Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > "Canned hunts" Opinions?

View Poll Results: Do we need federal laws to stop "canned hunts"?
Well of course we do. 1 3.85%
No we do not. 10 38.46%
We need controls but not from the federal government. 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default "Canned hunts" Opinions?

I watched a show tonight about "canned hunts". It showed this pair of undercover people using hidden video cameras to record "hunts" on private property of some unusual animals and using some tactics that would be illegal to use on truly wild animals. Apparently many states define animals raised like livestock (captive bred & fed & such) as livestock and not wildlife subject to the regulation of the usual state wildlife conservation agencies.

They talked about elevated deer blinds like they were ant-deer claymore mines or something, but i suppose such blinds aren't legal for deer in every state.

They went on a couple of hunts in New York state. They went on a couple of hunts in Texas and had an interview with the guy running the TX farm.

It didn't look much like the "hunting" i've participated in, and i am not a big hunter or excessive with the by-the-book ideal. I bent some rules as a kid, but i grew out of it (especially after that skunk). I don't think i would enjoy shooting a buffalo or ibex or much of anything under some of the circumstances in the TV show (baited to the stand, completely habituated to humans and gunfire, etc.). Of course, i am a strong supporter of individual property rights, including rights to livestock; this show seemed to center around "hunts" of "livestock" on private property. I don't much care for the government telling people what they can and cannot do with their own property, within reason (within reason as determined by a reasonable jury of their peers, not a special interest group).

The aim of the show was to encourage support for a law currently in the federal legislature to outlaw "canned hunts". It doesn't seem like fun or a worthwhile pursuit, but i think the federal government has bigger things to work on. I also think that the feds have delved so deep into trying to control other areas of regular citizens' lives that this just seems like more overgrown nannystate crap.

What do you think about having a federal law against "canned hunts"? How do you define a "canned hunt" in brief?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-21-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have always been against canned hunts and helicopter hunts. I am also not a huge fan of people that pay thousands of dollars to go to "farms" in Africa so Big Game "hunters" can bag their Big 5.

I think of hunters as people who go out with the possibility or actually getting skunked.

A canned hunt is a money paid guarantee, much like fishing in a stocked swimming pool.

Hate the idea. Hate that people are making HUGE profits doing it.

JD

Old 06-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #3

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

My friend shot a bear in Canada a few years back and said they take you out on a fourwheeler and drop you off at a baited 55 gal.drum that has meat-fat in it ....then you just set and wait shoot your bear then they pick-you-up...that's the hunt...Not hunting to me...SORRY....I like being in the woods and if I don't see a thing it was still a good hunt.......

Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #4

I grew up in Texas, and "tree stands " were the norm. I never hunted any other way. Never thought of it as a bad thing. I know that in neighboring Louisana, and I believe in Arkansas, hunting with dogs was the way it was done.
I had heard of "canned hunts", it was large ranches where deer were pretty much raised just like cattle, and the wealthy "city" hunters would fly in for the week-end, shoot a tame deer, and fly home.
I hate the thought of it. That is not hunting. I quit hunting many years ago,(a personal decision), but have no problem with those who do it in a sporting way. In my opinon, bow hunting by stalking is probably the best. I feel the deer has just as good a chance to come out the winner as the hunter.My son got his first that way.
Having said that, I certainly don't want the govm't stepping in with even more regulations to set up for "canned" or otherwise.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Even with small game, it is totally distasteful to me:

Oh and I'm sure that none of these birds went to waste.

Senator defends Cheney's pheasant hunt

Some nice tid-bits from the article:

Quote:
When Dick Cheney and a hunting party that included several Texas Republicans, among them Sen. John Cornyn, bagged hundreds of ring-necked pheasants at a private hunting club in Pennsylvania last week, animal-rights activists denounced it as a slaughter.

They were especially outraged that the vice president shot more than 70 himself.
Quote:
He conceded that bagging the birds was so easy, at times it seemed "kind of like how Tyson's and Pilgrim's Pride and other people do it.
Quote:
the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the 10-man hunting party killed 417 of 500 pheasants released from nets for the morning hunt.
Quote:
When pheasants are in season, which they weren't last week, Pennsylvania sets a two per-day bag limit. Those rules don't apply at Rolling Rock and the state's 358 other private and commercial hunting clubs.
Quote:
Outdoor writer Ted Kerasote, author of such books as "Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt," ... said few hunters would get much satisfaction when their prey has so little chance to escape. "That's like going to the grocery store and buying chicken," he said.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I guess I sit on the fence on this one (no pun intended), because by some definitions, that's what my experience in Africa was like.

