Canada-USA Unification
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Canada-USA Unification

View Poll Results: Should Canada and the US Unify?
Canada and the US should eventually become 1 united nation. 2 6.06%
We should form a union, but have separate governments. 1 3.03%
We should stay separate, but continue our strategy of united trade/military agreements. 13 39.39%
Both nations should stay completely independent. 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Canada-USA Unification

Alrighty, well as the title suggests, this thread/poll is about Canada and the US becoming one country. Anyone can respond, but US and Canadian citizens are probably the most affected by this...

I am not giving any opinion because I don't want to influence others, I just want to see what other people think about the idea.

- - I'll ask that people keep the responses clean, this thread is for discussion and logical/reasonable arguments, not just emotional negative or positive responses! - -

So! Since Harper and Obama are talking about a new continental protection and trade/environment deal, I think its a good time to talk about how united our two nations are, and the benefits and drawbacks of that unity. Specifically, what do people think of uniting the two countries into either one sovereign country, or doing a North American union, where both nations are separate, but essentially with one economy.

To help think on this here is a link: take it and read the site:
United North America

I do not fully agree with the opinion on this site, but it is interesting to read.

In short, we are socially very similar: we have similar education, social values, religion, standards of living, similar government (with conditions) and essentially a united defense force. Read the website for more details.

Go for it, and don't forget the poll!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #2

Liked 129 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Hay..Hosers..of the Great White North...Your gun Laws are way to???....America should stand Alone........Forever.......You don't want all our problems anyway do you??.....Just Kidding...I love My Country..The Best on Earth!!!....GOD BLESS OUR VETS.......................

Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Just what we need more liberals wanting to suckle from the government teet.... No thanks. I like my gun laws and I like paying for and providing my own health care.

I had a friend that lived in Canada the wonderful socialized health care system cost him his sons life. He son was jumped and hit in the head with a bat several times. The boy died 2 days later in the hospital waiting for an MRI. I guess it was the only MRI machine for a long ways and you had to wait your turn. NICE.... Ya'll can keep that up there thank you.

I am not trying to be a prick I just don't see a need to add more people to an already over burdened system.

Last edited by cpttango30; 02-03-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I love VISITING Canada and wouldn't mind some real-estate there but definitely don't agree with the health care and gun laws.....besides those whiny french-canadians don't even want to be a part of Canada, imagine if they were told they would be part of the USA

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

I'll agree that the gun laws suck but there's no reason to believe that if a new country were forming, that the NFA (Canada) the NRA (US) and other rights groups couldn't maintain gun owners rights.

I should also point out that Canada has a dual healthcare system where everyone gets basic, but you can pay for your own at private hospitals. I also don't want to mention that Obama has basically instituted the same thing in the states now... Either way though! as a state don't you have the right to vote for private/public healthcare on a state by state basis?

And to a Canadian arguement someone gave me about Americans overwhelming Canadian votes: in any democracy each person has equal voting power - and when in the history of all Canada or America has every province or state agreed? Each nation is a federation and each state/province has people that want to think a certain way, its very unlikely that groups of provinces or states will "gang up" and try to swamp the votes of any other group.

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 02-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6346 Times on 3363 Posts
Likes Given: 469

if you guys want to adhere to our laws and become a state. welcome. other than that seperate totally.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #7

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any kind of unification or EU style union would be easy. This whole idea came to me about a year ago when someone brought it up in a political science class, and at first I thought "no way". however, I now have a degree in business and have thought about it alot more, and I'm starting to think that there are benefits to the two merging. Uniting Canadian resources sectors with US manufacturing power, a united continental defence, 400 million North Americans with our advanced societies would be a good match against the Chinese both economically and militarily. Plus many Canadian provinces have more in common with their US neighbors than other provinces, and I know many states are in a similar situation. Alberta and Texas, BC with Washington and Oregon for instance. All I'm saiyn is that with no real hatred between us, why wouldn't the two merge to become stronger?

I don't really expect this to happen, maybe in 50 years or something but not anytime soon. But the more I think about it, the more I see that it could work if it were done right. the biggest obstacle is people's knee-jerk reaction (like mine) away from it. I just like ot think about the topic because I find it interesting.The United States and Canada are strong allies and share a lot in common. As it is today, the border between the two countries practically doesn't exist. And the people share a lot of the same values.

It's not going to happen in the near future. Heck, it's not going to happen in the next decade. But I'm thinking distant future, perhaps a half a century or more.
So: Is it possible that Canada and the United States could one day combine into a single country? Or are there certain obstacles to such a union that would be much too difficult to overcome? - Big and Tasty

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if you guys watch Southpark, but I just don't feel comfortable as equals with people who have square tires and flapping heads.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

and what about Celine Dion? We gonna have to lay claim to her? I dunno man..That just seems wrong.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

But then we could claim William Shatner!!