Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   buy and sell gun privately (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/buy-sell-gun-privately-93514/)

MajorMoeDown47 07-07-2013 06:31 PM

buy and sell gun privately

i ran into money problems and step brother wanted to buy one of my guns a rifle to exact hes 20 years old he has no criminal background whats so ever he a law abiding citizen with no criminal intentions whats so ever we live in texas i sold him my rifle is the any registering for firearms in texas could we get in trouble for this transaction? need to know thank you!

sniper762 07-07-2013 06:39 PM

nope & nope

MajorMoeDown47 07-07-2013 06:41 PM

so we are in the clear?

MisterMcCool 07-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorMoeDown47
so we are in the clear?

Absolutely :)

Axxe55 07-07-2013 06:55 PM

some states have laws regarding private party sales of firearms. some only have laws pertaining to certain types of firearms. in Texas, you can do a private sale of any legal firearm. (no SBS, SBR, FA or suppressors)

as long as you have reasonable thinking the person is legal to buy a firearm, you're in good shape. EG: if your BIL spent time in prison on drug charges, then they would believe that you woulld have known this and then selling him a firearm wuld land both of you in trouble. but a complete stranger, you have no way of doing a background check. in the past i have done some private part sales, but went through an FFL. if the person balked at that, then i figure they have something to hide and i don't want to eal with them anyways.

MajorMoeDown47 07-07-2013 06:59 PM

well i rather sell my rifle to my.step brother because i grew up with the man than sell to a complete stranger if he didnt buy it i would have taken it to a pawn shop i rather get ripped off at a pawn shop then get my rights taken away. buts its my brother so we're cool thanks guys!

therewolf 07-07-2013 07:09 PM

I only sell to other CCW holders.

I have a right to choose what I

do, and for firearms purposes, this is

a bill of clean health.

I thought about this long and hard. How

would I feel, if I sold a gun to somebody

who used it irresponsibly? As a reasonable gun

owner, you have to have some set of standards.

Daoust_Nat 07-07-2013 09:25 PM

Here in Florida I was going to buy a S&W 357 used from someone I did not know. He asked for proof I was a Florida resident, I showed him my CCW and my license, and also said I was legal to buy the gun. He told me he wanted a copy of each before we completed the transaction. I told him there was no way in hades I was letting anyone copy either of those two cards. The deal ended there.

In Florida I was compliant with the existing law for private transfer of a handgun. He told me he wanted to make sure if they changed the law he could prove he sold it to someone. I told him if they change the law, and make it retroactive they will have to build more prisons for those that broke a law that was not a law when the transaction took place. .

He stood firm on his position as did I. I left without the gun. He left without the cash.

Drkuhar 07-13-2013 09:20 PM

That guy might have been from il. We have to exchange foid card information and keep it on record for 10 years for a private sale and the state police recommend a copy of the drivers license also.

clr8ter 07-13-2013 09:53 PM

Yeah, like hell I'd let someone walk with copies of my info like that.

OP, maybe you should ask those questions BEFORE you do something, if you're concerned......