Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Case for gun-permit listings trumps emotional opposition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

That's a big load of crap. Their reasoning is flawed and meaningless.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I guess that after the list is published there is no reason to carry concealed. Just strap that shooter on and let everyone know you're armed. Might as well sling that AR over your shoulder as well. The legislature in Oregon has been hammering the county sheriff to disclose the names of those who have carry permits. So far in this county, he has replied that "...those who have permits requested them for personal security reasons and disclosure would not be prudent."
This is an excellent point. Since the secret is out, why not OC to erase any doubt?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I say post names and addresses of editors and reporters, heck take out ads, and say "these people have no guns! Home invaders take note!"

Old 02-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I say post names and addresses of editors and reporters, heck take out ads, and say "these people have no guns! Home invaders take note!"
And this is another excellent point. Publish, instead, a list of people WITHOUT permits.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #15

To the Commercial Appeal I say, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." While I would agree that it is completely appropriate to do a story about the law, point out that the information is available to the public and even to tell readers how to acquire the list, publishing the list put them outside their journalistic responsibility and borders on an invasion of privacy.

Journalists, in the interest of privacy, routinely withhold the identity of victims of crime. Additionally, there are reams of information that is available publicly that no newspaper would consider publishing. For instance while it may be appropriate to name the person who owns a building where the town's first strip bar just opened, it would be considered irrelevant and irresponsible to publish a list of who owns every property in town.

While the Tennessee state legislature feels that the names of those who hold a concealed firearms permit should be available to anyone who requests the information, a view I disagree with, most people are not sufficiently interested to go to the trouble of researching. By publishing the list, the Commercial Appeal has given those too lazy to do their own thinking or research something to stew upon. I can think of no legitimate reason to publish this list unless they are simply trying to stir the pot.

Last edited by Wenonah; 01-21-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

And no reason to post on an old thread unless one is simply trying to stir the pot.

Now if you want to start a new one....

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
And no reason to post on an old thread unless one is simply trying to stir the pot.

Now if you want to start a new one....
Excellent point except that I hadn't noticed how old the thread is. I was simply browsing forums and realized that some points that occurred to me hadn't been mentioned.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Night of the Living Thread 2: Dawn of the Thread....

Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #19

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad I'm from Indiana. When the media here tried that the legislature stopped them.