Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Carb cleaner warning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/carb-cleaner-warning-42964/)

M14sRock 05-25-2011 02:48 AM

Carb cleaner warning

Just read this on another forum and thought it should go up here, too.

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

freefall 05-25-2011 02:55 AM

Good tip. Thanks.

556plinker 05-25-2011 02:57 AM

SO noted, I use that stuff all the time. Thanks for the warning.

Jesse17 05-25-2011 03:54 AM

Wow, good to know. I'm the type to stick my whole bare hand in a bucket of solvent to scrub a part, wipe my hands on my jeans, then light a cigarette.

More caution in the future for sure. Thanks for the post.

Jpyle 05-25-2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 511309)
Just read this on another forum and thought it should go up here, too.

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

:eek::eek::eek:

Chemical warfare agents
Fact Sheet 10:Lung Gas Phosgene (Carbonyl chloridechloroformyl chloride)
Description:
Phosgene is a colorless gas, which may form a white cloud. It has a particular smell of new-mown hay. Phosgene vapor is heavier than air and may travel along the ground
Signs and Symptoms:
Phosgene can be absorbed into the body by inhalation. It is corrosive to the eyes, the skin, the respiratory tract. It causes lacrimation, coughing and choking as well as tightness in the chest with pain and conjunctivitis. Nausea and vomiting. Signs and symptoms of pulmonary oedema can follow a latent period of 30 mins to 24 hrs. Anoxia, circulatory collapse can quickly follow.
Treatment:
No specific antidote exists for phosgene inhalation. Diuretics play a limited role in the treatment of phosgene inhalation injury, since they tend to reduce fluid loss into the lungs via the damaged alveolar-capillary membrane. Conversely, diuretics may cause hypotension in hypovolemic patients receiving positive pressure ventilation. Steroids are not effective in phosgene inhalation injury. Patients with hyperactive airways usually benefit from aerosolized bronchodilator therapy.
Inhalation:
Provide the patient with fresh air, ensure adequate rest. Sit in half upright position. If breathing has stopped, give artificial respiration. Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation should be used when mask-bag or oxygen delivery systems are not available. Do not use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation when facial contamination exists. Seek medical attention Immediately.
Patients with noncardiogenic pulmonary edema following inhalational phosgene exposure require further care in an intensive care unit setting. Initiate or continue standard treatment for noncardiogenic pulmonary edema, including the reversal of hypoxemia with supplemental oxygen and positive pressure ventilation.
Eye Contact: Seek medical attention Immediately. Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for 10-15 minutes
Skin Contact: Seek medical attention Immediately. Don respiratory protective mask and remove contaminated clothing. Immediately wash contaminated skin with copious amounts of soap and water, 10% sodium carbonate solution, or 5% liquid household bleach. Rinse well with water to remove excess decontaminant.

"Fact Sheets on Chemical Warfare Agents, SDE/SEARO, World Health Organization,

doctherock 05-25-2011 04:41 AM

Damn, I aint using brake cleaner in welding applications anymore.

Bigcountry02 05-25-2011 05:14 AM

All those years, using Brake Cleaner on the vehicles and the guns (Just kidding on this one). :(

I do remember, eating pizza while working on the vehicles and the oily and grease cover hands.

Guess, I just keep doing it! I need a light for my cigar! :D

This has me thinking of the time we did regular preventive maintenance on 2 1/2 ton trucks, with the camo touch-up paint and later (years) told us to stop using it!

c3shooter 05-25-2011 05:30 AM

Never hurts to read those labels, folks. This is a common dry cleaning solvent, slang term perc. Took the place of carbon tetrachloride. Any of that chemical family is decomposed by heat and ferrous metals into phosgene. Years back, there were vehicle fire extinguishers that held a quart of carbon tet (I have two lamps in the man cave made out of them- nice brass) They pulled them from service when they found you would be better off letting the truck burn than spray carbon tet on it.

fireguy 05-25-2011 01:01 PM

Same thing happens when freon comes into contact with flame. Mustard gas.

General_lee 05-25-2011 01:35 PM

Wow! Thanks for the warning :eek: