Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The buying craze where you are.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Camden, Ohio and Richmond Indiana
Posts: 119
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I went to a show today in Fort Wayne and the price were crazy on some things like a guy selling burnt/rusted out AK and AR parts with big price tags including a melted colt AR 15 for $400 but also mags from some vendors were very reasonable.

__________________
ResidentialPyro is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #142
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,718
Liked 8049 Times on 4644 Posts
Likes Given: 10388

Default

Hmmm. I might hit up a buddy of mine who is a vendor to get in to the Cow Palace next month. Circumvent the lines, get in for free, plus my buddy can go browsing which he rarely gets to do. Win win!

__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #143
Kai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 41
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

My local mom/pop shop, Herb Philipsons, Gander Mtn and Dicks have nothing in stock and are all stating they have no idea when they will get any AR's.
They have even sold old and odd ball stuff that have sat on their shelves for a while.

Like any business, these stores buy according to what they usually sell for particular types of guns. Manufacturers also set up their manufacturing cycles based on similar purchasing periods by their customers...stores, etc...
If there is a run on some item...it could be any item...it will take typical time for the store to replenish what was sold because they did not plan on the run but on typical sales for a period of time based on past sales.

So we will see some stock come in as it is made and shipped to shops that have typical orders in. Perhaps some manufacturers will be able to step up production but not much...they have set run times and no one can add another shift, etc. easily. It takes time to train a new crew and I'd suspect even more time for items such as guns and ammo.

Our local stores are also low on ammo. I like to shoot Winchester 22LR 333 bulk box ammo and our local Ganders and Herb Philipsons are out...wow.

I'm a bit more concerned about the manufacturers and stores increasing their prices due to the current hysteria...that would suck and I think hurt the stores in the end.

__________________
Kai is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #144
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
silverado113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern,Iowa
Posts: 2,993
Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
My local mom/pop shop, Herb Philipsons, Gander Mtn and Dicks have nothing in stock and are all stating they have no idea when they will get any AR's.
They have even sold old and odd ball stuff that have sat on their shelves for a while.

Like any business, these stores buy according to what they usually sell for particular types of guns. Manufacturers also set up their manufacturing cycles based on similar purchasing periods by their customers...stores, etc...
If there is a run on some item...it could be any item...it will take typical time for the store to replenish what was sold because they did not plan on the run but on typical sales for a period of time based on past sales.

So we will see some stock come in as it is made and shipped to shops that have typical orders in. Perhaps some manufacturers will be able to step up production but not much...they have set run times and no one can add another shift, etc. easily. It takes time to train a new crew and I'd suspect even more time for items such as guns and ammo.

Our local stores are also low on ammo. I like to shoot Winchester 22LR 333 bulk box ammo and our local Ganders and Herb Philipsons are out...wow.

I'm a bit more concerned about the manufacturers and stores increasing their prices due to the current hysteria...that would suck and I think hurt the stores in the end.
I have four orders in for RRA with a maybe 1 year wait on complete rifles and stripped lowers. One is a .458 so it may be over a year and stores are going to at least be at MSRP as a minimum.
__________________

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.


Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

silverado113 is offline  
kytowboater Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #145
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Just got back from Walmart. They still had 2 ARs in the rack, but the ammo shelves were pretty bare. The lady there said that when they get a shipment of ammo in, they put it out around 7:00 AM. She said they are usually sold out again by 9:00 AM.

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #146
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,895
Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Default

Stopped by two of my LGS's yesterday...about 10 customers in each with BG check times running 1.5 hrs...

Tack

__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #147
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PC167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Des Moines,Iowa
Posts: 1,043
Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Just got back from Walmart. They still had 2 ARs in the rack, but the ammo shelves were pretty bare. The lady there said that when they get a shipment of ammo in, they put it out around 7:00 AM. She said they are usually sold out again by 9:00 AM.
I guess reloading your own ammo is getting pricey.
__________________

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PC167 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #148
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

In Kansas just about everything is scarce or prices jacked way up

__________________
mikeymike is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #149
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,718
Liked 8049 Times on 4644 Posts
Likes Given: 10388

Default

Went in to a new sporting goods store in town (lot of controversy over it opening here- there hasn't been a gun store in this town for 40 years- but there are dozens of bars!), Templar Sports. Nice place, great security (steel roll-downs on all windows and doors) and a decent inventory for a new store. There are a bunch of uppers on the wall, one complete lower (did not check prices on any of them) and some ammo in stock- some .223/5.56 still there.

The thing that got my attention is that they have some unfinished Templar Sports stripped lowers (they still need to be anodized) and they are listed at $425.00!!!! For an unfinished lower! Holy crap man! Then in talking to the owner he was sort of trying to get me interested in one (like Hell!) saying how the writing is on the wall and once Feinstein's bill is introduced the prices will never go down again and on and on. Nice guy, but I made it clear I was not shopping for any of the "panic" stuff- and I wouldn't be anytime soon at those prices.

I will be going in in the future to get a better feel for the place (and I will be supporting them in the upcoming Town Council meetings) but so far I was not favorably impressed by that one issue.

What do you all figure a stripped unfinished lower should be selling for right now, and how about what would one reasonably have gone for a month ago?

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #150
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,371
Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
What do you all figure a stripped unfinished lower should be selling for right now, and how about what would one reasonably have gone for a month ago?
Pretty sure I saw them for sale on CNC all of about a week ago in the $60-80range.
__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Why the Craze? Georgiahunter Curio & Relic Discussion 21 04-07-2012 04:24 PM
The .380 Craze UnderFire Semi-Auto Handguns 190 01-04-2012 06:19 PM
Buying in CT and MA easterner123 AK & SKS Discussion 5 03-05-2011 02:19 AM
Buying first .22! gregs887 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 11 05-26-2009 01:56 AM
o/u buying help? janikphoto General Shotgun Discussion 9 12-26-2008 07:21 AM



Newest Threads