Camping food - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Camping food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2625 Times on 1711 Posts

Breakfast: coffee, fruit, fried eggs and bacon in cast iron over a propane or Coleman fuel stove. This gets the day started earlier: no messing with the fire half hung over.

Venison steaks usually, cooked over apple, mulberry, or cherry wood. Sliced potatoes with onions in foil, butter, seasoned salt and cracked pepper. Leftover potatoes reheated in same foil for breakfast. Veggies in foil with same potato seasonings: cauliflower, broccoli, squash and zuccini, whatever. Corn on the cob roasted over the fire until the kernels are just starting to brown: priceless. If you have never had corn like this you are missing out big time.

Feral cat waterboarder

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #22

Liked 2185 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 3213

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Breakfast: coffee, fruit, fried eggs and bacon in cast iron over a propane or Coleman fuel stove. This gets the day started earlier: no messing with the fire half hung over.

Venison steaks usually, cooked over apple, mulberry, or cherry wood. Sliced potatoes with onions in foil, butter, seasoned salt and cracked pepper. Leftover potatoes reheated in same foil for breakfast. Veggies in foil with same potato seasonings: cauliflower, broccoli, squash and zuccini, whatever. Corn on the cob roasted over the fire until the kernels are just starting to brown: priceless. If you have never had corn like this you are missing out big time.
....................MMMMMMMM.., When do we leave....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 09-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 348 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Brats, Beer, Venison steaks, Beer, Fish, Beer, Boiled Crabs, Beer.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #24

Liked 2394 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag556
Brats, Beer, Venison steaks, Beer, Fish, Beer, Boiled Crabs, Beer.
You forgot beer.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #25

Liked 37 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Ate enuff MREs, LRRPs and C-Rat when wearing the green.

depends on where and how we are camping.

Regular tent campground, where a vehicle is 30 ft away? Hello Dutch Oven and Reflector Oven! Slow cooked potroast with carrots and taters, and hot cornbread!

Hiking in on the Appalachian Trail, where all food and implements is in my backpack? Dinner may be a freeze dried entrée. Breakfast? Ah- Blueberry muffins (aluminum foil reflector oven) perked coffee. Hashbrown taters, ham steak, scrambled eggs. Scramble eggs before leaving, place in heavy plastic bottle, chill just short of freezing, roll in newspapers. will stay cool overnight. Ham steak vacuum packed in plastic- no refrigeration, no food smell when stored (animal control) Hashbrowns are real potatoes and onions, skillet sitting on 5 charcoal briquettes. Aluminum percolator that I can pack stuff inside while hiking, so does not really take up much room.

Of course, the Hobo Dinner is hard to beat. Large sheet of aluminum foil. 1/4 cup meat of choice (chicken, pork chop, ground beef patty, etc) Season it well. Place on foil. 1/4 cup thin sliced potatoes, 1/4 cup veggies (carrots are good) onions, pat of butter. Seal foil- and double wrap. You can hard freeze, wrap in newspaper, will stay cold for a day in pack. Place on coals at edge of fire, rotate at 15 minutes, 30-35 minutes total cook time.
I can't believe you said something about HOBO packs. I have been eating these things for over 40 years.The first time I made them for the wife, she didn't know what to think,,,,,,,but afterwards,,,,,,,,,, she loves them. We now have them at least once a month, sometimes more often. Super fast way to make up a full meal, and best of all, there ain't no cleanup. Way to go on that posting!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #26

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Most of this sounds like over night Urban picnics. Camping in the back country is more Spartan. This reads like a 4 Star restaurant menu.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Most of this sounds like over night Urban picnics. Camping in the back country is more Spartan. This reads like a 4 Star restaurant menu.
LOL...Yea, we have lots of trucks, to haul in lots of food and equipment/coolers packed full of good stuff to eat and drink. And tools / spare parts for the 4x4s. Not trying to prove anything, just like to get back in the boonies, and have a good time.........

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 09-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #28

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have flown over Ohio many times. Where are the deep wilderness areas near Cincinnati, Ohio? It looks very crowded from 35,000 feet.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I have flown over Ohio many times. Where are the deep wilderness areas near Cincinnati, Ohio? It looks very crowded from 35,000 feet.
East Fork area, along the little Miami River. Lots of room to play..

Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1868 Times on 815 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
LOL...Yea, we have lots of trucks, to haul in lots of food and equipment/coolers packed full of good stuff to eat and drink. And tools / spare parts for the 4x4s. Not trying to prove anything, just like to get back in the boonies, and have a good time.........
Tools and spare parts are the most important when 4x4's are involved. There's usually not much room left for eats and drinks after that!!!!!!