Castle Doctrine "Stand your ground" - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Castle Doctrine "Stand your ground"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10805 Times on 5765 Posts
Likes Given: 10559

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Castle Doctrine & stand your ground? What head shots are for!
Castle doctrine laws aren't difficult to pass if you're willing to work for them.

But for some reason, "stand your ground" laws are really tough, even in conservative states.

If there are any attorneys on this board, would you research whether or not there's a correlation between states with a stand your ground law, and states that impose the death penalty?

I've heard several anti death penalty legislators say that stand your ground is simply a way to impose the death penalty for minor crimes. (which I think is BS)
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost

Last edited by locutus; 08-04-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
The intent of "Stand Your Ground" and "Castle Doctrine" laws is to remove the burden of proof from the intended victim...IE, the CCW holder or home owner who was forced to shoot by the violent acts or intentions of the recently wounded/deceased.

They are not meant to grant any police powers to the public and I would caution anyone who thinks otherwise to look at George Zimmerman. Personally, I believe his story and think he acted within the law but that did not stop a politically motivated prosecutor from pursuing him in a Stand your Ground State...

In the end I'm confident the law will vindicate his actions but I'm not itching to walk a mile in his shoes unless I'm given no choice but to fire.

Tack
He/she who polices under a ccw deserves any sentencing given. A ccw endorsement is extremely far from a bade, I agree. As far as Zimmerman, I have no clue. I wasn't there so ill leave that to the law.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 116

In NJ there is no castle law, which scares the poop out of me because while my wife and younger child's bedrooms are on the 2nd level of our home, our 2 older children sleep on the main floor, which clearly make it difficult to impossible for me to be able to round my family up and flee if an event requires me do to so. So god forbid if there was ever an event in my home, the burden of proof would be on my shoulders to prove that I had justifiable cause to protect myself and my family with lethal force.

Crazy...IMO
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
In NJ there is no castle law, which scares the poop out of me because while my wife and younger child's bedrooms are on the 2nd level of our home, our 2 older children sleep on the main floor, which clearly make it difficult to impossible for me to be able to round my family up and flee if an event requires me do to so. So god forbid if there was ever an event in my home, the burden of proof would be on my shoulders to prove that I had justifiable cause to protect myself and my family with lethal force.

Crazy...IMO
Well no matter where everyone is in the house, you need a plan, same as if there were a house fire. For home invasion, designate "safe" rooms, and look at reinforcing the doors/locks. Castle doctrine or no, its a much better outcome to sit behind a locked door with a weapon and a cell phone, than to engage in a violent confrontation.

As for the family, a good suggestion I heard was to get a coaches whistle. One loud call means to get to the safe area, two means evacuate the house according to the fire plan.

As for "duty to retreat". I'm no expert, but it was my understanding that you are obligated to retreat, BUT CAN USE FORCE IF THE ASSAILANT(S) ARE BETWEEN YOU AND THE ONLY EXIT.

A second story bedroom, with one door seems to me like a great place to not only create a tactical advantage, but also "stand your ground" if it comes to it...

Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #15

Liked 3743 Times on 1829 Posts
Likes Given: 13279

my home is my castle and I am king in my domain

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD