Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > buy and sell gun privately

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default buy and sell gun privately

i ran into money problems and step brother wanted to buy one of my guns a rifle to exact hes 20 years old he has no criminal background whats so ever he a law abiding citizen with no criminal intentions whats so ever we live in texas i sold him my rifle is the any registering for firearms in texas could we get in trouble for this transaction? need to know thank you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts

nope & nope

Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

so we are in the clear?

Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Liked 5307 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMoeDown47
so we are in the clear?
Absolutely

No offense and none taken

Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Liked 16788 Times on 9733 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

some states have laws regarding private party sales of firearms. some only have laws pertaining to certain types of firearms. in Texas, you can do a private sale of any legal firearm. (no SBS, SBR, FA or suppressors)

as long as you have reasonable thinking the person is legal to buy a firearm, you're in good shape. EG: if your BIL spent time in prison on drug charges, then they would believe that you woulld have known this and then selling him a firearm wuld land both of you in trouble. but a complete stranger, you have no way of doing a background check. in the past i have done some private part sales, but went through an FFL. if the person balked at that, then i figure they have something to hide and i don't want to eal with them anyways.

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

well i rather sell my rifle to my.step brother because i grew up with the man than sell to a complete stranger if he didnt buy it i would have taken it to a pawn shop i rather get ripped off at a pawn shop then get my rights taken away. buts its my brother so we're cool thanks guys!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1759

I only sell to other CCW holders.

I have a right to choose what I

do, and for firearms purposes, this is

a bill of clean health.

I thought about this long and hard. How

would I feel, if I sold a gun to somebody

who used it irresponsibly? As a reasonable gun

owner, you have to have some set of standards.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #8

Liked 1074 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Here in Florida I was going to buy a S&W 357 used from someone I did not know. He asked for proof I was a Florida resident, I showed him my CCW and my license, and also said I was legal to buy the gun. He told me he wanted a copy of each before we completed the transaction. I told him there was no way in hades I was letting anyone copy either of those two cards. The deal ended there.

In Florida I was compliant with the existing law for private transfer of a handgun. He told me he wanted to make sure if they changed the law he could prove he sold it to someone. I told him if they change the law, and make it retroactive they will have to build more prisons for those that broke a law that was not a law when the transaction took place. .

He stood firm on his position as did I. I left without the gun. He left without the cash.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

That guy might have been from il. We have to exchange foid card information and keep it on record for 10 years for a private sale and the state police recommend a copy of the drivers license also.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #10

Liked 636 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Yeah, like hell I'd let someone walk with copies of my info like that.

OP, maybe you should ask those questions BEFORE you do something, if you're concerned......