Canoe Trip story 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Canoe Trip story 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Canoe Trip story 2

We pick up with Saga #2 on the way down the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Nancy and Larry still leading the pack and Sarge and Linda following along. So far so good we have made it past T.P. rapids and the river seems to have settled down. We are paddling along in what almost looks like a long narrow lake the water is so peaceful. Up ahead Nancy and Larry suddenly start paddling real fast and then....disappear. I can't believe my eyes one minute they are there and the next ....gone. Then the howl comes floating back up the canyon at us. YAHOOOO! Yahoo? What is this Yahoo business?
"Sarge STOP!" cries Linda. "It's a Dam!" To late the canoe is in the slip stream and there is no brakes for this speed. And we are going over the damn dam! And over we go! I find myself screaming, Linda is screaming. Water is hitting our face, and the prow of the canoe dives into the water and fills the canoe with water. Luckily we have all the gear in plastic bags for after we tipped over.
And tip over we did, actually we just made like a submarine and DIVE DIVE DIVE. Down we went to the bottom of the river. I see Linda floating up past me and she is swimming like a fish toward the bank. Me, I can't swim so I just sit there in the canoe. Then I rise up slowly and start floating. Scenes float past me. I have heard that the last moments of your life all you scenes of your life go past your eyes. A shape floats past me, it looked like that little girl in 4th grade, the first girl I ever kissed. I remember her. Actually after I got a better look at the shape it turns out to be a fish, a sucker fish, but the lips looked a lot like that girls lips. Then I pop to the surface. Thank the Lord for PFD (personal flotation devices) Life jackets which we all were wearing. I am being carried along by the swift current, bounced off rocks pushed down under the water, then banged into more rocks. If I can just grab one of the rocks, I thought. Coming up out of the water I see a boulder, no two boulders. I reach up and grab them. That's funny they are awfully soft for boulders. Nancy! she has found me. She puts her hands under my shoulders and drags me out of the water. OH NO! here I am, I almost drown and now I am going to be smothered by mammarys. Holding me like I am a little baby she wades back to the shore. She whispers to me, "You aren't into canoeing just for the river, are you?"
I say, "I'm sorry" and take my hands off the boulders. You guys just do not know what it is like to be bodily picked up by a gentle giant woman. Nancy carries me down the shore and gently sets me down on the ground near a crackling fire. Across from the fire is Linda wrapped up in a blanket, her teeth chattering noisily. It looks like a good idea so my teeth join in for the chorus. Finally Larry comes wading up the river with our canoe on a rope and all our gear in plastic bags which we did so it would stay dry after we tipped over.
"We might as well stay here for the night," Larry stated. "Tomorrow is our last day and we will be in the Grayrock area. That is when you will really see what white water canoeing is all about."
Very encouraging, Larry.
See you all tomorrow and the rest of the story.
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #2

Liked 132 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 246

You need to wright a book,you are dam good at your story's. Make that books...Great read!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Srge- you just reminded me- Stopped in local mechanic's place one Monday morning- the owner was just hanging up the phone, and laughing so hard he could not breathe. The source of his amusement? The local river has a lot of small boat folks- canoists, kayakers, Jon Boat fishermen, etc. Two popular public boat landings about 6 miles apart.

Shop owner, Dave, had a newbie neighbor that wanted to go from one landing to the other- but there was a problem- a rock dam across the river between the two points. David had told him, when water conditions were right, the dam was not a problem- drop was only 2-3 feet, decent flow over in 2 spots- just pick your spot, paddle, shoot the crest, hit the water.

He had just gotten off the phone with the newbie, who had called to complain about the advice he had been given. He had done some serious damage to his nice new aluminum Jon boat, which, thanks to a shallow river, and built in floatation, he had retreived from the river, but was no longer pretty, and would need metal straightened, a couple of pounds of pop rivets and some paint- and the newbie was very upset.

I could not understand why- have run the dam a few times- as long as there is enough water flowing, you squirt across like a watermelon seed- How the hell do you wreck a boat doing THAT ?

Well, that's why Dave was laughing. Newbie had taken his Jon boat with a 9.9 Mercury, and hit the dam full speed. Going UP the river. He had sailed straight into the raised face of the dam.

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-18-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #4

Default Damn that dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Srge- you just reminded me- Stopped in local mechanic's place one Monday morning- the owner was just hanging up the phone, and laughing so hard he could not breathe. The source of his amusement? The local river has a lot of small boat folks- canoists, kayakers, Jon Boat fishermen, etc. Two popular public boat landings about 6 miles apart.

Shop owner, Dave, had a newbie neighbor that wanted to go from one landing to the other- but there was a problem- a rock dam across the river between the two points. David had told him, when water conditions were right, the dam was not a problem- drop was only 2-3 feet, decent flow over in 2 spots- just pick your spot, paddle, shoot the crest, hit the water.

He had just gotten off the phone with the newbie, who had called to complain about the advice he had been given. He had done some serious damage to his nice new aluminum Jon boat, which, thanks to a shallow river, and built in floatation, he had retreived from the river, but was no longer pretty, and would need metal straightened, a couple of pounds of pop rivets and some paint- and the newbie was very upset.

I could not understand why- have run the dam a few times- as long as there is enough water flowing, you squirt across like a watermelon seed- How the hell do you wreck a boat doing THAT ?

Well, that's why Dave was laughing. Newbie had taken his Jon boat with a 9.9 Mercury, and hit the dam full speed. Going UP the river. He had sailed straight into the raised face of the dam.
LOL LOL LOL HA HA HA, Some people should not be allowed to own any kind of motors or vessals. You wonder how they survive in our world.
Sarge

Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #5

Default writting a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
You need to wright a book,you are dam good at your story's. Make that books...Great read!!!
Not according to my Journalist teacher in college. Let me back up a little. At the age of 60 yrs. I returned to College to get my degree that I had given up to get a job and support my wife and 4 kids. I majored in computers and ACAD 3D (auto computer aided design in 3D) But I took the journlalism course to fill out my requirements for an Engineering degree. I was doing fine with the course until I made the mistake of writing a story about hunting. It turned out the female teacher was a left wing liberal bunny hugger. So every time I wrote about hunting or guns she gave me a C no matter how good it was. So not the type of old soldier that takes a enemy attack sitting down I challenged her grades. It seems that the regulations said that any student could challenge a grade and even if they lost, the challenge would be a permanent part of the Instructors file no matter where they went or taught. Also the student could challenge each low grade three times again even tho he lost each time. After she got 9 challenges in her file, she left me alone. Except it dropped my grade point average from 4.0 to 3.57 But she learned not to attack an old Army Sergeant.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #6

Default keep writing

Sir; lolol; your ''friends'' are wonderful Thanks, and keep writing. My face enjoys the smile

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of my English teachers in college was British and British literature was her specialty. How she got the job she got I have no idea. But most of her students, myself included, she would let us rewrite papers one time before it counted for our grade. She had some very strange rules and ideas about the American rules of English. I am glad at the time the psych was my major.