Camera advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Camera advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Camera advice

I am going to buy an entry level SLR camera.
Looking at:
* Nikon D3000
* Canon EOS Rebel XS
Both are under $500 and come with the same basic lenses/accessories.
I know there is some camera knowledge on this forum because I've seen the pictures posted, if I try a camera geek forum, I know I'll never understand the gibberish that they speak.
I prefer the cut and dried responses I get here, so let's hear them please

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you are looking at the Nikon D3000, I'll assume you are looking for a Digital SLR.

So...here is a good deal at Ritz Nikon D3000 DSLR Camera Two-Lens Outfit (18-55 VR & AF-S DX 55-200mm F/4-5.6G ED) - 25462-2156-9793 - RitzCamera.com

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #3

Yeah thanks Dune, They have both cameras in stock at my local Walley-World and am going to buy one tomorrow morning, don't know nothing about DSLR and am looking to get out of the point and shoot Sony I currently have

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 11-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've always been a Nikon guy, I currently have a D90. But I know that Canon makes cameras that are equal in quality. You can't go wrong with either, except that the Canon will accept more brands of non-proprietary lenses than the Nikon will. But I would give the edge to Nikon's Nikkor lenses themselves.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo323 View Post
Yeah thanks Dune, They have both cameras in stock at my local Walley-World and am going to buy one tomorrow morning, don't know nothing about DSLR and am looking to get out of the point and shoot Sony I currently have
SLR (Single Lens Reflex) means more than anything that what you see through the viewfinder is exactly what you're going to get in your photo. On non-SLR digitals, that's not the case, so it's much harder to frame the photo exactly as you want it.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #6

Oh, and also....a DSLR will afford you the flexibility of changing lenses further down the road where a non-SLR will not.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Bought the wife a Canon a while back...12MP I think. She does portraits as a side job.It's pretty much digital version of her 35mm and all the lenses are interchangeable so it seemed the best way to go. It does a real good job but to be honest I have not seen many others to compare it to.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #8

Default Canon of course

I'd go for a Canon any day of the week, pictures are better, its easier to handle. Nikon is a good camera but if you take photos in low light you'll detect more artifacts, (Artifacts are small orange and yellow freckles in the dark)
Here is the proof:
Look at any mayor sport event, everyone is shooting a cannon, see all those white zooms? Canon, is what professionals use.

Rest my case, Gato.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 11-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #9

Thanks Lon,
I hake a Nikon Monarch scope on my Savage, so I was leaning in that direction cause I love it!

-Ayn Rand

Old 11-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I say spend a little bit more and get the D5000. I have it and it is by far the best camera I have ever owned. I have a Pentax ZX-30 18-80mm lens. It takes great photos if I want to shoot film (Which I never do anymore).

I don't think Canon uses a proprietary RAW format. Nikon uses a NEF RAW format that you have to use the Nikon software for. Not a big deal in the beginning but it may come that way.

I looked at the Canon XS, XSi, T1i, Nikon D3000, d5000, d90. If I could have afforded it I would have went D90. I instead went with the D5000 which has many of the same stuff as the D90.

Any of them are going to turn out amazing pictures even in Auto mode.