Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Calling All Geeks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the responses, folks. Just as soon as I send a hundred rounds downrange, I'm heading to the exchange to go shopping. Couldn't take any guns to the People's Republic of New York, so I need to go make some confetti!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

With the intent of slaving the old HD to the new, I bought another Pavilion (Quad core) running Windows 7. Prollum is, neither drive will accept the role of "slave", so I'll need to have the old drive burnt to disk without the OS and load up the files. This frigging desk is beginning to look like a computer junkyard........

Old 01-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

What kind of a HDD is it. You can always just get a external drive case and put it in there then you can get your files. Once you get them off you just reformat it and you have an external drive to back up your computer too.

Search Results for SATA external drive case at TigerDirect.com

Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What kind of a HDD is it. You can always just get a external drive case and put it in there then you can get your files. Once you get them off you just reformat it and you have an external drive to back up your computer too.

Search Results for SATA external drive case at TigerDirect.com
Thanks Brah! Other prollem is, everything is in parallel, hence the conflict. I'm having the data burnt without the OS so that I can just thumb-drive it onto the new CPU. Hell, I should be in business before Independence Day.......

Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1691 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 3455

You can go to tigerdirect, newegg, and mwave and purchase a case to handle a parallel ribbon and/or sata internal harddrive, case can be either 2.5 or 3.5 size.

To recover data from a drive I used "Bad Copy Pro" to recover some fils from usb drive and flash drive from my camera.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
With the intent of slaving the old HD to the new, I bought another Pavilion (Quad core) running Windows 7. Prollum is, neither drive will accept the role of "slave", so I'll need to have the old drive burnt to disk without the OS and load up the files. This frigging desk is beginning to look like a computer junkyard........
You need to set the jumpers. Look for a short row of contacts with little square jumpers on them. The jumpers have to be in the proper position to "slave" a drive.

They'll be labeled, but likely confusing. I don't know what kind of drive you have, but here are the jumper settings for a few popular ones:

Western Digital

Seagate (now also Maxtore). Click on "Installation" and choose "jumper setting illustrations".

Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

WTF ?????? Y'all speak english
!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #18

Some of the terms used, I never heard before. I take it you are calling IDE cables a parallel ribbon?
I don’t know anything about SATA drives, but I have not seen any HD that could not be set to slave.
The HDD drives have jumper settings for stand alone, master, slave, and cable select. The jumpers have to be set correct or it’s not going to work.
I agree the easy way to do it is get a external drive case

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I have been building and repairing computers for about 20 years now. As well as programming. This is what I have learned. There are brands to stay away from. Dell, E-Machine, there are those that are mid line Compaq, HP Gateway etc. For a really excellent computer you need to step up to Toshiba or Sony. I would suggest checking out tigerdiret.com I have used them for years and never had an issue with them. As far as Win7 whatever every new OS has about 2 years before it is at its full potential. I am still using 2000 sever on my home server, with Vista on the laptops and XP on the desk top. All have their advantages and disadvantages. The only real reason they change OS is to keep the bottom line of the corp. Hope this helps.