Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Which Canidate is likely to get your vote?

View Poll Results: Which canidate are you likly to vote for?
Fred Thompson 20 60.61%
Hillary Clinton 0 0%
Ron Paul 8 24.24%
Barack Obama 1 3.03%
Rudy Guliani 1 3.03%
Joesph Biden 0 0%
Mike Huckabee 1 3.03%
John Edwards 1 3.03%
John McCain 1 3.03%
Sam Brownback 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
Somebody voted for Edwards?

We must have a hairdresser on the board.
The steelworkers and mineworkers unions voted today to support Edwards; are you calling them hairdressers?

Edwards is not my candidate, but it is kinda sad how people fall for the haircut thing like it's a big deal. Do you really think Fred Thompson hasn't had some expensive haircuts?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
The steelworkers and mineworkers unions voted today to support Edwards; are you calling them hairdressers?

Edwards is not my candidate, but it is kinda sad how people fall for the haircut thing like it's a big deal. Do you really think Fred Thompson hasn't had some expensive haircuts?
Edwards' $1000 hair cuts only serve to indicate he's not "one of us". His politics are what turn many of us off. This article describing his idea of mandatory preventive health care should be enough to turn anyone off to this socia1ist.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's fine to disagree with his ideas. Just don't fall for the same stupid haircut smear they use in almost every election (it's $1000 now? Funny, it used to be $400).

Here's a newsflash: Mitt Romney is rich. So is Fred Thompson, so is John Edwards, so is just about every candidate running for president. Rich people spend money differently than working class folks.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
bkt

Quote:
It's fine to disagree with his ideas. Just don't fall for the same stupid haircut smear they use in almost every election (it's $1000 now? Funny, it used to be $400).
Edwards flew his stylist out from L.A. to Atlanta during the 2004 campaign and paid over $1200 for a cut. Whatever. Personally, I don't care what he pays.

But again, it illustrates a significant problem: only the wealthy can become president. Either a candidate must accept millions in campaign donations making him a puppet of others, or he must be independently wealthy. In either case, he is unlikely to truly represent the majority of the country.

Quote:
Here's a newsflash: Mitt Romney is rich. So is Fred Thompson, so is John Edwards, so is just about every candidate running for president. Rich people spend money differently than working class folks.
Yes, thanks, I realize that. The millionaires I have known tend to be pretty miserly, however. They understand that the key to building wealth is not spending money carelessly.

Edwards is in a class above that of the common millionaire.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #15

Likes Given: 2

I can not Vote am not an American waiting for my permanent residency to go thru then I'll get American citizenships then I'll start voting until then I'll try to keep up to date on whats going on

John

John W J
Heart in Australia
Body In New Mexico
http://opencarry.com/

Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
But again, it illustrates a significant problem: only the wealthy can become president. Either a candidate must accept millions in campaign donations making him a puppet of others, or he must be independently wealthy. In either case, he is unlikely to truly represent the majority of the country.
I agree that this is a significant problem. Another significant problem is how polarizing the process has become, and how effective the spin-doctors are at manipulating the masses with their attack campaigns, and distracting us from the important issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Yes, thanks, I realize that. The millionaires I have known tend to be pretty miserly, however. They understand that the key to building wealth is not spending money carelessly.
Did the millionaires you have known do a lot of national TV appearances? Did they have media consultants and PR teams? If you discovered that your candidate (whoever he may be) paid, say, $300 for make-up before a debate, would you drop him and henceforth refer to all of his supporters as beauticians?

I've never known any presidential candidates personally so it's hard to give a first-hand account, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that they all probably spend a lot of money on things like hair and make-up and other things that probably would seem pretty excessive to everyday consumers. Some are just craftier than others with the accounting.

Oh and here's a reference to Romney spending $300 on make-up:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0707/4982.html

Last edited by Quasi; 09-04-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #17
bkt

Quote:
Did the millionaires you have known do a lot of national TV appearances? Did they have media consultants and PR teams? If you discovered that your candidate (whoever he may be) paid, say, $300 for make-up before a debate, would you drop him and henceforth refer to all of his supporters as beauticians?
First, I never said I disliked Edwards as a candidate solely because of the absurd amount of money he drops on hair cuts.

Edwards' fiscal policies are a bit...unorthodox. At the same time he verbally chastised subprime lenders for foreclosing on those who can't pay their debts (particularly Katrina survivors), yet he invested $16 million of his own money into those same subprime lenders. In other words, Edwards is profiting on those whose properties are being foreclosed. Nice guy.

His recent health care plan, reminiscent of the Soviet Union's, should be enough to get the guy laughed off the stage and permanently out of the lime light. Unfortunately, too few people in this country understand the ills and failures of socialized health care.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Edward's health care plan is aggressive and I'm not the guy to defend it, or him really. Not today anyway (although I don't think national health care is necessarily so******t any more than a national highway system, farm subsidies, or public school systems are so******t).

I was just responding to someone referring to another forum member as a "hairdresser" for supporting Edwards in the hope that we can continue to have political discussions that are substantive and civil rather than buying into all of the labels that the spin doctors on both sides distract us with.

Last edited by Quasi; 09-04-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #19

Default There's a problem with perception, I think.

I've been a life long conservative, with few changes in my values or belief system. Most conservatives I know are similiar. I told you that to help explain this: Mr Bush is no conservative.

He leads like a progressive liberal with expensive social programs and big brother snooping that would thrill Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi if only the NSA would go after Americans instead of terrorists. Mr Bush would not have gotten many votes if conservatives had been able to choose ANYONE else.

Mr Bush said flat out that if Congress gave him a new assault weapons ban, he would sign it. That is NOT a conservative opinion. "No Child Left Behind" is just more Great Society So******m.

Now to the real problem: Rudy Guilani is the same as Bush and Hillary Clinton. Mr Romney's positions are the same as Bush and Clinton. The only conservatives that we can possibly elect are Mike Huckabee, Ron Paul or Fred Thompson. They are also the ONLY pro gun candidates running - from either party.

You have five generations of Americans who think the government OWES them something ( social security, welfare, free healthcare, food stamps, WIC and MANY others ). The instant you return to a constitutional based republic, ALL of these programs will have to go - they are unconstitutional!

Ergo, people are not ready to jump straight back to a constitutional government. Sadly, Mr Paul has no chance to win as soon as most sheeple understand what a true constitutional government really means.

So, Fred Thompson, possibly with Mike Huckabee as a running mate, could beat Hillary and Hussein Obama. It will take MANY YEARS to get this country back to a true constitutional government. We began to lose our Republic with Mr Lincoln's excesses, and EVERY president since his day have allowed it - or pushed it - towards the evil we have now.

Vote for your rights - especially your gun rights!

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #20

Default Ah! Mr Edwards!

Every time you go the doctor, $4 of your office bill is for malpractice insurance. Every time you have surgery, $35 of your bill is for malpractice insurance. Why, pray tell, are malpractice premiums for doctors so high?

Mr Edwards.

He pioneered an attack on OB/GYN docs that made him VERY wealthy. As with any business, the cost of doing business is passed on to the consumers.

Mr Edwards was even able to "channel" a dead infant in one trial.

He is an ambualnce chasing, nasty, lying lawyer. He has no chance to be President. And, I wish him great misfortune with his ill-gotten lucre.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.