Can I buy guns?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Can I buy guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can I buy guns?

Would I be breaking any laws buying guns off the street in Oklahoma as long as they are not stolen? I know gun stores and pawn shops only pay one third of the guns value. How many guns can I buy without a FFL?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I do not know the laws in OK, but I buy (or trade for) most of my guns from private parties. Yes, you run the risk of buying a "hot" gun but my rule of thumb is if the deal doesn't feel right I pass on it. Some folks want a bill of sale and some don't. I generally only deal with folks that have a GA carry permit which "qualifies" them in my eyes.

Check your state laws and always be cautious. As far as how many, if the BATFE thinks you're running a business - they will get involved...

Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

A FFL is not required to buy guns- one is required to "be in the business" of buying and selling guns to make a living.

Now, how are you going to be sure you are not buying a stolen gun? Yes, there are ways to reduce the chances of that- but you need to give that some thought.

As far as prices paid for used guns- 1. Most people think that what they have is worth a lot more than what it is- and 2. If you are running a business, you have to pay taxes, rent, light bill, salaries- and make a profit. How long will that gun sit in the case, tieing up money I paid for it?

BTW, other than a Collector's FFL (03 C&R FFL) you will not GET a FFL unless you intend to "be in the business". And before you can be issued such a license, you will have to meet all local and state laws for running a business- business license, zoning, sales tax ID, etc etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.