Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Calling back the computer gurus (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/calling-back-computer-gurus-104349/)

F4U 02-23-2014 03:53 PM

Calling back the computer gurus
 
1 Attachment(s)
I didn't want to step on Annas' electronics thread. I have a Toshiba satellite L655D-S5050 that quit working just after the warranty expired. The shop said the motherboard was bad. I was playing around on ebay and found all kinds of motherboards and all kinds of prices.

I took mine apart got the motherboard out and went back to ebay. There is a number embossed on the board just below what I think is the memory card. I have found some boards with similar numbers, none that are the same. The pictures look just like mine. How do I tell which ones will work.

I readily admit that I am way over my head here, but figured that a little education might be worth time it took to take it apart. Here is a picture.

c3shooter 02-23-2014 05:07 PM

Couple of hundred $$$ in all likelihood. http://www.motherboardnow.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L655D-S5050-Motherboard-System-Board-Replacement-3C40P3853029

POSSIBLE it could be repaired for less. How confident are you in the diagnosis?

F4U 02-23-2014 05:33 PM

Confident in the guy that made the diagnosis. A new motherboard is just short of $300 from Toshiba plus installation. Wasn't worth putting that much into a $450 laptop.

I was packing up my den getting ready to move, when I found it laying where I left it last summer and got curious/adventurous.

If I can't fix it I'm not out anything but a little time, and I drank a beer or 2 while taking it apart so the time wasn't really wasted either!! :D

A little more ebay research makes me think the difference in the ones listed there is what processor they have. Mine is an Amd Athalon II. Most of the ones on ebay seem to be intel.

Thanks for the reply c3 the link you attached is one I hadn't found.

I can't seem to attach the ebay link to what I found

kytowboater 02-23-2014 05:35 PM

Can you install a better motherboard?

Friends mom back in the day dated a retired dude from nasa when I lived in Huston. Tore apart some old desktop and installed a windows 99 motherboard and all that jazz. It worked.


Badges........?

We don't need no stinkin badges. ....

F4U 02-23-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1513926)
Can you install a better motherboard?

Friends mom back in the day dated a retired dude from nasa when I lived in Huston. Tore apart some old desktop and installed a windows 99 motherboard and all that jazz. It worked.


Badges........?

We don't need no stinkin badges. ....

That is the problem, I know so little about computers that I don't know what others will work. I don't need anything special just do my banking and hangout here and a few other forums. Occasionally google something.

therewolf 02-23-2014 05:45 PM

I go through laptops fast.

One trick I have learned is

you pay about 25 cents on the dollar

for a laptop at a pawnshop. And they will

usually throw in a case for free...

Slayr 02-23-2014 06:18 PM

If you were to replace the motherboard with any other model you would have to re-install your operating system. The OS on your HDD already has all the drivers loaded for the original MB. Therefore it would not boot up with another model. You would lose all your personal files. One solution would be to access your hard drive with another computer and copy your files before re-installing the operating system on the replaced (other than original MB).

F4U 02-23-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayr (Post 1513963)
If you were to replace the motherboard with any other model you would have to re-install your operating system. The OS on your HDD already has all the drivers loaded for the original MB. Therefore it would not boot up with another model. You would lose all your personal files. One solution would be to access your hard drive with another computer and copy your files before re-installing the operating system on the replaced (other than original MB).

When this computer quit working I pulled the hard drive out and bought a case for it. I was planning to use it to back up the new one after loading the files from it to the new one. I haven't actually backed up anything yet though.

HDD = hard drive?? Is the operating system in the hard drive or is it somewhere else on the mother board?

If I understand you right I need to find one with the Amd Athalon II processor and has the same number next to the memory card. That number is DAOBL7MB6DO REV D the Os may be zeros, or my hard drive won't be able to wake it up.

Quentin 02-23-2014 09:57 PM

Yeah, HDD = hard disk drive. And on most computers the OS is installed on the HDD (an exception would be recent high end machines that have a SSD, basically a flash ram drive). Putting the laptop HDD in a case, as you did, is a good way to move your data to a new computer.

Installing a motherboard in a desktop is physically easy if both are industry standard architecture and roughly the same vintage. Laptops are proprietary and may change year to year so there could be trouble just getting the board to fit much less work. I'm confident replacing motherboards in desktops but with a $450 laptop that dies a few years down the road, I'd be looking at a new one. If you want to dink around with it and motherboards aren't too expensive, go for it. But watch out, you can get too much money invested in an old machine when the newer, faster one doesn't cost much more.

F4U 02-23-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1514248)
Yeah, HDD = hard disk drive. And on most computers the OS is installed on the HDD (an exception would be recent high end machines that have a SSD, basically a flash ram drive). Putting the laptop HDD in a case, as you did, is a good way to move your data to a new computer.

Installing a motherboard in a desktop is physically easy if both are industry standard architecture and roughly the same vintage. Laptops are proprietary and may change year to year so there could be trouble just getting the board to fit much less work. I'm confident replacing motherboards in desktops but with a $450 laptop that dies a few years down the road, I'd be looking at a new one. If you want to dink around with it and motherboards aren't too expensive, go for it. But watch out, you can get too much money invested in an old machine when the newer, faster one doesn't cost much more.

I have replaced it with a hp I just thought I could educate myself a little bit and maybe get it working for my daughter to use. You are right at the price of the lower end ones it doesn't pay to put much money in it, which is why it was sitting in the den for 2 years.

The motherboard is out and I am pretty confident I could install a new one exactly like the old one, but making the wrong one fit or work is totally beyond my abilities. Thanks for the reply.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.