C3's Gun quiz - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > C3's Gun quiz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
When did the US military issue a 50 cal pistol?????

I was kind of wondering that myself, but as it was not the first question I missed, I was going to let it slide........

What we need is some sort of gun quiz that is truly FOOL PROOF. No using Google, no using BING, no consorting with your friends who are in the no....

*rubbing chin*

I sense an epic new test on the horizon.... 10 questions. Bah! This will seperate those in the know and those with a fast left click finger....

JD

Old 09-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Come on JD I know you can make it right

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Come on JD I know you can make it right
I'm working on it, but I have some feelers out to some people I know who can make software "available" and I have not heard back yet....

I have a plan for a truly, TRULY epic firearms test that will be heavy on long range shooters, heavy on the works of John Browning and heavy on "other stuff"

Standby WDB, I have a PM coming your way PRIOR to the new test coming on line....

JD

Old 09-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

HA HA HAHAH I beat dillinger.

I have conflicting years for the 357 mag I have some stuff that says 34 and others that say 35.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8948 Times on 3874 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

WDB- see PM for your answer

If you gents like, will let this run until tommorrow PM, and will post answers and provenance of answers here.

29 takers so far, several 90s, one 100. And no, not an easy quiz.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's the 1 I didn't know but figured it was some obscure round like that so I just chose the biggest. I suspect it was very limited & back in Calvary days. Am I right?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Guesswork rules once again lol

Sometimes sheer guessing is better than thinking you know & getting hung up on 2 possible answers which are similar. Like for the last ? I just thought "Hmm, US military? gotta be the most badass surely"

and so it was

Old 09-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8948 Times on 3874 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Awright, I'll post the answers. Just please don't beat me no mo!

1. The 45-70 was designated by caliber (45) and the charge of black powder in grains (70) OTHER rounds may use length of case, or year of introduction.

2. .357 Magnum was first brought out in 1935. Unveiled in late 34, but on the market in 35. ONE of George Patton's ivory gripped revolvers was a .357 Magnum.

3. The Pedersen Device was a WW I invention that replaced the bolt on the 03 Springfield 30-06 rifle, and permitted SEMI AUTO fire of a small .30 cal pistol type cartridge from the rifle. EXTREMELY scarce to find one- they are worth a new F-150 pickup!

4. The M-3 carbine was a modified M-2 (full auto) with an infrared night scope, and a BIG battery pack. While you don't think of a .30 carbine as being a sniper rifle, when you can see in the dark, and the other guy can't- it is a sniper rifle. Used in the Pacific campaign in late WW II.

5. The letter R at the end of a cartridge designation indicates a RIMMED case, like 30-30, or the cartridge for the Moisin-Nagant rifle. 30-06, .308 etc are rimless.

6. Taking it's name from the small boat that mounted it, a Punt Gun was 2-6 gauge, fired a pound or so of shot, was used by market hunters to shoot an entire flock of ducks with one shot (and sometimes, sink small boats from recoil)

7. Yes, Virginia, there WAS a real rocket pistol- the MBA Gyrojet. Lack of accuracy and extreme ammo cost were it's downfall.

8. One of the earliest self contained cartridges was the pinfire- each round had it's own firing pin- the gun had none. Expensive to make, awkward to load, and falling down wearing a bandoleer of pinfire shotshells would make you really popular with your hunting companions.

9. SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institution) actually lists very few OFFICIAL +P loads- However, ALL .38 Super ammo is considered "+P"- since it is identical in dimensions to the earlier (weaker) .38 Auto.

10. While I love my .45, it was not the biggest. Before the cartridge revolver was the Remington Rolling Block pistol, an Army and a Navy version, in caliber .50 Remington. Dates from about 1870, not popular, due to slow rate of fire- but would make a DANDY club!

Thank all of you that tried your hand- if you like, will put together another quiz for next week- Now let me see- what WAS the bullet weight for the .307 Schneelock Triangular Revolver cartridge......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.