Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Carb cleaner warning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Carb cleaner warning

Just read this on another forum and thought it should go up here, too.

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Good tip. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #3

SO noted, I use that stuff all the time. Thanks for the warning.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, good to know. I'm the type to stick my whole bare hand in a bucket of solvent to scrub a part, wipe my hands on my jeans, then light a cigarette.

More caution in the future for sure. Thanks for the post.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Just read this on another forum and thought it should go up here, too.

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

Chemical warfare agents
Fact Sheet 10:Lung Gas Phosgene (Carbonyl chloridechloroformyl chloride)
Description:
Phosgene is a colorless gas, which may form a white cloud. It has a particular smell of new-mown hay. Phosgene vapor is heavier than air and may travel along the ground
Signs and Symptoms:
Phosgene can be absorbed into the body by inhalation. It is corrosive to the eyes, the skin, the respiratory tract. It causes lacrimation, coughing and choking as well as tightness in the chest with pain and conjunctivitis. Nausea and vomiting. Signs and symptoms of pulmonary oedema can follow a latent period of 30 mins to 24 hrs. Anoxia, circulatory collapse can quickly follow.
Treatment:
No specific antidote exists for phosgene inhalation. Diuretics play a limited role in the treatment of phosgene inhalation injury, since they tend to reduce fluid loss into the lungs via the damaged alveolar-capillary membrane. Conversely, diuretics may cause hypotension in hypovolemic patients receiving positive pressure ventilation. Steroids are not effective in phosgene inhalation injury. Patients with hyperactive airways usually benefit from aerosolized bronchodilator therapy.
Inhalation:
Provide the patient with fresh air, ensure adequate rest. Sit in half upright position. If breathing has stopped, give artificial respiration. Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation should be used when mask-bag or oxygen delivery systems are not available. Do not use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation when facial contamination exists. Seek medical attention Immediately.
Patients with noncardiogenic pulmonary edema following inhalational phosgene exposure require further care in an intensive care unit setting. Initiate or continue standard treatment for noncardiogenic pulmonary edema, including the reversal of hypoxemia with supplemental oxygen and positive pressure ventilation.
Eye Contact: Seek medical attention Immediately. Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for 10-15 minutes
Skin Contact: Seek medical attention Immediately. Don respiratory protective mask and remove contaminated clothing. Immediately wash contaminated skin with copious amounts of soap and water, 10% sodium carbonate solution, or 5% liquid household bleach. Rinse well with water to remove excess decontaminant.

"Fact Sheets on Chemical Warfare Agents, SDE/SEARO, World Health Organization,

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Damn, I aint using brake cleaner in welding applications anymore.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1814 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 3727

All those years, using Brake Cleaner on the vehicles and the guns (Just kidding on this one).

I do remember, eating pizza while working on the vehicles and the oily and grease cover hands.

Guess, I just keep doing it! I need a light for my cigar!

This has me thinking of the time we did regular preventive maintenance on 2 1/2 ton trucks, with the camo touch-up paint and later (years) told us to stop using it!

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 05-25-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8643 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Never hurts to read those labels, folks. This is a common dry cleaning solvent, slang term perc. Took the place of carbon tetrachloride. Any of that chemical family is decomposed by heat and ferrous metals into phosgene. Years back, there were vehicle fire extinguishers that held a quart of carbon tet (I have two lamps in the man cave made out of them- nice brass) They pulled them from service when they found you would be better off letting the truck burn than spray carbon tet on it.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Same thing happens when freon comes into contact with flame. Mustard gas.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the warning