Is Buying Online "Worth" It? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Is Buying Online "Worth" It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

If I were to buy another Remington 700 VLS in 243. Here is the prices (REAL prices)

Gander: $949.99 Plus Tax at .05 = $997.50

Buds: $775.00 shipped for free to my one local range that charges $25 for the transfer fee. so that is a total of $800 out the door. That is a savings of $197.50

Sounds like your numbers need a little work.

My next buy is going to be an xd 40.

Buds: $443.oo +$25 transfer fee. = $468.00 out the door.

Gander: $599.00 plus tax = $628.95

So by buying at Buds and having it shipped to the local gun range I save $161. I don't know about you but I just saved enough on 2 buys to support a third buy of a new Browning Buck Mark 22lr. Browning 051-410490 BKMK 22 MIC MS STDSSURX $330.00 SHIPS FREE

I dunno about you but I think it is well worth it to buy on line.

I did buy my AR-15 on line for $975 and a $75 transfer fee. for $1050.00

If I had went to gander I would have ended up with a Remington R-15 for $1799 + tax = $1888.95 for a savings of $838.95 I must say I then purchased a Nikon 6-24x50mm Monarch for $550 and Rings for another $50. I still saved $238.95 on an entire gun with a scope and rings for the price of JUST the gun at The local store.

Next time Try using real world prices and real world shipping and tax. It might work out better.

Last edited by cpttango30; 03-31-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

If you have researched and handled the firearm your interested in, better yet, fired it as well, if it's what you want, then buying online is worth it if the shipping, tax and transfer fee does not price it out over what you can get it locally.

The guys here have given you some great intel as to the savings involved if you do your research and buy online, and there are several online retailers that will carry you on various lay-a-way plans as well.

I live in Oklahoma. The local gun shops here have all the business they want, so if I can't get a smoking deal from them, they get my transfer fee money, which my local gun shop has no problems with at all. "C'est la vie."...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I probably get 75% of the stuff I own from private party trades and buys - which is the way to go if you know what you're looking for...

Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #14

Liked 460 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 174

It was assumed that availability was fair in both places. OBVIOUSLY if you can't get it locally, online is the place to go. I thought that went without saying. As for realistic prices, these are close enough to realistic prices to get my point across, which was: as the price of the item increases, the more and more money you would save by buying online. It's a no brainer if you can find it $200 cheaper online that you buy it there. I could not possibly accommodate all of the possible scenarios with different price, price range, tax, shipping, and FFL costs. I just don;t like you all THAT much

Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #15

I know a lot of people who do and they seem happy, I just never tried it. On new weapons I've used the same dealer for 40 years. If he doesn't have one, I just tell him what I want, where he gets it I don't know, but he always gives me the best price I can find anywhere.

AR stripped lowers I pick-up at the local gunshow from my Superior Arms dealer. Any custom work I have done locally too.

On used, surplus weapons or even new AKs I need to see them, inspect and fondle them a little before I dig out the cash.

One thing I do buy online is Ammo. Surplus ammo in particular! Places like Century have Free S&H on orders of $501.00 or over. Others like Aim have free shipping every now & again, mostly around christmas. Some like Ammoman figure it into the price and give "free" s&h all the time. I am always on the look-out for some real good ammo deals!

Gun parts are another thing I buy a ton of online. Its just so darn easy!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A good portion of my collection was purchased on line. Generally speaking, the prices charged by gun shops in the SSR of Maryland for firearms are absurd.
Even with the high price that is charged for the transfer, in most cases, it is cheaper to buy online.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
It was assumed that availability was fair in both places. OBVIOUSLY if you can't get it locally, online is the place to go. I thought that went without saying. As for realistic prices, these are close enough to realistic prices to get my point across, which was: as the price of the item increases, the more and more money you would save by buying online. It's a no brainer if you can find it $200 cheaper online that you buy it there. I could not possibly accommodate all of the possible scenarios with different price, price range, tax, shipping, and FFL costs. I just don;t like you all THAT much
You didn't do anything. You use fake prices that fit what you wanted to say "BUY LOCAL". You don't even put out the guns names just a 22 cal pistol.

I really do understand the buy local first but, like I said mine are all way over priced.

I proved you wrong on every account really. You used the exact same price point for all of them $30 cheaper on line. Not all guns are going to be $30 cheaper on line vs in the LGS.

I just fail to see where you did any kind of research other than shipping and tax.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #18

Liked 460 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Ok I get what you're saying. But I wanted it to be as simple and general as possible of a representation of the savings that you can see when buying at different price ranges. There is supposed to be a consistent price difference to show the difference in gains at the greater price ranges. If you wanna start on "holes on the findings" then you only represented one of the many many places that firearms are available, AND you used a reputably high priced store as a comparison which will easily throw off your usual savings and differences. OBVIOUSLY it could have been more in depth, but I didn't go there for a reason. So please, no need to be a negative nancy about it.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Cracking a beer and throwing some popcorn in the microwave...

Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #20

I used that store because that is the closest gun store where i have purchased guns before. What you save is going to be determined by the store you have in your area correct. I used buds because it is a major online retailer and more than a few members here have used it. I could have used gun broker. You can't use a set savings as the differ for each gun. I have a store about 35 miles from me that only sells glock handguns. You can get a brand new g19 there for $365 the last time I looked. Transfer fees are different the place I got me AR sent to charged me $75. And was an hour and a half away. I messed up and didn't send it to the range 10 minutes from my house.

By simplifying it you didn't give an accurate account of prices.