Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Career Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Career Advice

So, I've posted a couple different threads similar to this before. But not quite the same, so I'm not re-opening them.

I am currently due to get out of the Marine Corps in the beginning of 2017. I can put in a request to get out up to a year early, which would make my EAS (End of Active Service) in early 2016.

I do plan on getting out. Few things you can say will persuade me to stay in. I've considered all the reasons for staying in already. I've also considered going into a different branch.

The military isn't what this post is about. It is about finding a job as a civilian. Not just finding a job, but having a job when I EAS.

My background is in Logistics. My current MOS is in a different field, and if at all possible I will be trying to get a job in my current field.

However, I am still working on my Bachelor's degree, and may or may not have it when I EAS in approximately two years. In my current field, it is very difficult to find a job without a Bachelor's degree.

So, I am considering working in the Logistics field when I EAS until I can finish my degree and work in my current field.

Can any of you give advice in this regard? What jobs pay better, what certs should I look into getting, etc etc etc. For what its worth, I will be living in NC near a large sea-port.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 02-17-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1118 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Ever consider a career on LE?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30USMC View Post
Ever consider a career on LE?
I accidentally sent the post too early. I edited it later.

Yes, I have considered LE. My only issue is I don't plan on doing this temporary career track permanently. In that regard, I want to be doing something where I can earn the most money possible for a few years. (I know, I know, we all want to earn as much money as possible. My point is I'm willing to do just about any job that pays relatively well on a temporary basis, and the goal for the temporary job is not fulfillment, but pay and benefits).

Also, I don't think I have the patience for LE.

Always have clean socks.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1118 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I accidentally sent the post too early. I edited it later.

Yes, I have considered LE. My only issue is I don't plan on doing this temporary career track permanently. In that regard, I want to be doing something where I can earn the most money possible for a few years. (I know, I know, we all want to earn as much money as possible. My point is I'm willing to do just about any job that pays relatively well on a temporary basis, and the goal for the temporary job is not fulfillment, but pay and benefits).

Also, I don't think I have the patience for LE.

You defiantly won't get rich off a LEO salary
Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 446 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 144

A friend of mine , when I lived in Texas, was a retired logistics SNCOIC in an Avionics billet,,, he was working for as the parts mgr. at the company I worked for then and when he put out his resumes' , he had several offers from freight and delivery companies,, when he left our place he was going to work for a large company that has brown trucks at a very good salary, they wanted someone with that experience that would need minimal training, something of this nature may fit your needs.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
A friend of mine , when I lived in Texas, was a retired logistics SNCOIC in an Avionics billet,,, he was working for as the parts mgr. at the company I worked for then and when he put out his resumes' , he had several offers from freight and delivery companies,, when he left our place he was going to work for a large company that has brown trucks at a very good salary, they wanted someone with that experience that would need minimal training, something of this nature may fit your needs.
Interesting. So you're saying be a UPS delivery driver? Or did I completely misinterpret what you're getting at?

Always have clean socks.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Liked 747 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I know there are several boat makers such as Parker and Grady white in the area that ship nation wide that might have openings in logistics. I work in ENC at a pre-cast concrete company and from what I have seen some college mixed with millitary is as good if not better than a BS. especially if you intend to finish your degree. Look at MT. Olive College. With all the millitary in the eastern part of the state they have several programs that help adults finish their degrees.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6586 Times on 3601 Posts
Likes Given: 12915

Almost all delivery, pickup, and utility companies have a department that focuses on increased efficiency (logistics.) Like air traffic control for drivers. They design garbage truck routes, mail routes, coordinate shipping, etc.
You rarely see bobtail semis on the road anymore. They deliver one trailer and bring another back.
Boring work that pays well.
Or you could be an air traffic controller. Pushing tin.

no offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8613 Times on 3732 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Check the Federal jobs website for logistics with the US Gummint. You get veteran's pref on the selection, bennies are not bad, and a Federal worker is like a rifle with a missing bolt (can't fire it). My youngest son was working in the classified property section for Defense Genl Supply Center, making decent $$$.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

JW357 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 446 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 144

JW,, he was a route manager, he was responsible for incoming and outgoing items, making sure the drivers had their schedule of packages for delivery, made sure that businesses and manufacturers in the area had their items for shipping and receiving at the proper times,, duties of that nature.