Cataloging Software
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Cataloging Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cataloging Software

My suggestion is gun catalog software. Have a free or inexpensive copy for download on the site website. I've looked for some in the past and came across one, but it doesn't work. Think it's just such a old version and the writer isn't updating it for new operating systems.

Something that would allow you to log serial number, special markings on the firearm, make, model, etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

here's a link to an Excel sheet that I use for my firearms. It's you can customize it to your hearts content, and just add sheets for the next new firearm.

and...... it's free

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Gunstuffsample.xls

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-20-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I don't write OS based software. It would have to be a web based application and if I know gun owners correct not many would use it in fear of the information being leaked regardless of how safe the data claimed to be.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #4

I wouldn't use web base software either, but a OS program would be the ticket. Something like this is what I'm talking about: http://nmcollector.net/nmguncollector/

Maybe we can get him to join the forum and share his software with the users of this forum.

"If a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." - Dan Rather, CBS Election Night Coverage, 8 November 2000

Old 09-06-2008, 04:04 AM   #5

You can always try my application for 30 days..the My Gun Collection application was create to help manage your gun collection. The My Gun Collection application was carefully designed to allow you to quickly get details about a specific firearm all with the click of the mouse. With an easy to Use interface - the firearms in your collection are listed on the side of the application sorted by the Name alphabetically. You have the option to view all the firearms in stock, the ones you sold or by all. It has the ability to save data entry time by using an auto suggest feature for common information (Manufactures, Models, stores, caliber, etc.).

Print out reports such as: BATFE C&R (Curio and Relic) Bound Book Report, Quick Firearm Inventory Report, Ammunition Inventory Report, and For Sale Flyer. Keep track of the cost and value (both appraised and realized) of your collection. Easy to use Backup and Restore Applications are provided with this application. The Pictures that you provided will also be backed up.

Over all, whether or not you have a huge gun collection or just a few firearms on hand, this application can help you keep track of useful information for your own personal gain, and even BATFE standards for reports and record keeping.

It Currently it is at version 2.3 but version 3.0 is expected to be release on the 13th of this month. For a list of what was added or fixed you can check out the support forum post Version 3.0 (Exp Released on 9/13/2008) - Pre Release Notes

Price: $14.95
Upgrades are Free!!

Last edited by burnsoft; 09-06-2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: forum url was wrong

Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with making your own. Use a database program or a spreadsheet, customize it as you want and save to your hard drive or print out a copy. Make it as simple or detailed as you want. No relying on someone else's program that may have things on it you don't want or understand. Nothing wrong with gunners making a buck though.

9x18=Makarov

Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The two I have used are Excel or Access both by Microsoft. You could also use its freeware counterpart Open Office.

Access is a database program that is very good for low level databases you are not going to have the power to say catalog all the M-1 tanks in the US military inventory. But for cataloging personal firearms it would work great.

If someone doesn't know how to use Access I could build you one in a matter of a few weeks.

Just let me know what you want to include as far as information. I use:

Serial Number
Caliber
Make
Model
Barrel length
Year of manufacture
Sight type
Purchase price
Date purchased
Blue Book Value
Modifications
Accessories

Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #8

My gun collection is pretty small at present so I don't calaogue it, but I do have other collections, one of which has over 2000 pieces in it and I use a spreadsheet to catalogue it.
Works ok.

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The only thing I see bad about using a spread sheet is the fact that it is slightly more diffacult to use.

That is why I like to use an Access database. Here is a snap shot of what my entry form looks like for my database.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
cbw

Are you willing to mail share your database shell for others to use? It's looks like it's set up real well. I currently use excel and it's ok but your front for your database looks great. If your willing to share please send me the shell or the entire thing and I'll empty it and add my own.

wazz@wildblue.net

thanx

[The odds are always 50/50