Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/can-railroad-spikes-sold-scrap-metal-69268/)

Big-Nasty 07-30-2012 08:24 PM

Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal?

I've been helping my grandma clean up around her house for a few weeks now. My grandpa past a few years ago and he was the type to buy old stuff at auctions, yard sales, flea markets, and pawn shops. Lots of good junk and bad junk. Grandmas been wanting to clean the place up and sell what she can. She wants me to take the scrap metal to a junk yard. In an old rusted 59 vw beetle I found around 50 railroad spikes on the floor. I was wondering if it was legal or not to sell them for scrap?

rjd3282 07-30-2012 08:44 PM

Why wouldn't it be legal to sell big nails?

FearTheFree7 07-30-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Nasty
I've been helping my grandma clean up around her house for a few weeks now. My grandpa past a few years ago and he was the type to buy old stuff at auctions, yard sales, flea markets, and pawn shops. Lots of good junk and bad junk. Grandmas been wanting to clean the place up and sell what she can. She wants me to take the scrap metal to a junk yard. In an old rusted 59 vw beetle I found around 50 railroad spikes on the floor. I was wondering if it was legal or not to sell them for scrap?

Not 100% sure but I heard you can't because they might think you went out and pulled them up yourself to sell.

c3shooter 07-30-2012 10:04 PM

Yes, they can be sold.

Most scrap dealers are required to maintain records of ID of anyone they buy from.

They are not brass- they are mild steel. Price is likely to be less than cost of gas to drive them to a dealer. Running ABOUT 8 cents a pound.

JigSawer40 07-31-2012 12:40 AM

I found out that they were not legal here. It was long ago and I was walking around the tracks picking up spikes laying around. When I got a bucket full I went to the scrap yard. A worker looked at it and called over the boss. The boss looked at it and asked me if I want two years in the pen. I told him they were lying around and he said leave them be. I went back and dumped them.

beaglesam 07-31-2012 01:02 AM

If grandma didn't pull them out from the track I think you can sell them.

griffin81 07-31-2012 01:10 AM

If any of them say HC on top of them I would be interested in buying those that do.

royabbott123 07-16-2013 07:08 AM

Re:Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal?

I think you can sell them as scrap. Find out from the scrap dealer in case of doubt! I think some places donít allow rail spikes to be sold as scrap because they might have been stolen from the railroad ties, but Iím not so sure! If youíre looking for a fair deal for your stuff, Iíd suggest you visit a SIMS metal recycling facility if thereís one near your place. I always go down to a recycling center near my home - http://us.simsmm.com/Locations/New-York/Frankfort to sell scrap when Iíve collected enough to recycle it.

MisterMcCool 07-16-2013 11:10 AM

The scrap metal dealers around here apparently don't care about the origin of your wares. Air conditioners go missing from houses, telephone lines disappear, catalytic converters are cut off of vehicles, things that are obviously not scrap are bought by the recyclers.

stratrider 07-16-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1305884)
The scrap metal dealers around here apparently don't care about the origin of your wares. Air conditioners go missing from houses, telephone lines disappear, catalytic converters are cut off of vehicles, things that are obviously not scrap are bought by the recyclers.

Theft of catalytic converters was rampant here in southern Alabama and I think it still is. The recyclers need their wicks trimmed, as in tougher rules/laws for buying. A "lifted" vehicle is the most prone for theft because they are easier to get to.