buying a gun in another state?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > buying a gun in another state?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dcp1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 189
Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Default buying a gun in another state?

soo im wanting a mateba revolver.
the only company that gets them is in florida.
my dad and i are talking about going to florida on a fishing trip and i wanted to stop by the store and buy the gun.
but i live in N.C. and my concealed carry license reflects that.
is their a problem with this?
would i be better to go through an ffl?
i can order it but if im gonna be there anyways it would be very nice to buy it in person.
thanks for your help

__________________

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

dcp1987 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp1987 View Post
soo im wanting a mateba revolver.
the only company that gets them is in florida.
my dad and i are talking about going to florida on a fishing trip and i wanted to stop by the store and buy the gun.
but i live in N.C. and my concealed carry license reflects that.
is their a problem with this?
would i be better to go through an ffl?
i can order it but if im gonna be there anyways it would be very nice to buy it in person.
thanks for your help
What's the company name?
Where are they located?
I'll check into it, I'm down here and am also interested in a Mateba.
cane
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dcp1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 189
Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
What's the company name?
Where are they located?
I'll check into it, I'm down here and am also interested in a Mateba.
cane
Jim Glidden, Pres.
JBG Corp. of Central Florida
55406 Hugh Drive
Astor, Florida 32102
Shop 352-759-2311 Cell 386-747-1572

but the company the distributes them is american western arms
AWA ~ American Western Arms ~ Lightning Rifle

i e-mailed awaguns but they informed me that the jim glidden guy gets all the matebas. i've emailed him and he doesn't have any in stock right now and you have to put 400 down to reserve one. i've emailed him a bunch of questions but he always ignores a few of them
__________________

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

dcp1987 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,156
Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Default

In the words of Tom Hanks- "Houston....we have a problem..."

Do not want to be bearer of bad tidings, but you cannot purchase a handgun (legally) in any state except your state of residence(s) {military personnel may have more than one residence}

HOWEVER- you CAN buy the gun- and have it shipped to an 01 FFL (Dealer) in your home state. You will then go to that dealer, do the usual paperwork, and take receipt of the gun same as if you bought it there. Check over on auctionarms.com, use the "Find an FFL" feature. Those are dealers that have indicated they are willing (for a fee) to act as a transfer FFL. Fees vary from about $10 to $100, depending on dealer.

__________________
c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dcp1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 189
Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
In the words of Tom Hanks- "Houston....we have a problem..."

Do not want to be bearer of bad tidings, but you cannot purchase a handgun (legally) in any state except your state of residence(s) {military personnel may have more than one residence}

HOWEVER- you CAN buy the gun- and have it shipped to an 01 FFL (Dealer) in your home state. You will then go to that dealer, do the usual paperwork, and take receipt of the gun same as if you bought it there. Check over on auctionarms.com, use the "Find an FFL" feature. Those are dealers that have indicated they are willing (for a fee) to act as a transfer FFL. Fees vary from about $10 to $100, depending on dealer.
thanks for your help
I have an ffl i guess ill have to use them they charge 25 bucks
thanks for your help
i've never ordered or bought anything out of state soo i was unsure
but now i know how to approach this
thanks
__________________

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

dcp1987 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 220
Default

Interstate transfer fee for FFL runs about $25. It's the option of the dealers to decide what they charge, but the going rate is about $25 -- and that covers the transfer for BOTH dealers.

You arrange with the seller to have the gun transferred to an FFL in your resident state, and then you purchase from the FFL in your state when the gun arrives.

Most FFL's will arrange a purchase / transfer from another dealer or state -- save you the travel expense. You find the dealer with the item you want to purchase, have your state FFL arrange the transfer and buy it from your state FFL when the item arrives.

Most of the time the FFL wants payment full before ordering.

$25 . . . Shop around.

__________________
SlamFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dcp1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 189
Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamFire View Post
Interstate transfer fee for FFL runs about $25. It's the option of the dealers to decide what they charge, but the going rate is about $25 -- and that covers the transfer for BOTH dealers.

You arrange with the seller to have the gun transferred to an FFL in your resident state, and then you purchase from the FFL in your state when the gun arrives.

Most FFL's will arrange a purchase / transfer from another dealer or state -- save you the travel expense. You find the dealer with the item you want to purchase, have your state FFL arrange the transfer and buy it from your state FFL when the item arrives.

Most of the time the FFL wants payment full before ordering.

$25 . . . Shop around.
yeah i think ill go to my range/shop they have always done me right soo i trust them. ill talk to them next time i go shooting and get this all set up
hopefully it will be as easy as possible.

another question
to reserve one of these guns i have to put 400 down
do i need to do this through an ffl as well?
__________________

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

dcp1987 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp1987 View Post
yeah i think ill go to my range/shop they have always done me right soo i trust them. ill talk to them next time i go shooting and get this all set up
hopefully it will be as easy as possible.

another question
to reserve one of these guns i have to put 400 down
do i need to do this through an ffl as well?
The transfer agent (FFL) doesn't want, and shouldn't handle anything but the paperwork and the fee for that transfer.

You will deal with the seller and will send him the total sale price and address and FFL # where you want the gun shipped.

I checked with Jim Glidden and he has no hand guns in stock.
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dcp1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 189
Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The transfer agent (FFL) doesn't want, and shouldn't handle anything but the paperwork and the fee for that transfer.

You will deal with the seller and will send him the total sale price and address and FFL # where you want the gun shipped.

I checked with Jim Glidden and he has no hand guns in stock.
yeah last time i checked with jim glidden he said he was getting another shipment sometime in june and to hold one would cost 400 down.
thanks for your help
__________________

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

dcp1987 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a gun outside state of residence? NewdRiver Politics, Religion and Controversy 1 01-22-2009 11:46 PM
NRA, GOA, State by State 2008 Kelly J Politics, Religion and Controversy 0 10-13-2008 06:39 PM
State to State Laws michaelo Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 17 07-01-2007 03:52 AM