hawaii, Alaska, cruises, etc. But so far all we've accomplished is colonoscopies and future cataract surgeries. We should have met when we were younger.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 680 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Okay, folks. I have been having extremely blurry vision in my left eye. I figured it was time for glasses as I couldn't see near or far with my left eye. I went to the eye doc for a dilated eye exam and was told I have a large cataract on my left eye occluding my vision and a smaller cataract on my right eye that hasn't impaired my vision yet. I was not expecting news like that and I was very scared. There were two cataract surgeons at the eye institute where I go but one is moving out of state and isn't taking new patients. So, my consultation appointment is August 10th with the surgery happening some time after that. Balota will be coming to comfort me, soothe me, hold my hand and take care of me for a few days. I'm going to beg the doc to do both eyes at once so I can just get it over with. I don't think they will but I'm going to see if I can talk them into it. I will have wonderful help at home during that time. I think the recovery time is quite short but I'm not sure.

Do any of you have personal experience with cataract surgery? Please share your experiences with me.

This is the place I'm having it done. http://www.hauser-ross.com/

Balota and I used to talk about a future of trips to Hawaii, Alaska, cruises, etc. But so far all we've accomplished is colonoscopies and future cataract surgeries. We should have met when we were younger.
I’m probably one of many on this forum who has had cataract surgery. I’ve had it done in both eyes, but not at the same time. The first time the very idea was traumatic to me. It was done one morning, the eye was covered with a protective cover and I spent the rest of the day and night quietly at home with a knot in my stomach, anticipating the worst. Next day back to the doctor, who removed the eye patch and asked “what do you see?” I saw nothing but a blur! But after about 10 seconds everything became very clear.
With cautions not to rub the eye, I went back to work that day.

They can insert a lens that will give you 20-20 distance…or match the existing prescription in that eye if you are having only one done, so your glasses will work. I went for 20-20 distance and wear bi-focals with little to no correction in the top part. I find that easier than having to keep up with reading glasses. I have light sensitivity to outside sunlight so I have the auto-dark feature that acts as sunglasses outdoors.

As an aside, the cataract acts as a blue filter…which causes everything to have a green tint. I thought the walls of my office were a very light shade of green but after the surgery I saw they were egg-shell white. You will be amazed at how beautiful the world is through your new eyes! Go for it!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3232 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 18603

I personally have not but most people I know whom.have said it was pretty cut and dry and nt too bad at all .

Good luck , but there is only one problem now , you will see how handsome I ain't ! good luck again and get well fast !

Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Liked 2562 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 2457

Good luck with that, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

Winds we will be thinking and saying a little prayer for you! But have no doubt you will be fine! And as Ellis said you may be very much surprised with the positive outcome of the surgery. Sometimes things happen to us so slowly we do not even realize it until it is corrected! Keep us informed!

Take Care!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2015 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 603

No big deal but do try to get both eyes done at the same time. It will save problems down the road and your eyes will be matched. There are lenses that correct astigmatism now if you need them. My right eye was done first and my left a couple of years later. Not a good idea. You will probably have to go in for a laser clean up a few months down the road and again no big deal. My wife had both of hers done within a week of each other and she does not need glasses while I do but astigmatism correction lenses were not available then and they wont change them now.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

You sure know how to have a good time.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I personally have not but most people I know whom.have said it was pretty cut and dry and nt too bad at all .

Good luck , but there is only one problem now , you will see how handsome I ain't ! good luck again and get well fast !
Haha.....I'm not very "beautiful". I'm just worried about seeing ME without the cataracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
You sure know how to have a good time.
norma
Yeah, I'm a wild woman for sure. One just never knows what crazy thing I might do next.

The surgery isn't for another couple months. Thanks for all the comforting words I so desperately need to hear. At the consultation Aug 10 is when I'll decide what lens to choose. My normal vision without the cataract is quite good but not quite 20/20. I would like both eyes to be corrected to 20/20 and I don't mind wearing reading glasses. I have the old granny glasses that when you look up you are looking over the reading glasses and when you look down, you are looking through the reading glasses.

Balota and I discussed the different lens correction options last night. He knows people who had one eye corrected for near sight and the other eye corrected for far sight through lasik. He said the brain compensates for that and one can go from reading to looking across a field instantly. My point of view is God made us with both eyes working together to see far and both eyes working together to see near and that's the way I want it to remain. I don't like messing with Mother Nature. If our eyes are supposed to work together I don't want to change that. We kind of agreed to disagree.
Balota Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

WOC, my wife and quite a few friends have had excellent results after cataract surgery. I have a small but growing cataract in my right (shooting) eye that will need to be done in a year or so - so know your apprehension.

Just check out your surgeon beforehand and honestly I'd say dump him if he even suggests having both eyes done at the same time. Sight is too precious to gamble on both eyes at the same time!

You'll be glad you had this done if my extended family is any indication. This is a very successful surgery these days.

And guess what - there is no "prep"! Like a colonoscopy...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
WOC, my wife and quite a few friends have had excellent results after cataract surgery. I have a small but growing cataract in my right (shooting) eye that will need to be done in a year or so - so know your apprehension.

Just check out your surgeon beforehand and honestly I'd say dump him if he even suggests having both eyes done at the same time. Sight is too precious to gamble on both eyes at the same time!

You'll be glad you had this done if my extended family is any indication. This is a very successful surgery these days.

And guess what - there is no "prep"! Like a colonoscopy...
Yes, that is something that crossed my mind, too. I just don't want to know I'll have to go have the other eye done in a year or so. But I guess that's the way it is.