Camping food - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Camping food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1310 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 1373

I take my Coleman stove, because I gotta have my coffee maker...............

coleman-camp-coffeemaker_thumb-3-.jpg  

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1794 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

Cindy when we go out there is usually a group and I assume that is your case as well. It is a mistake to go with just one rig. It is up to each individual to bring what they want to eat and the preferred method to prepare it. With that said we use all of what you mentioned plus one of the preferred in our group is to rap left overs in aluminum foil and throw it on the intake manifold an hour or so before you are ready to eat. All though if your blasting thru mud I could possibly see some problems with that.
When we get off the trails we fire up grills and camp fires and start cooking. The group I am with is like family so it is a group effort and everyone shares in it. Hope you have fun.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #33

Liked 1763 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 2492

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
Cindy when we go out there is usually a group and I assume that is your case as well. It is a mistake to go with just one rig. It is up to each individual to bring what they want to eat and the preferred method to prepare it. With that said we use all of what you mentioned plus one of the preferred in our group is to rap left overs in aluminum foil and throw it on the intake manifold an hour or so before you are ready to eat. All though if your blasting thru mud I could possibly see some problems with that.
When we get off the trails we fire up grills and camp fires and start cooking. The group I am with is like family so it is a group effort and everyone shares in it. Hope you have fun.
I do go by myself sometimes, just me and the dogs for a couple days, but dont take too many chances when im by myself..And not talking about anything too extreme here...never more than a couple miles off the main road.. When the whole gang goes (usually 5 to 8 trucks, 8 to 15 people)...we haul in way more food/drinks than we need. And my bud Donnie's gf, Melissa likes to do all the cooking for the whole group. We even take a TV/inverter so we can watch the Bengals games......

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #34

Liked 599 Times on 319 Posts

I use a gas grill. It's all about easy stuff, steak, chicken, spam , corned beef hash, and eggs. I can live on breakfast food.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #35

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 219

back in july i did a one night camping kayak trip, used my pepsi can alcohol stove [using denatured alcohol], had instant oatmeal, starbucks via packet, ramen, and a protein shake.

my last camping trip [a few weeks ago] was a week long backpacking trip. i had instant oatmeal packets, starbucks via packets, ramen, and then some protein shakes [that weighed the most, but was worth it]. due to extreme wild fire danger [and 2 burning 20-30 miles away] open fires were prohibited, and stoves were specific as to function and fuel, [otherwise i would have used my pepsi can alcohol stove], i had to quickly buy a single burner propane stove [i already had the propane], but that barely worked half the time. returned it soon as i got back, then took a week to locate and buy a coleman white gas stove. next year i shouldnt have any problems.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #36

Liked 395 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Ahhh, ok. Never heard that.
Aussie slang.............keep forgetting that some of our slang leaves you blokes scratching your heads at times.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
I do go by myself sometimes, just me and the dogs for a couple days, but dont take too many chances when im by myself..And not talking about anything too extreme here...never more than a couple miles off the main road.. When the whole gang goes (usually 5 to 8 trucks, 8 to 15 people)...we haul in way more food/drinks than we need. And my bud Donnie's gf, Melissa likes to do all the cooking for the whole group. We even take a TV/inverter so we can watch the Bengals games......
Roughing it would be no TV/Inverter I guess.....
Sound s pretty much like our group minus the cook and the TV. Use to be about 15 rigs but most have went on to bigger things I guess. The what I call the core of the group is down to 5-6 rigs. Usually around time to start cooking we are working on someone's broke junk and trying to cook as well. Nothing like a little gear oil to spice up a meal.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #38

Liked 1763 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 2492

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
Roughing it would be no TV/Inverter I guess.....
Sound s pretty much like our group minus the cook and the TV. Use to be about 15 rigs but most have went on to bigger things I guess. The what I call the core of the group is down to 5-6 rigs. Usually around time to start cooking we are working on someone's broke junk and trying to cook as well. Nothing like a little gear oil to spice up a meal.
I take it from your name, and av, you guys do alot of rock crawling...Ive always thought that was cool, and like watching it on TV. Im sure you guys put more thought and $$$$ into your suspension / geometry than we do... We mostly just climb muddy hills , cruize trails/bogs, and run the river, if its not too deep.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Remember, roadkill is pre-seasoned and marinated and sometimes, pre-heated.

But seriously, when I camp, I take veggie dogs and stuff to make grilled cheese sammiches and ramen noodles and mac&cheese (just pretend the bugs are pepper) . I have had some nice mushroom sammiches when camping, but it has been many years.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
I take it from your name, and av, you guys do alot of rock crawling...Ive always thought that was cool, and like watching it on TV. Im sure you guys put more thought and $$$$ into your suspension / geometry than we do... We mostly just climb muddy hills , cruize trails/bogs, and run the river, if its not too deep.
You would be correct in your assessment. Dad gummit and I thought I was doing so well in hiding it....
Articulation and crawl ratio( gearing) is what it is all about. We do put some thought into suspension ,4 link is the only way to fly or crawl. As far as dollars it is like anything else. You can spend as much as you want and then some. Poor boys have poor ways. I do all of my work and pick up used parts when I can. I guess I have more brains than money.. Scary thought...
We use to do some mud but found we weren't able to break enough s--t...Put my ars in my jeep seat and throw me in a pile of boulders and I am as content as a kid in a candy store up to the point you here " ahhh #@$^ something just broke"!!!Do a lot of trail running but try to pick the rockiest ones possible . Honestly I can be running around on the back roads here around the house or in a pile of boulders it is all a good time to me.

Last edited by rockratt; 09-10-2013 at 04:30 PM.
rn-cindy Likes This