Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
Another thing to consider, is they don't use the highest quality steel in those spikes for a good lasting edge knife unless you correctly anneal the spike and heat treat it properly after profiling it. You can get and edge on one but, unless its done right you'll need to carry a wet stone with ya. I've seen guys make them and grind the edges out on a belt sander calling it "good" for a sale ....anytime you see the slightest orange color making contact on your edge from a belt sander, that's a sign the temper is going bye-bye and edge holding ability is being reduced significantly. Remember that fellas...learn to stone sharpen your blades and strop them afterwards and stay away from those new gadget mini belt sharpeners they're selling now or electric sharpeners.

Alright...I'm done talking my old fart stuff now.
I actually have a forge I have yet to use (haven't had time, so it's been sitting around for a couple years). I found some spikes for sale that supposedly have a high carbon content. What should I do to treat them?

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-17-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I actually have a forge I have yet to use (haven't had time, so it's been sitting around for a couple years). I found some spikes that supposedly have a high carbon content. What should I do to treat them?
I'd stay away from the bucket of water quench on those old spikes..I've seen that stuff blow up like a shotgun shell doing that (not pretty). For me on one of those spikes, I'd split 50/50 oil and antifreeze. If you want to give it a good tempering..."borrow" your wife's oven for a couple hours. To temper the blade, you heat it to around 375-400 degrees and hold it there for two or three hours. The tempering range of plain carbon steels starts around 350 degrees and goes up. At around 350 degrees, the martensite starts to transform into tempered martensite, which is slightly softer and much tougher than untempered martensite. The higher the tempering temperature, the softer the steel will get so, personally, shoot for 360-370 degrees. Let it air cool, final grind the edge (fine grit) on it (don't let it get too hot now!) then stone sharpen it and polish it up. You'll get a good lasting edge on it that way. Some guys buy old toaster ovens after they get banned out of the kitchen on this...

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Last edited by KimberFan; 07-17-2013 at 02:51 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #23

Quote:
I'd stay away from the bucket of water quench on those old spikes..I've seen that stuff blow up like a shotgun shell doing that (not pretty). For me on one of those spikes, I'd split 50/50 oil and antifreeze.
Thanks for the tip. I probably would have been tempted to use water. Oil/antifreeze it is.

Quote:
If you want to give it a good tempering..."borrow" your wife's oven for a couple hours. To temper the blade, you heat it to around 375-400 degrees and hold it there for two or three hours. The tempering range of plain carbon steels starts around 350 degrees and goes up.
No wife, just a mother who doesn't cook.

Quote:
At around 350 degrees, the martensite starts to transform into tempered martensite, which is slightly softer and much tougher than untempered martensite. The higher the tempering temperature, the softer the steel will get so, personally, shoot for 360-370 degrees.
Martensite? What's that?

Quote:
Let it air cool, final grind the edge (fine grit) on it (don't let it get too hot now!) then stone sharpen it and polish it up. You'll get a good lasting edge on it that way. Some guys buy old toaster ovens after they get banned out of the kitchen on this...
Thanks for the info.

I've been watching a few blacksmithing basics videos on youtube. It definitely looks like something I could get into.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
hmh

Liked 194 Times on 130 Posts

No it is not legal to sell any rail components without a signed letter with contact information from a railroad giving you permission (they don't do it). By the way it is federal law and even the most shady scrape metal places will turn you in.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
No it is not legal to sell any rail components without a signed letter with contact information from a railroad giving you permission (they don't do it). By the way it is federal law and even the most shady scrape metal places will turn you in.
Look on ebay. There are more than a few listings for railroad spikes. If it's a law, it's a law that no one follows.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #26

Liked 1320 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 575

It is illegal to collect rail components off the RR right of way.

It is legal to dismantle abandoned rail sidings on your property and sell the components to a scrap yard, I have supervised this twice in my career to date.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Martensite is a fancy word that describes what happens after steel is heat treated and tempered under high heat to align all the molecules in the steel to flow in the same directional way...to much of it makes the steel brittle to little makes it too soft. There's a lot to know in blade work, but in all seriousness, it's a wonderful craft and you can make a good honest living at blacksmithing as well as solve the worlds problems at least twice a day as you pound on the anvil and think to your self.

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Off subject I know but I always thought the spikes forged into knives were pretty cool. Always wanted to be a Blacksmith lol.

Attachment 110267
I was going to suggest this. There seems to be other uses for them too but they are escaping me at the moment.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Martensite is a fancy word that describes what happens after steel is heat treated and tempered under high heat to align all the molecules in the steel to flow in the same directional way...to much of it makes the steel brittle to little makes it too soft. There's a lot to know in blade work, but in all seriousness, it's a wonderful craft and you can make a good honest living at blacksmithing as well as solve the worlds problems at least twice a day as you pound on the anvil and think to your self.
That makes more sense. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
I was going to suggest this. There seems to be other uses for them too but they are escaping me at the moment.
I've seen videos of someone make a tomahawk out of them, I've also seen decorative items made from them.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10953 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Kimber fan was giving you some good info. There are different crystalline forms in steel at different temps. What you are doing is heating it until it shifts to the crystalline form you want, and is SOME cases, quenching it to "freeze" that crystal pattern at room temp.

Fancy explanation of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martensite
People Like This