Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Cabelas seems to suck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Big TOW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4542 Times on 2280 Posts
Likes Given: 4663

Default Cabelas seems to suck

A buddy of mine ordered a new 1911 a few weeks ago from Cabelas online. He uses them in the past and had pretty good luck with them. This time he got the royal runarround and they acted more like a novelty clearing house than a Retailer of guns.

First they took his money then they lost his order. After his local FFL failed to get confirmation of the transaction he called again and Cabelas swore they never got the FFL's cert. His FFL sent it again, now on week 2 and my friend again heard nothing. He called back last monday (start of week 3) and they swore they never got the FFL's Certificate, Again. Tuesday, they finally found the Certificate and apologetically offered to next day ship it to his FFL.

Yesterday, he was tracking the shipment and realized Cabelas had put the wrong address on it! He called and Cabelas tracked it and said it was denied because their wasnt an adult over 21 at the address they shipped it to! Cabelas suggested he could go down to the Fed Ex shipping center and pick it up instead! He told the rep, I cant pick up a firearm at a shipping center, I dont have the FFL and its not addressed correctly anyways! Then Cabelas let a cat out of the bag, it wasnt declared to the shipper that it was a weapon! Somehow they convinced Fed Ex to change the address and try a dropoff again (Both against Fed Ex policy)! He got a call in the afternoon from his FFL saying it finally arrived!

Holy crapco! How the hell can that happen, especially since it was shipped to NY! Funny how the US gov is so worried about the Citizens and small Gun store owners when they really need to worry more about those that sell by the boatload.

Because hes in NY, he now has to take the paperwork down to the County Clerk and have it added before he can actually take the piece home he paid for over 3 weeks ago...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
A buddy of mine ordered a new 1911 a few weeks ago from Cabelas online. He uses them in the past and had pretty good luck with them. This time he got the royal runarround and they acted more like a novelty clearing house than a Retailer of guns.

First they took his money then they lost his order. After his local FFL failed to get confirmation of the transaction he called again and Cabelas swore they never got the FFL's cert. His FFL sent it again, now on week 2 and my friend again heard nothing. He called back last monday (start of week 3) and they swore they never got the FFL's Certificate, Again. Tuesday, they finally found the Certificate and apologetically offered to next day ship it to his FFL.

Yesterday, he was tracking the shipment and realized Cabelas had put the wrong address on it! He called and Cabelas tracked it and said it was denied because their wasnt an adult over 21 at the address they shipped it to! Cabelas suggested he could go down to the Fed Ex shipping center and pick it up instead! He told the rep, I cant pick up a firearm at a shipping center, I dont have the FFL and its not addressed correctly anyways! Then Cabelas let a cat out of the bag, it wasnt declared to the shipper that it was a weapon! Somehow they convinced Fed Ex to change the address and try a dropoff again (Both against Fed Ex policy)! He got a call in the afternoon from his FFL saying it finally arrived!

Holy crapco! How the hell can that happen, especially since it was shipped to NY! Funny how the US gov is so worried about the Citizens and small Gun store owners when they really need to worry more about those that sell by the boatload.

Because hes in NY, he now has to take the paperwork down to the County Clerk and have it added before he can actually take the piece home he paid for over 3 weeks ago...
"Seems to"?!?!

I washed my hands of those idiots a LONG time ago...Cabelas, Gander Mountain and @$$ pro shops have been on my boycott list for quite a few years. I can find all my sporting goods needs elsewhere for much better $$$.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Big TOW

They lure you in with the Cabela Bucks for using their card and it is tempting but this kind of service with sensitive items as these is ludicrous.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #4

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
They lure you in with the Cabela Bucks for using their card and it is tempting but this kind of service with sensitive items as these is ludicrous.
Although I hate cabela's I don't declare to the shipper, that I'm shipping a firearm either. There's nothing worse than a shipping employee knowing what they have in their hands (it's not required by FedEx to let them know it's a firearm either) as long as long guns are shipped ground and handguns 2 day and both with adult signatures you meet the requirements.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 12-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

That's how retail shopping is. You have 200 employees that don't have any idea what the other 199 are doing. The only time I have ever bought a weapon online, it was from a firearms dealer. That process went fairly well and I was satisfied with the outcome.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 326

I will never buy any forearms from Cabelas period! Their prices are higher than I can get locally. Just doesnt make sense.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Big TOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Although I hate cabela's I don't declare to the shipper, that I'm shipping a firearm either. There's nothing worse than a shipping employee knowing what they have in their hands (it's not required by FedEx to let them know it's a firearm either) as long as long guns are shipped ground and handguns 2 day and both with adult signatures you meet the requirements.
Unfortunately, they shipped it next day with no declaration and to the wrong address! Imagine the surprise if an adult had just signed for it instead of an FFL? 1911 gone...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I don't like them because they buy large tracks of land and block pk public access to public hunting lands.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #9

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post
I will never buy any forearms from Cabelas period! Their prices are higher than I can get locally. Just doesnt make sense.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #10

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Unfortunately, they shipped it next day with no declaration and to the wrong address! Imagine the surprise if an adult had just signed for it instead of an FFL? 1911 gone...
Well the wrong address to a non FFL is a whole other story

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This