car stereo questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > car stereo questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default car stereo questions

I recently decided to upgrade the stereo in my truck. I like my music loud when off road. I have the configuration figured out and need help with how to execute my plan.
I want to put 6x9 speakers under my two front seats, bringing my total speaker count to 6 plus 1 12" sub under the rear seat. the sub is powered by a mono channel amp. How can I power the remaining 6 6x9 speakers with an amp? All I can find is two and four channel amps for a reasonable price. Is there a way to loop the speakers so they all receive the same power through a 4 channel, do six channel amps exist, or is there a better powering method? Should I just give up on the two extra speakers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

4 channel. Run small speakers off two channels, bridge two channels for sub for max amps. Make sure to use a high pass filter to kill high tones in sub.

I had a killer set up in my Toyota some ****ing prick bitches stole the ****.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

High pass filter? I'm new to the whole sub and amp thing so I have no idea what some of the components are. The single amp I have for the sub runs it perfectly, so can I use a four channel for just the six speakers and if so how do I get the same power to all of them?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednekked
High pass filter? I'm new to the whole sub and amp thing so I have no idea what some of the components are. The single amp I have for the sub runs it perfectly, so can I use a four channel for just the six speakers and if so how do I get the same power to all of them?
Where do you live?

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #5

Google dude. Google.

Oh dern....

Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
so can I use a four channel for just the six speakers and if so how do I get the same power to all of them?
You can't, power ratings are for one speaker on each channel, you can share the power of each channel, but you will need a bridge to balance the draw to each set of speakers, not all speakers are rated the same.

You need to go to a "audio" forum for this kind of question.

Jim

Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in komiefornia in La Habra. I'd get it done but money is tight. I had most of the components given to me by a family member, so I figured I'd give installation a whack. Apparently audio is way more difficult than KC lights and a CB. Audio forum would definitely be best but since I'm a member I figured I'd ask and see if it helped. Now I just have more questions. More research in my future. Thanks fellas.