Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Can someone answer this question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can someone answer this question

I just went to my local sporting goods store to purchase a shotgun and when they ran the application it came back as a delay.

I was baffled because I am a 52 year old former private investigator who had a concealed weapon permit.

When I got my PI license and weapon permits I had every criminal records serach done and passed, I my finger prints sent to FBI and passed, purchased a handgun at the same exact store without any problems.

This was all before 9/11 has things changed??? do they do random delays ???

I now wondering what the hell is going on... does this happen often?? I have not purchased a firearm in 10 years

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Where do you live, and I mean what state?

There may be more info needed.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The check system is in overload!

Not to worry, If in three days (may want to check that time limit) they have not cleared the purchase the dealer can sell the gun sans approval.

It's the way they provide themselves with time to approve the CCW requests.

Some one will be along shortly to correct or confirm.

BTW, WELCOME to the FTF! Glad to have you aboard!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #4

I live on the border of Minnesota and North Dakota, I live in Minnesota and the store is in North Dakota

Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #5

canebrake,
Thanks for the info now I don't have to keep wondering what the hell is going on......lol Thanks for the welcome

Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_a_g_l_e_p_i View Post
I just went to my local sporting goods store to purchase a shotgun and when they ran the application it came back as a delay.

I was baffled because I am a 52 year old former private investigator who had a concealed weapon permit.

When I got my PI license and weapon permits I had every criminal records serach done and passed, I my finger prints sent to FBI and passed, purchased a handgun at the same exact store without any problems.

This was all before 9/11 has things changed??? do they do random delays ???

I now wondering what the hell is going on... does this happen often?? I have not purchased a firearm in 10 years

Thanks in advance
Eagle - Welcome to the Forum

As long as you haven't done anything wrong, don't panic!

There is a TON of people applying right now and we FREQUENTLY seeing delays on people that we have sold 5 guns too in the last 2 years.

The Feds are understaffed and we ROUTINELY don't even get a call back on firearm's purchases after the required 3 days.

If your dealer does not get a call back in three days, you are legally allowed to take the weapon.

I am sure this is merely a paperwork delay based on the staffing on the Feds end, it has nothing to do with you as a person as long as you are sure your record is clean.

JD

Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #7

My record is clean as can be, hell I'm too old to get in trouble......lol

Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_a_g_l_e_p_i View Post
My record is clean as can be, hell I'm too old to get in trouble......lol
I am betting you are fine bro - it's just that the system is being FLOODED by people that are buying weapons right now.

One of the only parts of the economy that is doing well is the weapons, and related, industry...

Post some pictures when you get your new stick..

JD

Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #9

Thanks again,

I'm not buying anything special, just something for home protection so I tried to find the best shotgun for the money. My thinking is I don't hunt so the only time it I would use it would be if someone was supid enough to break into my home.

With the ecomomy going to hell I figure the crime will go up, we just had our bank robbed yesterday. The shotgun I decided to buy was the Mossberg 590, I was thinking of getting the Model 870 Marine Magnum but decided to save the $300 since for my purpose the two guns will both do what I need them for.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I did not realize the system is so overloaded. The last gun I got was on Valentine's Day, and the dealer cleared me and another guy on the same call. A good friend just got his new one 3 days ago. I wonder if the weather played a part in your area, e_a_g (seriously, a painful name, but hey). I saw youse guys got a mess of snow. When I say mess, I mean a ton. That near spring stuff always has alot of moisture and heavy. I know, because I lived in Cleveland for 16 years. I hope it comes thru for ya, and be safe.

News said that the roads were responsible for at least 5 deaths. I did not know a road could kill someone. I always thought bad weather and bad drivers were a bad mix, stupid me.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!