Cast Iron - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Cast Iron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 932 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1854

Can't make good cornbread, pineapple upside-down cake, nor fried sweet taters without cast iron.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What is this seasoning you speak of?

When mine was new, I'd just wipe it with oil when I was done cleaning it.
I figger all the cooking it has seen in the last 11 years was enough for season ......
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Seasoned to Perfection....

A life time of crud on a new cast iron pot. This is how i do it in the back yard. Fire wood, bricks and an old grill. Raise pot off the ground using bricks and grill. Fill pot half way with Lard. Get your fire going around and under the pot. Once the oil starts to heat up, use a long thin paddle to stir the oil till it slightly goes over the sides. Do this about every 5 min. till all the lard is used. Keep a fire ex. handy. And for those that have broken or cracked pots I used the Brazing method for repairs......And for those of you cooking out in the field and have access to pinecones, this will clean the pot out with a little water. I have my grand mothers cast iron pot and it's over 100 yrs. old.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6668 Times on 3548 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

I figger all the cooking it has seen in the last 11 years was enough for season ......
it typically is. but when you have a build up of nearly a century of use the crust on the bottom and outside gets really bad. the crust in some spots was nearly a 1/4 inch of carbonized oils. so i ran it through the oven cleaning cycle. this makes enormous ammounts of smoke as it turns the carbon to ash.

to season it you let it cool after cleaning wipe it down with dry towels. if you use water or a damp towel bake in the oven at 300ish for an hour to remove any moisture let it cool then rub it down veggy oil lard or bacon fat then bake for 2 hours at 450 degrees. this will create more smoke ventilate well. typically you dont have to do this unless someone runs the pan through a dishwasher or something. typical frying or cooking sessions deepen the carbonized cooking oil/fat coating.

when its clean cast iron has a medium gray color. seasoning gives it that deep black sheen. that black is the carbon coating of burned on vegtable/animal oil. frying bacon is an excellent means of deepening the seasoning.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #15

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

Most new ones these days come pre-seasoned, but if ever scrubbed with soap and water, it needs re-seasoning. Any vegetable oil will work. Put some oil in the pan and swish it around until it covers the whole pan, sides and all. You can even use a towel to make sure the thing gets covered. It can be done on the stove or in the oven. Put heat to the pan to the tune of 225-250° and leave on heat for a few hours. Do not burn the oil. After seasoned, do not wash with soap and water, just wipe it out with warm water. If it needs stuff scraped off, then use hard plastic to knock off the food remnants. Do not use a metal scraper.

Or do whatever you want.

As a side note, Camp Chef is on Promotive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #16

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Cast iron is about all I use when I'm in the kitchen. All my game is cooked in nothing but cast iron. I have probably over 30 pieces of all types that take up quite a bit of room in the kitchen cabinets. All of them clean very well with only a hot water spray. Cast iron is the only way to go.........

Jim..............

Old 01-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What do you guys think about Lodge brand cast iron?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Lodge has worked well for me.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6668 Times on 3548 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
lodge is good stuff. griswold is much higher quality but it hasnt been made in forever and usually commands very high prices on ebay. i haunt yard sales and auctions in search of old cast iron cookware. even the rattiest rusted cast iron as long as it isnt cracked can be restored.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #20

I cook in Cast Iron all the time. I have heard of some people taking a 4 inch grinder with a flap wheel and smoothing out the inside, they say it does not rust and nothing will stick to it again. I have been hesitant about doing this cause those things are not cheap, has anyone else heard of this?