You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Career choices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 462 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 22

What did you pick what you did and why? I'm stuck between majors at the moment but am really leaning towards meteorology over energy management
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #2

Liked 563 Times on 371 Posts

I'm an electrician. You can never go wrong with a trade.
People Like This 
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I was a heavy equipment operator at a rock quarry, operated Euclid haul trucks, backhoes, forklifts, skidloaders, big wheel loaders etc. Last big loader I operated was a Komatsu WA-500. I kept getting laid off in the winter so I decided to get my CDL because there were boocoo ads for cdl drivers in the help wanted section in the local paper.

Been behind the wheel since 08, minus about a year and a half in the middle where I worked at another rock quarry operating more giant earth moving and rock processing equipment.

Recently had an opportunity to work for the Indiana dept of corrections at a medium security prison near me but I think Im gonna pass on that, cant take a $200 pay cut on every weeks check. My buddy works there and averages 500 a week, right now I average 700 a week driving, plus I take my rig home which saves me from driving 50 miles a day.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380
dango Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
What did you pick what you did and why? I'm stuck between majors at the moment but am really leaning towards meteorology over energy management
I've gone through three different careers post-college. One due to a shift and downsizing in the industry. One I made the choice to switch to make more money for the family. But enough about me

As for your decision:
1) you need to have an interest in actually doing something possibly for the rest of your life, but at least think about doing it for the next 7-10 years. Do both stand out?
2) which career is more likely to get you a job when you get out?
2a) can you do internships in either to get experience and contacts for your resume, that will put you ahead in possibly getting a job at graduation?
3) which career has the most long-term growth or at least stability, again for the next 7-10 years?
4) are you ready to likely pay your dues regardless of which career you choose, meaning you may not get out making a ton of money or living where you want to right away?
5) which career has the most room to move (location), provide personal growth, or advancement opportunities (whichever of these may be important to you)?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Ultimately, if you love what you do, the rest doesn't mean as much so long as you can make a living.
dango Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #5

Liked 4803 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Which ever you choose balance income to cost. Do not attend an expensive college and borrow school loans for a four year degree in education. Public Schools do not pay wages that equal large investments.
What does the 20 year projections on your choices look like. What is the health of and returns of potential companies you are looking at working for. Attend some seminars on potential fields you are interested in.
This is a life's investment requiring a large financial out lay and 4 years of your life.
People Like This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #6

Liked 745 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Become a RN......Starting pay is very good. and male RNs are in high demand, no problem finding a job.
People Like This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #7

Liked 559 Times on 321 Posts

Well, since college graduation in 1994 I've been an insurance claims adjuster. Then a mortgage loan originator. Then an assistant bank manager. Then a bank branch sales manager. Then a software installer/trainer for a banking software company. Then an operations manager for a document imaging company owned by a mortgage company. Then, and currently, an operations manager of a document imaging company that is privately owned. I have no real career. I am a free agent to the highest bidder. The last 3 jobs I've had all lasted 5 years each, then, the owner sells out and I'm looking for something else. It's about to happen again. I'm so tired of this. The thing is, I don't know what I want to do really. I've got kids, dogs, cars, house, and wife. I'm not 20 anymore. My pay is just high enough it doesn't grow on trees. I'm getting old. Starting new every 5 years is getting scary. I wish I had a trade or a true career, like optometry. Not knowing in college has made my work career a jumbled line. My advice, figure something out early and apply yourself.
People Like This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1926 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
Become a RN......Starting pay is very good. and male RNs are in high demand, no problem finding a job.
In this part of Ohio too. My ex used to run a psyche unit and was always looking for male nurses.

Of course in a regular hospital setting you have all the blood and guts, and needles....eeeek
dango Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

This is a topic that I spend my professional day discussing as I am a college admissions representative. Here is my two cents.

1) what can you see yourself doing 5 years from now?
2) what are the job prospects in the field you are looking at...don't look at national stats though...look at what your area is doing.
3) not knowing what type of school your are currently attending....what us your time table to finish school....ie how long do you want to go to school..national average for a 4 year degree is 6.3 years.
4) of the programs of study you mentioned..and assuming the job prospects are good
In your area....which one of the two feel right to you?

hope this helps...answer the questions focusing on the outcome you want and this should help!

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton
People Like This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 1272 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Was in the printing/graphic arts business for 12 years; at age 30 went to law school 'cause I didn't know what else to do with a liberal arts degree; was an assistant D.A. for 4 years; criminal defense attorney for 18 years; currently working in oil and gas. If I had to do it all over again I'd be a pharmacist.
dango Likes This