The game park had two fences. An internal one that surrounded an area of 200 acres, and an extenal one, which covered more like 2000 acres. Both were 12 ft high ringlock fences with electrifed stand-off wires on both sides. They were to keep people and large predators out, and the game in. The internal 'paddock' was densly populated with game and was largely cleared. It was in this area that the game drives took place. Animals inside this area were accustomed to vehicles and people and would only wander off if the bakkie came within 50yrds or so. NO HUNTING WAS ALLOWED IN HERE.

The outer fenced area was much more sparcely populated with game, and was made up of a combination of grassveld and highland scrubveld. Game animals would run at the sight of a human, and if the bakkie entered this area, you would simply not see anything. There was one vehicle entrance, and a track around the perimeter of the fence to allow for annual maintanence. Sires specially caught from the wild were delivered once every three years to maintain genetic diversity, however that was the full extent of human interferance and interaction.

I researched the game park thoroughly before deciding whether or not it was satisfactory. I was told of horror stories where "rich white men with guns" (no offence intended to anyone here, these were the words of the owner) had specifically asked for their game to be drugged before the hunt I did not want a 'canned' hunt, however did not have the finances to hire a PH and hunt in the wild of Namibia. I dunno, to some, my trip may be viewed as a canned hunt, but I had enough failed stalks for me to know otherwise! It took me two solid days of stalking for a Springbok to present a decent shot.

There is a difference between 'shooting' and 'hunting', I have always been clear to make that distinction. And although my South African experience occured inside a fence, I am sufficiently satisfied that it was indeed hunting, and my most memorable hunting experience at that.

Last edited by AusLach; 06-21-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Ever been on the Skyline Drive in VA? AT the Big Meadows area, you are 40 miles inside a national park. No hunting. we would take the kids out at dusk, when the deer are coming out of the woods, into the meadow to bed down. Totally unconcerned about people. One evening we counted 62 deer. You could "hunt" them with a large crescent wrench- walk up and whack one between the eyes.

But to tell you the truth, as much as I dislike the "canned hunt" thing- our economy is in the toilet- unemployment in construction is about 20%, we have wars going in 3 countries- so........this- and Weiner's weiner is all the politicians have to worry about? And I fail to see where this is within the jurisdiction of the Federal government.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I believe "hunting" is fair chase. The animals have to have a fair chance of eluding and escaping a hunter. Shooting in small high fenced areas and/or hand fed animals is not hunting in my opinion.
To answer your poll, NO we do not need any federal or state regulation against "canned hunts"
You want to pay the money to go to some private reserve and kill an animal so be it, you want to go to the local slaughterhouse and kill your own steer or lamb for dinner so be it. Hell run a deer down with your car, and take the meat home to feed your family...so be it.
Just don't try to tell me how great a hunter you are.
None of the trophy recognizing organizations like Boone & Crocket or Pope & Young recognize any "trophys" from high fence hunts. That may P.O. the people that paid so much money for their "hunt". Too FN bad
I believe it is the way it should be.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I concur. I don't view it as hunting at all.

When I used to hunt, I spent more days getting nothing than bagging something, and I was okay with that.

Aerial hunts, chasing "problem" wolves down in a plane, then capping them when they're exhausted, suggests to me that the animal was far enough removed from civilization as to not be a "problem".

Fenced hunts, chopper hunts, canned hunts, all suggest to me that the "hunter" lacks the skill to really call himself that. Hunting is more than shooting an animal.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I like a fair hunt in the game animal's AO. When one is hunting and tracking, it becomes a challenge to engage an animal that is free, in its own environment, and both the hunter and the hunted, utilize survival skills. Not much skill involved nor real hunting when an animal is offered up, contained and restricted with no means of escape.

Hogs are invasive and destructive, and multiply readily. I have no problem with aerial hunting them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”