Car Advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Car Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Car Advice

Well the Toyota Tacoma outlook is looking grim so I started looking at Nissan Frontiers which are relatively cheaper and offer pretty much the same functionality of a Tacoma but with the crappy interior they are known for.

Interior isn't a deal breaker for me but I prefer the Tacoma's.

Cars for Sale: 2010 Nissan Frontier SE in Kaneohe, HI 96744: Truck Details - 310550620 - AutoTrader.com

Then I found that above Truck and I think I like it...everything I wanted in a Tacoma in a 2010 with way less mileage.

And then....I fell in love with this truck.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=308551792&dealer_id=588389&car _year=2005&systime=&doors=&model=SSR&search_lang=e n&start_year=1981&body_style=TRUCKS&keywordsfyc=&k eywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=b oth&distance=25&min_price=&rdm=1321697822025&drive =&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_di splay=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&s howZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=HONOLU LU&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_ code=32&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&ct=u&defa ult_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&color=&address=9686 0&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=CHEV&seller_ type=b&num_records=25&cardist=7&standard=false

I hate Chevy because of the bailouts but I'd be tempted to sell myself out for that above beut.....it reminds me of my mom's Z28 on the inside.

What do you guys think? Truck Cruiser....or just Truck.

I'm scared about the SSR because it's a relatively rare truck now....since they stopped making it...and I'm not sure what mechanical problems it had.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If I had to pick between Toyota and Nissan it would be Toyota.

Chevy makes a good vehicle but I don't like them because of the bailouts. Stay away from the SSR, it's basically a Corvette(but kinda ghey), and while reliability isn't an issue some of the parts can get pricey.

Have you looked at Ford at all? No bailout and qaulity is just as good as anything you've listed.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I've been directly in the auto industry for decades... I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the bailout band wagon. Literally had they not received the direct, or INDIRECT assistance, then there would have been some huge implications for the entire country. Auto has always driven the mfg sector of this country, and still does. What I'm not happy about was the bastardized bankruptcy process.

GM has some good product, and is likely to survive
Chrysler scares the hell out of me, I don't see them making beyond another 3 years
Ford is the most stable, BUT, they are now beginning to suffer the consequences of cutting too deep in '08 & '09. They'll survive, but may struggle for a couple of years.

IMO Ford and GM trucks are solid capable vehicles.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I've been directly in the auto industry for decades... I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the bailout band wagon. Literally had they not received the direct, or INDIRECT assistance, then there would have been some huge implications for the entire country. Auto has always driven the mfg sector of this country, and still does. What I'm not happy about was the bastardized bankruptcy process.

GM has some good product, and is likely to survive
Chrysler scares the hell out of me, I don't see them making beyond another 3 years
Ford is the most stable, BUT, they are now beginning to suffer the consequences of cutting too deep in '08 & '09. They'll survive, but may struggle for a couple of years.

IMO Ford and GM trucks are solid capable vehicles.
The bailout wasnt to save gm or chrysler it was to save the union dues flowing into democrat campaign coffers. If they had of failed they would have restructured gotten out from onerous union contracts and been healthy companies. Ford is going to have the same issue soon and gm/chrysler will.soon do a repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Well the Toyota Tacoma outlook is looking grim so I started looking at Nissan Frontiers which are relatively cheaper and offer pretty much the same functionality of a Tacoma but with the crappy interior they are known for.

Interior isn't a deal breaker for me but I prefer the Tacoma's.

Cars for Sale: 2010 Nissan Frontier SE in Kaneohe, HI 96744: Truck Details - 310550620 - AutoTrader.com

Then I found that above Truck and I think I like it...everything I wanted in a Tacoma in a 2010 with way less mileage.

And then....I fell in love with this truck.

Cars for Sale: 2005 Chevrolet SSR in Kaneohe, HI 96744: Truck Details - 308551792 - AutoTrader.com

I hate Chevy because of the bailouts but I'd be tempted to sell myself out for that above beut.....it reminds me of my mom's Z28 on the inside.

What do you guys think? Truck Cruiser....or just Truck.

I'm scared about the SSR because it's a relatively rare truck now....since they stopped making it...and I'm not sure what mechanical problems it had.
Politics aside my preference is chevrolet. They just drive better as they have better road handling and the interiors are very comfy. The reason i dont like ford is drivingtheir trucks feels like im fighting the thing down the highway. Get done with a drive and its like i just fought a boxing match. Plus the seats suck and the interiors are cheap.

Stay away from the ssr unless you got lots of extra $$$$ to spare on repairs on the rare body and interior parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #5

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Nissan is one of the hardest cars there is to work-on...Saab is another-one...Some cars nowdays have computer-chips just for the windows to go up and down...Just more things to go wrong if you ask me...Then again I drive a 1976 cj-5jeep and the doors and windows come off...Buy a older...Bithcin...jeep or truck...

Old 11-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

The Chevy you're looking at is a used 2005. It was built pre-buyout and not one penny of your transaction would make it back to Government Motors.

I know how you feel. I just purchased a new car and pretty well ruled out any new GM or Chrysler products. I did consider pre-bailout used GM's because I knew my money would be going to the local guys and not the cronies in Detroit.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

IIRC, The SSR cannot handle more than 7-800 lbs in the bed...
My dad was looking at one as well a few years ago, He was told that by the salesman, But double check to be sure, Its somewhat pointless to have a pickup that cant carry much.
Best of luck

Old 11-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The SSR didn't have any unusual number mechanical problems, even the ones you usually see in the all-new models that don't have the bugs worked out. The are "rare" now because they completely bombed on the market. Turns out just not very many people like the way they look. Like was mentioned before with the parts being a bit pricey, I'm pretty sure the drive train is nothing super unique and parts can be found pretty easy, but if you get a busted headlight, be prepared to bend over and take it, cause that's gonna cost a pretty penny to replace.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The bailout wasnt to save gm or chrysler it was to save the union dues flowing into democrat campaign coffers. If they had of failed they would have restructured gotten out from onerous union contracts and been healthy companies. Ford is going to have the same issue soon and gm/chrysler will.soon do a repeat.

Politics aside my preference is chevrolet. They just drive better as they have better road handling and the interiors are very comfy. The reason i dont like ford is drivingtheir trucks feels like im fighting the thing down the highway. Get done with a drive and its like i just fought a boxing match. Plus the seats suck and the interiors are cheap.

Stay away from the ssr unless you got lots of extra $$$$ to spare on repairs on the rare body and interior parts.
I'm a Ford fan, big time. And I have to agree with your assessment on Ford vs Chevy. I've told people that if I had the money to build my perfect truck, it'd be a Ford that rides and drives like a Chevy, and with a Cummins diesel.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm a Ford fan, big time. And I have to agree with your assessment on Ford vs Chevy. I've told people that if I had the money to build my perfect truck, it'd be a Ford that rides and drives like a Chevy, and with a Cummins diesel.
I think you just described a Dodge 2500. Oddly enough Ford owns Cummins. I too vote no on the SSR. They are not really a truck, they just sorta look like one. You may not be old enough to remember when Ford brought out a sorta truck on the Falcon body platform. And then there were the factory station wagon conversions. The Chevy El Camino is still a popular antique/hot rod.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.