Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,154
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
If any of them say HC on top of them I would be interested in buying those that do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I actually have a forge I have yet to use (haven't had time, so it's been sitting around for a couple years). I found some spikes for sale that supposedly have a high carbon content. What should I do to treat them?
Judging Griffin81 by his avatar and his mention of the "HC" mark, he might be somebody to ask about the knife making.
__________________
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
orangello is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,834
Liked 3451 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

There is a "kid" (I think he is about 20 now) here in Texas that makes some pretty cool custom knives from RR spikes. He has honed his blacksmithing skills since high school to make himself a nice niche in the market.
__________________
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
robocop10mm is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gh0zt36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Micco,Florida
Posts: 1,488
Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Default

You have some? Is mild steel carbon steel ? Id like one to forge into a fixed blade knife . How much ?
__________________
" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin
Gh0zt36 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 4,015
Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Default

C3Shooter mentioned that this type of metal is going for maybe 8 cents a pound. He's right Now, if someone wants to sweat all day, and bust their nuts trying to pull 50 RR spikes out of the tracks worth maybe 4 bucks, they should probably let them.
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
C3Shooter mentioned that this type of metal is going for maybe 8 cents a pound. He's right Now, if someone wants to sweat all day, and bust their nuts trying to pull 50 RR spikes out of the tracks worth maybe 4 bucks, they should probably let them.
When I was looking into them, most people said that they were just lying on the side of the tracks.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 4,015
Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Default

right but some people mentioned on this thread that they could not be sold because they might have been puled up from the tracks.
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Judging Griffin81 by his avatar and his mention of the "HC" mark, he might be somebody to ask about the knife making.
I have one of his earlier knives. He definitely has talent and knows his stuff. You've seen his knife thread haven't you?

I believe the "HC" mark on the spikes means high carbon. Those are the good ones. I also have an old piece of spring steel that would probably make a decent knife.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-17-2013 at 11:14 PM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KimberFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 350
Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There is a "kid" (I think he is about 20 now) here in Texas that makes some pretty cool custom knives from RR spikes. He has honed his blacksmithing skills since high school to make himself a nice niche in the market.
I love hearing things like this....for awhile, I was beginning to think the craft was going to fade away.
__________________
"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977
KimberFan is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KimberFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 350
Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I have one of his earlier knives. He definitely has talent and knows his stuff. You've seen his knife thread haven't you?

I believe the "HC" mark on the spikes means high carbon. Those are the good ones. I also have an old piece of spring steel that would probably make a decent knife.
Your spring steel piece is probably a 1095 carbon steel, it'll do fine for a blade
if you just follow the same routine on finishing it out. Enjoy the forging!
__________________
"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977
KimberFan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
I love hearing things like this....for awhile, I was beginning to think the craft was going to fade away.
That's what I've heard for years. I did a little research yesterday and it seems the craft is still alive and well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
Your spring steel piece is probably a 1095 carbon steel, it'll do fine for a blade
if you just follow the same routine on finishing it out. Enjoy the forging!
Thanks, I'm not entirely sure exactly what I want yet, but I have an idea.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Spikes lowers homelessguy01 AR-15 Discussion 29 05-07-2012 07:04 PM
Del-ton or Spikes USMarineEJP AR-15 Discussion 21 01-31-2012 03:52 AM
Spikes AR okdonk AR-15 Discussion 6 12-29-2011 03:45 AM
Spikes Tactical (y/n?) Gloves AR-15 Discussion 8 12-08-2010 05:11 AM
S&W 32 Railroad Gun??? trickey Revolver Handguns 4 08-04-2008 02:39 PM



Newest Threads