buying - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
ok well i called up bob's gun shop in norfolk...they want $32 which is $30 for the transfer and $2 for the background check when the gun arrives...they said to just get them a fax number and they;ll take care of exchanging FFL's once i've bought the gun then they;ll call me when it gets there....does that sound pretty square or am i being set up for a scam? on GA it says he's an FFL so i'm guessin it's a pretty safe deal....and since a phone number is posted i was gonna try and call and do the sale that way to make sure he still had the gun for sale...does that sound good? is there anything else i should do or be aware of?

i can't stress enough how helpful you all always are and how grateful i am for having found this forum
Sounds about right, like Car54 said you might want as much paper just to be safe. Have them at the very least notify you when they have set everything up. I use e-mail, which for me is a great way to keep records. I also like to use credit because I have fraud protection, and I can verify payment. But as has been mentioned many dealers will want another 3%.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #12

awsum...well i'm definitaly gonna use money order for the gun and cash for the transfer fee/background check and i'm gonna tell my local FFL to keep me in the loop and e-mail me when it's all set up so i have a paper trail....thank you everyone for the advice and help

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Why they gotta charge for the background check? That in itself is a scam. That call costs them nothing. If you say you don't care about $2 for the check, then you don't get the principle of the matter.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #14

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Skullcrusher, here in Fla, it's $5 for the check. I had to cough it up being a LEO and also having a CC permit when I bought a .380 and an AR.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #15

yeah i was gonna say the $2 is a va thing...it sucks but it's a small price to pay for the power of a 1911

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
yeah i was gonna say the $2 is a va thing...it sucks but it's a small price to pay for the power of a 1911
Wow. I hear ya, but this is the first I've heard of a charge for just a phone call.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 03-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #17

Clarify if WV means Western Virginia or West Virginia (the state). West Virginia has not been part of Virginia for a long time now.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
They are a WV resident, you are a VA resident. Sales between residents of different states MUST be done thru an FFL. It is federal law...
ok well i didn't know that private sales between states wasn't legal...now i know...i'll contact the seller and let them know and we;ll do it through a FFL

Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

And thank us for saving you a trip to the pen. The BATFE has been known to setup stings in cities near a states border. Savannah and Jacksonville are two that I know about...

Old 03-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #20

Stings have been done along the Ohio river as well.

From C3Shooter:

Quote: