buy and sell gun privately - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > buy and sell gun privately

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Private sales are perfectly legal in the 'free states'...although there may be some minor hoops to jump through...paper permits, bill of sale, ID, etc. I don't know Texas' laws regarding that so you'd be well advised to go to the Texas DOJ website and do some research, even if only for future transactions since it sounds like you've already made the transaction...

If you know your buyer personally, and trust them, go ahead and do the deal...

If you have even the slightest concern, transfer it through an FFL dealer, or don't do the deal...that's the best way to CYA...

I am not a lawyer...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Private sales are perfectly legal in the 'free states'...although there may be some minor hoops to jump through...paper permits, bill of sale, ID, etc. I don't know Texas' laws regarding that so you'd be well advised to go to the Texas DOJ website and do some research, even if only for future transactions since it sounds like you've already made the transaction...

If you know your buyer personally, and trust them, go ahead and do the deal...

If you have even the slightest concern, transfer it through an FFL dealer, or don't do the deal...that's the best way to CYA...

I am not a lawyer...
the OP did say the buyer was his step brother, so IMO, i don't think there would be any problems.

in the state of Texas, i am not aware of having to do any type of paperwork or being required to keep or get any information to do a private sale or trade.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #13

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

For me, there is about 0 (ZERO) people I would privately transfer a gun to. It's not that I know bad people, or mistrust everybody, CYA is it. Now if someone else wasn't so concerned as I am about CYA, and wanted to sell me one, that might be a different story.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
For me, there is about 0 (ZERO) people I would privately transfer a gun to. It's not that I know bad people, or mistrust everybody, CYA is it. Now if someone else wasn't so concerned as I am about CYA, and wanted to sell me one, that might be a different story.
So, you would buy a gun from a private sale but not sell to the same person?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
there are a few people i would sell privately to, but very few, if i were inclined to sell. first of all, those few people i know are legal to purchase firearms, second, i would only sell to a complete stranger through an FFL. i have had a few transactions fall through because i wanted to do the transfer through an FFL. to me that was a huge red flag. they may have been perfectly legal to buy a gun, and just wanted one under the radar so to speak, but it just didn't feel right.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #16

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

DrumJunkie, I did use the word "might". I could think of some instances where I might not buy one, either....

Old 07-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #17

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

There is exactly 5 people I would sell a gun to that are not direct blood related. Other than that you are either going to give me your name and address from your DL or no deal. I am a 100% supporter of CYA.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

me its either my brother that i know and grew up with or a pawn shop. thats it!