You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Canoe trip story 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default Canoe trip story 1

You have already met Nancy and Larry so another story about them is coming up.
Like I said in the last tale, we were canoeing buddies and spent many summer weekends floating the beautiful free running rivers of the Missouri Ozarks. After we had enough experience that we felt confident that we could navigate most any river, Nancy and Larry invited us to float the Buffalo River of Arkansas. This river was only float-able in the low water doldrums of summer as it was a very steep drop and once you put in there was no place or way to get out until you got to the very few takeout points. On the floaters guide there also was portage points because of rapids or falls and a couple of dams. We all had a floaters guide especially because of the information concerning the dangers of the river. (It didn't mention anything about, If you hear banjo music---paddle like H*ll however)
When we were being talked into this trip by our friends they also shared some advice. One of the things mentioned was bring along a lot of industrial strength trash bags. I figured it was to put trash in. It turned out to be to help your sleeping bag and equipment to float after you tipped over. All the preparation that was being made to help you find your gear after you tipped over was beginning to impress me and scare the heck out of Linda. You put all your things out of your pockets into a water proof bags so you wouldn't lose them in the water after you tipped over. Also you needed a water proof tag on your person so they could identify you after you tipped over.
Finally we were at the put in spot and I looked with apprehension at the river. Didn't look all that bad. Nice easy running stream. Not to wide, looked like a guy could run across it. So the die was cast and into our canoe went all the bagged gear. This particular stretch could only be made in three days so we had tents and sleeping bags and a lot of food and even lawn chairs. The canoes were packed. All of it rigged so it would float after you tipped over.
Off we went and doing great, after all Linda and I had over 500 miles on rivers in our red canoe. Even did some Force 3 rivers, we were confident.
"Hey Linda what does the book say is next?" I called from the stern of the canoe. In one mile we hit a place called "Toilet Paper Rapids" she called back. "Humm that don't sound so dangerous, I wonder why they call it that. Must be a old out house on the bend or something." The river took a sharp bend at the 1 mile mark and it's lazy characteristics suddenly changed. Nancy and Larry were in the lead as they had floated this river before. When they disappeared round the bend the river began to pick up in volume, heck it was starting to roar. Around the bend we swept and OMG white water jumping into the air!! Over at one side we saw Nancy and Larry on the shore with movie cameras, those rats. Then it was paddle for your life. Right, left, right, back paddle, look out for that rock, try to bend the canoe around the next rock, LOOK OUT more rocks Right right right I screamed. Water was splashing up over us and my glasses were soaked I was unable to see out of them. Look over the top of the glasses and see the next wave on it's way to hit me.
Finally the river spread out and calmed down. We paddled over to the bank where Nancy and Larry's canoe was beached. My God was I glad we got through that except for one thing. I felt like
I needed...........toilet paper.
So that is why they named that #$!*^!@ rapids that.
Sarge
Next story will continue down the Buffalo River ( it was a long river)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #2

Default perfect friends

Sir; another fun story Thanks

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default Great story

Lot's of great river's to float in the missouri ozark's and down into arkansas. The last float trip we went on,the people around us where parting a little to hard. They where drinking,druging,and flashing tit's. That don't bother me I'm a biker,but there where kids in some of the raft's and there parent's didn't like it. Every sand bar people where smoking pot. Then we saw park rangers in the tree's with bonoculers,down stream they where giving out $450 ticket's to people they saw. They took away peoples beer bong's and now they can't have beer bong's on the river. maybe next summer will be a bit more mellow floating down the river,I hope so. O the trash people left was disrespectful to our river's and wild life. We floated in oct.last year and we had the river to areselfs, It was great off season.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default Canoe trips

I am begining to believe we had the best time to ride the rivers. There was very little trash and few canoers. The trips that I am writing (or have written about a long time ago) happened in the late "60's" and canoeing was still in it's infanty. The Sportsmans club that I was the president of (Wecomo Sportsmens Club) and we had a fishing group, a shooting group and a canoeing group. Every year we had a BIG dinner at our company cafeteria. The hunters brought game meat and the fishermen brought fish. The canoeist brought tall tales of monster rapids. LOL
Sarge