Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Calling back the computer gurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 912 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Calling back the computer gurus

I didn't want to step on Annas' electronics thread. I have a Toshiba satellite L655D-S5050 that quit working just after the warranty expired. The shop said the motherboard was bad. I was playing around on ebay and found all kinds of motherboards and all kinds of prices.

I took mine apart got the motherboard out and went back to ebay. There is a number embossed on the board just below what I think is the memory card. I have found some boards with similar numbers, none that are the same. The pictures look just like mine. How do I tell which ones will work.

I readily admit that I am way over my head here, but figured that a little education might be worth time it took to take it apart. Here is a picture.

tosiba-mother-board.jpg  

Last edited by F4U; 02-23-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Couple of hundred $$$ in all likelihood. http://www.motherboardnow.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L655D-S5050-Motherboard-System-Board-Replacement-3C40P3853029

POSSIBLE it could be repaired for less. How confident are you in the diagnosis?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Confident in the guy that made the diagnosis. A new motherboard is just short of $300 from Toshiba plus installation. Wasn't worth putting that much into a $450 laptop.

I was packing up my den getting ready to move, when I found it laying where I left it last summer and got curious/adventurous.

If I can't fix it I'm not out anything but a little time, and I drank a beer or 2 while taking it apart so the time wasn't really wasted either!!

A little more ebay research makes me think the difference in the ones listed there is what processor they have. Mine is an Amd Athalon II. Most of the ones on ebay seem to be intel.

Thanks for the reply c3 the link you attached is one I hadn't found.

I can't seem to attach the ebay link to what I found

Last edited by F4U; 02-23-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Can you install a better motherboard?

Friends mom back in the day dated a retired dude from nasa when I lived in Huston. Tore apart some old desktop and installed a windows 99 motherboard and all that jazz. It worked.

Badges........?

We don't need no stinkin badges. ....

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Can you install a better motherboard?

Friends mom back in the day dated a retired dude from nasa when I lived in Huston. Tore apart some old desktop and installed a windows 99 motherboard and all that jazz. It worked.

Badges........?

We don't need no stinkin badges. ....
That is the problem, I know so little about computers that I don't know what others will work. I don't need anything special just do my banking and hangout here and a few other forums. Occasionally google something.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #6

Liked 2436 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

I go through laptops fast.

One trick I have learned is

you pay about 25 cents on the dollar

for a laptop at a pawnshop. And they will

usually throw in a case for free...

Old 02-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #7

If you were to replace the motherboard with any other model you would have to re-install your operating system. The OS on your HDD already has all the drivers loaded for the original MB. Therefore it would not boot up with another model. You would lose all your personal files. One solution would be to access your hard drive with another computer and copy your files before re-installing the operating system on the replaced (other than original MB).

Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr View Post
If you were to replace the motherboard with any other model you would have to re-install your operating system. The OS on your HDD already has all the drivers loaded for the original MB. Therefore it would not boot up with another model. You would lose all your personal files. One solution would be to access your hard drive with another computer and copy your files before re-installing the operating system on the replaced (other than original MB).
When this computer quit working I pulled the hard drive out and bought a case for it. I was planning to use it to back up the new one after loading the files from it to the new one. I haven't actually backed up anything yet though.

HDD = hard drive?? Is the operating system in the hard drive or is it somewhere else on the mother board?

If I understand you right I need to find one with the Amd Athalon II processor and has the same number next to the memory card. That number is DAOBL7MB6DO REV D the Os may be zeros, or my hard drive won't be able to wake it up.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #9

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Yeah, HDD = hard disk drive. And on most computers the OS is installed on the HDD (an exception would be recent high end machines that have a SSD, basically a flash ram drive). Putting the laptop HDD in a case, as you did, is a good way to move your data to a new computer.

Installing a motherboard in a desktop is physically easy if both are industry standard architecture and roughly the same vintage. Laptops are proprietary and may change year to year so there could be trouble just getting the board to fit much less work. I'm confident replacing motherboards in desktops but with a $450 laptop that dies a few years down the road, I'd be looking at a new one. If you want to dink around with it and motherboards aren't too expensive, go for it. But watch out, you can get too much money invested in an old machine when the newer, faster one doesn't cost much more.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah, HDD = hard disk drive. And on most computers the OS is installed on the HDD (an exception would be recent high end machines that have a SSD, basically a flash ram drive). Putting the laptop HDD in a case, as you did, is a good way to move your data to a new computer.

Installing a motherboard in a desktop is physically easy if both are industry standard architecture and roughly the same vintage. Laptops are proprietary and may change year to year so there could be trouble just getting the board to fit much less work. I'm confident replacing motherboards in desktops but with a $450 laptop that dies a few years down the road, I'd be looking at a new one. If you want to dink around with it and motherboards aren't too expensive, go for it. But watch out, you can get too much money invested in an old machine when the newer, faster one doesn't cost much more.
I have replaced it with a hp I just thought I could educate myself a little bit and maybe get it working for my daughter to use. You are right at the price of the lower end ones it doesn't pay to put much money in it, which is why it was sitting in the den for 2 years.

The motherboard is out and I am pretty confident I could install a new one exactly like the old one, but making the wrong one fit or work is totally beyond my abilities. Thanks for the reply.