Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Car talk: LS1 or LS2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Default Car talk: LS1 or LS2?

Looking for a 2004/5/6 GTO. Any insight on getting an ls1 (2004) or ls2? (2005/6) i know the ls2 motors had the issues prone to eating oil but i havent been able to find much on the ls1. Looking for the better base and i do plan on doing head work and big cam.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrawler
Looking for a 2004/5/6 GTO. Any insight on getting an ls1 (2004) or ls2? (2005/6) i know the ls2 motors had the issues prone to eating oil but i havent been able to find much on the ls1. Looking for the better base and i do plan on doing head work and big cam.
Wife's friend has an 06. She drag races it. Fairly stock. She has no complaints.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Alot of ls1 eat oil between changes. 1-2 quarts depending on the type.

My 99 z28 m6 pushed 415hp at the ground after the last tune. It would use about 1/2 qt between 2k mile changes.

Ls2 is what it is. Same dog with bigger holes. Bigger holes means more power per dollar spent.

And, I remember hearing of alot of suspension/wiring/brake issues in the early models.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #4

Hmm so sounds like sticking with an 06 would be the way to go, i though it was strange hearing of any issues with any of these motors though they were real solid. Guess we will see!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Oh they are solid. I don't know of any production models that could handle what I've done to this car

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5307 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

my transam is a 2001 and has a ls1 it eats zero oil between 3k oil changes. runs great.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #7

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

A lot of people don't know that the LS platform take more oil to fill after a oil change. They should not use enough oil between changes to notice on the stick. If they do the the oil rings, valve seals, or gaskets somewhere are not doing their job. On a long shot the rings themselves are not sealing in the cylinders and letting compression into the pan and blowing oil out.

I have played with both the LS1 and LS2 and they are nice engines to work with. As for the Goat, the G8 is a lot nicer car. More stable at ummm, higher speeds, good balance in the turns.

Depending on what you want out of the car will be a large factor in what you need to do.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross
A lot of people don't know that the LS platform take more oil to fill after a oil change. They should not use enough oil between changes to notice on the stick. If they do the the oil rings, valve seals, or gaskets somewhere are not doing their job. On a long shot the rings themselves are not sealing in the cylinders and letting compression into the pan and blowing oil out.

I have played with both the LS1 and LS2 and they are nice engines to work with. As for the Goat, the G8 is a lot nicer car. More stable at ummm, higher speeds, good balance in the turns.

Depending on what you want out of the car will be a large factor in what you need to do.
I do agree the g8 is a wicked ride and very nice a friend of mine has one but a manual trans is a must no exceptions for me. If it had the t-56, id consider it more

Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #9

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts

Zombie, got ya, a gear banger...be still my heart. The T-56 is a easy swap into the G8 as the parts are the same as the GTO. I just finished a T-56 swap into a 85 C 10 and everything was custom due to the age difference, turned out nice and FAST.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts

What do you plan on doing with the car? Drag racing? Auto x or just a fun street car? Both engines are very good and can be made to push some good numbers with few mods, the LS2 is pretty much the same engine as the LS1. A heads/cam swap and some minor bolt ons should get you well into the 400+ rwhp realm. If you plan on drag racing and want to to do it with good results, I am going to suggest going auto and a big converter (at least 4000) to go with that cam and heads swap. I dropped a 1/2 second with no other changes than going from a T56 to a 4L60E and Yank 4000. The car would go consistent 1.5 60 foots. And it was fun on the street. That said I do understand that a 6 speed is fun too, but don't be fooled the T56 is not a strong trans. My car was a 2001 Camaro SS. With just the mods I mentioned, plus long tubes and some minor weight reduction the car went 11.4's @ 117 pretty much all the time. It was highly dependent on pulling a good 60 foot though, if the track sucked the car would lose 3-4 tenths pretty easy.