buying - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
And thank us for saving you a trip to the pen. The BATFE has been known to setup stings in cities near a states border. Savannah and Jacksonville are two that I know about...
yes definitaly thank you for saving me that trip...that's one i never want to make...yeah i had no clue that cross state in person private to private sales were illegal....thankfully i found that out before attempting to buy the gun and possibly getting arrested...again thank you for letting me know that

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #22

ok here's a curious question....since i just found out it's illegal to do a private sale since the seller and i live in different states...is it legal or possible for us to meet a FFL in either state and conduct the sale in person through the local FLL? like him and i met at a gun shop in VA and he hands? sells? the gun to the gun shop and i get the background check done at the gun shop and they give me the gun? is something like that legal? or even do-able?

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #23

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

It does not matter how the gun arrives at an FFL in YOUR state. This would have to be done in your state of residence. The best thing to do would be to find out if your FFL will receive guns from private individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #24

i actually just had my question answered and i'm gonna let the seller know that i'm only gonna purchase the firearm through the legal channels being him going through his FFL and me going through my FFL....i'm not tryin to take any chances

Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #25

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
It does not matter how the gun arrives at an FFL in YOUR state. This would have to be done in your state of residence. The best thing to do would be to find out if your FFL will receive guns from private individuals.
+1 on this.

Although it's perfectly legal for them to do so, many FFLs will not accept guns from private individuals...

Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not to jack your thread, but i've been thinking about giving a pistol to my nephew when i visit him in a neighboring state. I now wonder if that would violate any similar restrictions?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #27

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

gello, you are smart enough to research the laws. Better safe than sorry, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not to jack your thread, but i've been thinking about giving a pistol to my nephew when i visit him in a neighboring state. I now wonder if that would violate any similar restrictions?
haha no worries...i'm not to possessive of my threads lol...as long as everyone plays together niicely i'm cool with my thread switching topics lol

Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
It does not matter how the gun arrives at an FFL in YOUR state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Although it's perfectly legal for them to do so, many FFLs will not accept guns from private individuals...
This advice is correct, but a bit misleading. Buying a weapon as an FFL from an out of state individual takes some "good faith". If the weapon is in any way, shape or form "hot" ( stolen, has been used in any sort of crime, doesn't belong to that particular family member ) then the FFL is putting themselves at risk, even if a buyer is all lined up to pay them more than they buy it for.

Two years down the road this gun gets resold, through another FFL, and it turns out to be evidence of some sort, tracking it back would not be hard as I doubt the OP is going to do hard time when he can point the law towards the shop he bought it from.

In that case, since the FFL was responsible for buying and selling "stolen or material" evidence, they can face SERIOUS repercussions, not the least of which is losing their FFL status.

It is just plain easier & cleaner to submit the weapon to an FFL in the seller's state and have them send it to an FFL in the buyer's state.

In a private sale that I did recently, I paid the FFL cost on this end ( to ship ) and the buyer paid the FFL cost on his end to take possession of the weapon.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
'gello - I have purchased a weapon in Washington State and sent it, as a gift, to a family member in another state without any hassle.

You can also send a weapon to any manufacturer you want inside the US without going through an FFL.

I would definitely research the laws in your area, but we did not have to do an FFL transfer for a gift.