"Canned hunts" Opinions? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

"Canned hunts" Opinions?

View Poll Results: Do we need federal laws to stop "canned hunts"?
Well of course we do. 1 3.85%
No we do not. 10 38.46%
We need controls but not from the federal government. 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3318 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 3056

I personally wouldn't do it. But that doesn't mean I have the right to tell someone else they can't. That's what the anti gun people do. If you want to tell someone else they can't do something just because you don't like it, that makes you just like the anti gun crowd.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

While I think it is disgusting and unsportsmanlike. If that is what some rich guys want to do then so be it.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #13

Liked 1316 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Default I believe in State's Rights

Hunting regulations while necessary, should be determined by each state based upon a combination of science, animal density and local cultures and traditions.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I believe that baiting animals for sport/money is horrible. It is cowardly and evil.

I believe that a man hunting for food to live on has the right to wage war on his prey and use any tactics he can to be successful. This is noble and honorable.
"---------\_/

Old 06-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #15

I seen a show on one of the hunting channels a few years ago. What the did was use trucks to drive a heard of American Bison in to an area that was all the truck on 3 sides and 1 100' cliff behind them(The cliff went up not down). Then a guy with a Shilo Sharps jumps out of the truck walks up and from about 10' blasts one of the Bison in the face, doesn't kill it runs and grabs another round from the truck and takes another shot. Then proceeded to talk like he is a big hunter and made some glorious kill then he went on about how it almost killed him.

I wrote to the show and to the station about how disgusting that was.

Canned hunts are disgusting. I know plenty of people that do them though. There are bird farms all over the place. In fact one of my clients goes every spring and fall to WVa and does a bird hunt. He buys 30 dove 30 quail and 10 phesents and maybe some woodcock.

The morning of the booked hunt they take the birds out to the fields and turn them lose around a big pile of grain. So the birds all stay in that area. Then they come in and you kill everything you paid for. If you don't oh well If you kill more you pay more.

Too many who just want the instant gratification of killing something and don't want to work for it.

I have been deer hunting for 3 years now and I have gotten 2 shots at deer. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Last edited by cpttango30; 06-21-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #16

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I don't call that hunting. I call that waiting. I personally can't stand it. I recall when I was VERY young going deer hunting with my dad. We didn't sit around and there was no baiting. We simply went into the woods, tracked down a buck, and shot it.

Hunting would imply that you're looking for something. When it has to come to you, that's not hunting, it's waiting and it's lame.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Being an old man who has been a avid hunter for over sixty years I feel that canned hunts are an abomination and should be outlawed. I have no respect at all for anyone who would partake in one and would never use the term hunter when referring to them To me there is something drastically wrong with a person who would even consider paying money to get the thrill out of killing a semi-tame animal. Hunting is a sport that takes dedication and skills that can only be earned by time in the field. I have no problem with people who lease land to hunt on, I do it myself, and set out feeders to make sure that sustainable populations of game animals are present Those who do this are true hunters unlike the kill crazy morons who partake in canned hunts. Those who advocate, take part in and support canned hunts should get jobs in a slaughter house to satisfy their blood lusts.

Last edited by Walley; 06-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #18

Who are we to limit how some one can take a game animal if they pay for the privliage to do it.

This is the same as saying We should have test to see if you are fit to have children.

What if I were to say that because of people like you feeding wildlife you are endangering their life. By feeding the deer we have over populated them to the point that mother nature has created CWD and upped the population of predators like coyotes to cull the heard. So you are just as much in the wrong as people who hunt in a pen. It is the same thing just a different way to go about it.

Do I like canned hunts? NO, but I do support the right that people have to do that if they are willing to pay for it.

People need to worry less about what others are doing and worry about themselves and what they are doing.

Being a free society doesn't mean the government needs to make more laws to control things they were never meant to deal with.

If you banned canned hunts. Then what? Ban hunting over bait. Then what ban hunting in field with food crops in them. Then what ban hunting till 2 hours after sun up and before sundown. Then what? Ban hunting on public lands. Then what ban hunting on private lands. Then what oh hell just ban gun because there is no use for them as no one can hunt.

Outlawing one action that is close to another is a step slippery slope that we should not and do not want to go on with dress shoes.

They are not hurting you they are not taking away from your hunting experience so why not just leave them the hell alone? Are they bothering you about the way you hunt?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm with Tango & C3 in that we don't need anyone with a badge or from an elected office spending time and dollars on legislation against something like this as there are much more pressing issues.

That doesn't mean we, as a shooting community, can't shun those that are making money hand over fist for what is basically a lay up hunt for some lazy rich guy.

Canned Hunts = Bad

Government action against Canned Hunts = Also Bad

JD

Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I was younger we use to kill live stock with a 30-06 so we could butcher them it was fun, but when it came to hunting didn't matter if it was a bow or a rifle we were out in the woods on foot, unless we found a pretty sweet deer trail then we used either a tree stand or a natural ground blind. Me and my four brothers some times my two younger sister went with but mostly my brothers leave at 5 in the morning get to our starting point and go from there till it was too dark to see.

I don't really even consider this hunting, it's more like just killing the damn thing to butcher it. When it comes to ferial hogs I would do it on a large farm not some tiny fenced in area with bait. On the other hand if a farmer is making money on it and feed his family with that money I wouldn't stop him.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."