buying - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

ok...an updated update

i heard back from the seller and he said just to do a USPS certified money order and get a copy of my local FFL and send a copy to him...all i need to do is see if my FFL will accept the firearm from a private seller, so that's the first thing i'm doing tomorrow is calling my FFL and talking to them, then getting a certified money order and as much paper trail as i can possibily get my hands on better safe then sorry right?

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #32

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
ok...an updated update

i heard back from the seller and he said just to do a USPS certified money order and get a copy of my local FFL and send a copy to him...all i need to do is see if my FFL will accept the firearm from a private seller, so that's the first thing i'm doing tomorrow is calling my FFL and talking to them, then getting a certified money order and as much paper trail as i can possibily get my hands on better safe then sorry right?
First, JD is correct. Misleading on the side of caution.

Ok, the guy would be willing to drive 5 hrs to do an illegal face to face. Once the FFL is brought up, he wants to ship after he gets paid....

Food for thought. Personally I want to know that if I ever need to use any firearm in defense of my family or myself from harm, all my firearms are on the up and up. The last thing anyone needs is to have a firearm that is stolen, ill-gotten or have bodies. Beware of the desire overriding common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #33

well the face to face was my idea (before i knew it was illegal) and i'm not saying he did know it was illegal because i don't know for fact if he knew weither or not it was or wasn't but when i told him i found out it was illegal he said ok and said he'd ship it to the FFL of my choice....do you guys think it's a scam? or that it might be a bad/hot firearm?

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #34

*Gibbs Slap*

Do what you want. Why would the seller be happier with driving 5 hours there and 5 hours back if there was no FFL involved? He'll send it once he gets the money order now the FFL is involved. Call him and ask him to ship from his FFL to your FFL. You pay the transfer fee and shipping, but he pays his FFL's fee to ship and fax info.

You will send the money order once your FFL receives the gun.

Second *Gibbs Slap*

Quote:

Last edited by skullcrusher; 04-01-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added the "you will send...' stuff

Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #35

honestly i don't know why he'd be happy...i did offer to pay an extra $50 for a face to face sale (i dunno why i just wasn't thinking straight...and thanks for the Gibbs Slap Skull...i needed that lol)

he said he's shipped from himself to out of state FFLs before....but this is my first time doing something like this and i'm just tryin not to get ripped off or anything...so i guess i'll just tell him my FFL doesn't accept from out of state private parties and have him ship from his FFL....

So...if he goes through his FFL and i go throuh mine...i still send the money order to him tho...not to the FFL right?

Last edited by unknownhero82; 04-01-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #36

That depends. Just one quick way is to tell if he is really selling is to have him go through his FFL to your FFL. Once your FFL gets the gun, they call him or his FFL to let them know they have it. They don't release until he or his FFL clears payment. Then the check by your FFL and you go home happy.

The other way is for you to send him an easy to hide traceable payment and you never see the gun.

Choice is up to you, imo.

Quote:

Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #37

so i give the money order to MY FFL (FFL#1) and he give the gun to HIS FFL (FFL#2)...then FFL#1 sends money order to FFL#2 who send gun to FFL#1....when FFL#1 gets the gun the tell FFL#2 to clear the money order and give it to the seller, and i go do a background check and walk away with new 1911...

sorry if it seems like i'm asking the same thing a few times...i just want to make sure i'm sure and clear on what to do and how to do it seeings as this is my first time doing it this way