Camping food - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Camping food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 973 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Anything most people can fix in a kitchen I fix camping. Pork chops, steaks, chicken and dumplings, salads of all kinds, great breakfasts. The possibilities are endless. A dutch oven, coleman stove and a fire you can fix 99% of the food you can fix anywhere. Fun to.

USMC 74-78

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #42

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Anything most people can fix in a kitchen I fix camping. Pork chops, steaks, chicken and dumplings, salads of all kinds, great breakfasts. The possibilities are endless. A dutch oven, coleman stove and a fire you can fix 99% of the food you can fix anywhere. Fun to.
I know people who found a way to bake on a campfire. Bread cooked in a can, cake cooked in a carefully saved orange peel, etc.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2448 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 336

We take a Dutch oven and a roll of aluminum foil. 90% of what we eat gets wrapped in several layers of foil and tossed into the fire.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22109 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

cast iron cookware and campfires go together!

i have cooked many a good meal over a campfire and actually enjoy cooking like that.

the smell of food cooking and woodsmoke make me hungry!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #45

Liked 2080 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

Hunting camp with my friends is the best. We all bring something. I brought some of my wife's homemade beef stew. Another guy brought chili, someone else brought venison. Got to have beef jerky. For breakfast I brought venison breakfast sausage. We cook on the fire, coleman stove, and charcoal.

But when backpacking...nothing beats hot dogs cooked on an open fire. A little can of chili and some shredded cheese. Breakfast could be eggs and bacon. I freeze everything before I go. I use instant coffee. And Vienna sausage...you gotta have Vienna sausage! Power bars to snack on while hiking. I have never used freeze dried anything. I had MREs in the Army. They were ok. I actually liked them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #46

Liked 839 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1742

Default Pack food.. ????

My son and I do primative hiking and camping... So everything is carried in. All cooking equipment is lightweight... aluminum mess kits. Food we include that does not take a lot of space or weight; Hard salami, oatmeal or grits, dried fruit (apple rings, raisins and cranberries are a favorite), Ramen noodles, granola bars and nuts... instant lemonaid & coffee and hot cocco mix. The heaviest thing we do carry is 2 canteens each. He's 12 year old... so 2 one quarts for him with covers & cups... and 2 two quarts with covers on me. IF you're going to go this route... I also recommend a small water filter straw... In case you do run out of trucked in supply and have to drink directly from an alternate source.; http://beprepared.com/aquamira-frontier-emergency-water-filter-system.html

Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2448 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
Hunting camp with my friends is the best. We all bring something. I brought some of my wife's homemade beef stew. Another guy brought chili, someone else brought venison. Got to have beef jerky. For breakfast I brought venison breakfast sausage. We cook on the fire, coleman stove, and charcoal.

But when backpacking...nothing beats hot dogs cooked on an open fire. A little can of chili and some shredded cheese. Breakfast could be eggs and bacon. I freeze everything before I go. I use instant coffee. And Vienna sausage...you gotta have Vienna sausage! Power bars to snack on while hiking. I have never used freeze dried anything. I had MREs in the Army. They were ok. I actually liked them.
I disagree. Sausage beats hotdogs cooked over an open fire. I have an MRE stash, with a little Tony's added they're pretty good.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #48

Liked 444 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Here's something for you blokes to try as an appetiser with a few cold beers.

Grab a couple of spuds(potatoes) and with their skins still on wrap them in foil and then put them in the edge of the fire and let them cook for about roughly 10 minutes or so but testing with a knife by piercing the spud with the knife and when the knife goes into the spud real easy grab a pair of tongs or whatever and pull the spud/s out and put them on a plate and then unwrap the foil(remember it's still very hot) and the cut the spud about halfway and add a daub of butter and sweet chili sauce or whatever and use a spoon to scoop out and enjoy.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #49
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1966 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 11172

Depends on where and when we are camping. If it is local, say 2 days at one of the local creeks or rivers, MREs and what ever we catch or shoot. Over the fire, I built a stand for the old iron grates from my last propane grill that we build a cooking fire under and roast fish and game. We have a tripod and a 3 gallon pot for boiling water and heating the MREs. usually have a cooler with home made venison Italian sausage for me, polish sausage for the wife. She can't have seeds, diverticulosis.

If we go into the catskills or the Adirondaks, I bring along some freez dried food, usually Mountain Home brand, and a camp stove. Our first meal there is prepared at home, and it gets cooked on the intake manifold of our truck during the trip. On the way back, If we caught any trout while we are out there, or one of us fills a deer tag, we cook a roast with potatoes on the engine on the return trip for our lunch.

We sometimes splurge whether near or far, and pick up some bread, bacon, eggs and sausage on the way to where we will be. We bring a cooler along with burger, hot dogs, brats, and some cheese. I stop in at the local welding supply house and pick up some dry ice the day of said trips. this keeps the food cold for longer, but here is a quick tip for anyone who wants to try going this route. Do not put you trip beverages in the cooler with the dry ice. they will freeze solid in no time, and soda cans will rupture when this happens. they go in the cooler with the regular ice.

We always take mess kits with us, and most of the time we have at least 1 cast iron skillet and a dutch oven with us. When ever we go out, we have the dog with as well, In her case it's 5 to 10 pounds of her dog food, 2 gallons of water from home, and some milk bones for her.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #50
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7506 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 8408

I loved Camping when I was a Kid, me and my Best Friend George would grab our packs, Coffee Percolator and Java, a little bacon grease, a couple eggs, some tin foil, (maybe some booze), our fishing poles and our 22's and head out into the woods for a few days at a time, that was the life, (That was when we were 12!). Living off fresh caught Trout, Squirrels, frogs, wild greens, berries and other stuff was fun. The adults on these Survivor shows could have learned a few things from us, we ate well!

We also traveled all over the US every summer in a VW Bug towing a tinyPopup Camper. My sisters hated that but I loved the nights in the campgrounds, fires, ponds and occasional pools (pools were foreign to this Rural Rat). Well over half of our summer meals were cooked on a double burner Coleman White Gas stove in parks around the US. The cooler was our refridge and it took up significant space in a little bug!

Then I joined the Army! That ruined my thirst for camping! 21 years of Face Paint, angry people everywhere, overloaded Rucks, Crappy food, shelter halves, no sleep, critters and bugs, sleeves down, boots bloused and no comfort whatsover irreparably stained my memory of camping forever. Then I got married and my wife has no interest so I have fought the urge to reclaim the wonders of my youth! Im still rural, still loving the great outdoors but I like to sleep on a bed, in a seasonally accentuated climate controlled abode and eat descent hot chow whenever I feel like it.

Ah memories! Good to have them but not always good to relive them when your body gets a bit tired!