Calling all LEO's - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Calling all LEO's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As others have said first contact as many departments as you can and find out what their requirements are. Next talk to officers in those departments and get their take on what their jobs are really all about. Remember being on the street is nothing like what you see on TV. Hours upon hours of mind numbing routine and dealing with a-holes who are best described as walking adds for birth control followed by a few moments of something you might find exciting or, as someone else has already said, sheer terror.

All jurisdictions are made up by the same kind of people you already have in your life so at times you might have to work with someone you can’t stand or have a superior who got their job by kissing ass rather than deserving it by their smarts and performance on the job. I know that fifty years have passed since I entered the academy but I can see that the job is still basically the same only quite a bit more complicated and technical.

Education is a big asset in doing the job. I have served with quite a few officers who went to law school nights and became damn good attorneys. I myself worked my ass off and got a PhD in Psychology during the 25 years I was in law enforcement. I guess I kissed the right ass and ended up being a consultant to the Justice Department.

Just the musings of an old man who has been there and done that.

Last edited by Walley; 12-03-2009 at 02:07 AM. Reason: another thought

Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I really appreciate all the info folks. And i just wanted to clarify that i am not interested in the job to be a billy bad ass that kicks everyone's ass and play wild wild west. I am genuinely looking at this like a real career with ups and downs and perks and drawbacks etc. I am planning to go down to a few different jurisdictions and talk to each respective pd at the beginning of next week. Hopefully sometime in the near future ill be in a patrol car doing my best to save lives. Thx again.

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"