Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Can you believe even Craftsman hand tools are made in china now? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/can-you-believe-even-craftsman-hand-tools-made-china-now-76113/)

Gh0zt36 11-10-2012 09:57 PM

Can you believe even Craftsman hand tools are made in china now?

I was just talking to a friend and hes replacing his dishwasher and we got talkin bout tools and craftsman came up and I said its probably chinese junk just jokin around .

So I looked it up and to my dismay I was right . Craftsman hand tools are made in freakin china now yet theyre still fetching top dollar????? Crazy I bought a pretty good set in 2004 so I went to look and thank goodness my set is all USA made . I better not break any of them or eles Ill have to exchange it for that junk ass chines crap . I read even snap-on is outsourcing to china now and thats top of the line pro shops use =O . God I hate the new world.

texaswoodworker 11-10-2012 10:04 PM

I've started buying old tools (unless it's a power tool). A lot of the time, they are much higher quality, and can be much cheaper. If you don't mind putting a little elbow grease into them to clean them up, they can be even cheaper. Ebay is a great place to look. Shipping can sometimes be a pain though.

Note: I'm talking about woodworking tools, but the same can probably be said for mechanics tools as well.

PC167 11-10-2012 10:35 PM

That's why I go to harbor freight to buy my tools... Before you take a baseball bat to my knees hear me out... I'm not a professional mechanic, so I don't need high quality tools and craftmans expensive as well . The way I figure, if the tool breaks I get another one cheap. :-D

Don't judge me! :-P

beaglesam 11-10-2012 11:38 PM

Is Craftsman still guaranteed for life?

rurak 11-10-2012 11:48 PM

Yes craftsman tools are guaranteed for life. I would rather buy something guaranteed

primer1 11-11-2012 03:30 AM

Great. The financial apocalypse is near.

willfully armed 11-11-2012 03:37 AM

Anyone who thinks craftsman is "top dollar" has never stepped foot on the Snap-On truck.

Old_Crow 11-11-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 1009829)
Anyone who thinks craftsman is "top dollar" has never stepped foot on the Snap-On truck.

+1 or a matco truck I actually prefer matco swivel sockets. They don't have the ring that snap on has...better for tight spots.

unit44justin 11-11-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC167
That's why I go to harbor freight to buy my tools... Before you take a baseball bat to my knees hear me out... I'm not a professional mechanic, so I don't need high quality tools and craftmans expensive as well . The way I figure, if the tool breaks I get another one cheap. :-D

Don't judge me! :-P

Most hand tools sold anywhere come with a lifetime guarantee. Look on your set of wrenches from harbor, they will most likely say so. The thing about craftsman is you can walk into your local sears and swap it out. Other cheaper tools you have to send in. You are paying for convenience.

SSGSF 11-11-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit44justin

Most hand tools sold anywhere come with a lifetime guarantee. Look on your set of wrenches from harbor, they will most likely say so. The thing about craftsman is you can walk into your local sears and swap it out. Other cheaper tools you have to send in. You are paying for convenience.

Not any more. The last time I took some tools to sears to get them replaced, a 1/4in ratchet and 1/2 extension that I snap in half. I thought I would just get two new ones and walk out, nope I got a refurbished ratchet. And they had to send me my extension away I guess to there HQ. and mail me a new one two weeks later.